Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 08 Dec 2013 0:01 User comments (16)

Microsoft: Methods on the Web to add backwards compatibility to Xbox One will brick your console A new image has been making its way across the web this week, promising Xbox One gamers a way to enable dev kit mode for their console and add backwards compatibility for Xbox 360 games.
Microsoft has quickly dismissed the method, stating that you will brick your console if you try the six-step method.

Rather than give you backwards compatibility, Microsoft warns the console will stay in a constant reboot cycle.

The image itself (do NOT try):

More news

Related news

18.12.2013 0:15

Come on! haha

I can see why people would want to believe it.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

28.12.2013 0:16

Wow that's a pretty quick process

38.12.2013 16:28

haha great...idiots

49.12.2013 20:48

Not buying a Xbone till it can play 360 games anyway.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations

510.12.2013 0:52

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Not buying a Xbone till it can play 360 games anyway.
How can it? Through emulation? Or are you just kidding around Zip?

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

610.12.2013 1:53

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Not buying a Xbone till it can play 360 games anyway.
Neither of the new systems are backwards compatible, they have completely different architectures then last gen. This was all old news almost a year ago. And for fucks sake stop saying Xbone, it's old and makes you sound ignorant.

710.12.2013 2:18

I like saying xbone :P

Furthermore, I find "XBox One" or "X1" incredibly pretentious and obfuscatory. Further furthermore, XBox One was what we already called the first XBox.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Dec 2013 @ 2:24

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

810.12.2013 3:16

Come on now, it's not completely the same first one was Xbox 1 this time it's One... Lol. They probably didn't figure that, at least they tried. It is a little better then just adding sequential numbers after your name *cough* Playstation. I like playing both systems so I really don't care what they're called.

910.12.2013 4:51

They were probably hoping it would be referred to as "The One" like we say "the 360".

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

1010.12.2013 9:54

Originally posted by Jemborg:
But unfortunately Xbone has pretty well set itself.

As for backwards compatibility, they both claimed to offer a "streaming" way to play old games but that's not the same as taking your old disk and using it. There would be a select library that would likely rotate games like the PS+ membership does. AFAIK Xbone has scrapped this idea entirely and PS is currently flaberghasted with the way streaming works without having everybody doing live sex shows.

1112.12.2013 0:39

haha

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

1212.12.2013 1:00

Originally posted by Qliphah:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
But unfortunately Xbone has pretty well set itself.

This generation is all about "the less you own, the better".

*\\\****//\\\***//\\\*****
**\\\**//**\\\*//**\\\*******
***\\\//****\\\ ****\\\****

1312.12.2013 4:46

Originally posted by Bigwillyz:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Not buying a Xbone till it can play 360 games anyway.
no BWC no buy.

---
Check out my crappy creations

1413.12.2013 18:12

I can see why you would want to play Xbox 360 games on the Xbox One. When I got my Super NES, I kept jamming my NES cartridges in the slot but it just wouldn't work.

Seriously, you have an Xbox 360. Play your Xbox 360 games on that console. It's not that hard.

1514.12.2013 0:03

Seems like all of the stupid people bought an xbone...duh. Microsoft sure knew their target demographic.

1614.12.2013 9:15

Call me crazy (which I'm sure at least a few of you will), but the PS2 played PS1 games just fine, and even the 360 played a few Xbox games. One would infer from this that as technology improves over the years it would be EASIER and not harder or impossible to be backwards compatible...maybe it's just me. That was the major sticking point for me in getting an Xbox One...I don't need yet another console hogging shelf space in my entertainment center just to have backward compatibility.

As far as the "X One" or "X1" goes, they are very careful not to call it that, because that is the name of the new DVR system that Comcast is ever-so-slowly rolling out.