AT&T giving T-Mobile users up to $450 to switch carriers

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 05 Jan 2014 17:01 User comments (6)

AT&T giving T-Mobile users up to $450 to switch carriers T-Mobile, which has not-so-quietly been taking back subscribers from rival carriers, seems to have struck a nerve with the U.S' second-largest carrier, AT&T, which is now offering up to $450 to users that switch over.
AT&T has offered up to $250 for smartphone trade-ins along with $200 credit per phone line.

T-Mobile started a revolution last year when it eliminated contracts, instead making subscribers purchase their own phones (or finance them) in exchange for much cheaper monthly rates. The company then introduced "Jump," a program that allows customers to upgrade their phones twice per year at a cost of $10 per month. Finally, the company killed off international roaming data fees and dropped the price on minutes and texting when roaming.

The U.S.' third-largest carrier, Sprint (Softbank), appears to be readying a bid for T-Mobile, and such a merger would create a company large enough to properly compete with Verizon and AT&T, which have created a duopoly in the nation.

Related news

15.1.2014 17:35

You'll end up paying AT&T that $450 right back within half a year.

25.1.2014 18:27

^What he said^....

35.1.2014 19:22

I'm glad I went with Ting (2nd-party provider using Sprint Verizon's voice networks, but ONLY SPrint's data network). With BYOD ("Bring Your Own Device") and FAR lower prices, even standard prepaid is (usually) more expensive.

I've avoided AT&T like the spotted plague, since my grandfathered Cellular One plan (they were bought out by AT&T) was cancelled for a bogus reason, then reoffered back to me with crappier terms at almost twice the price.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Jan 2014 @ 21:02

45.1.2014 20:01

AT&T is desperate in getting more customers. They are plainly greedy. I'm not a fan of theres. The marketing people are more than likely banking on the money so people will foolishly switch. It will be interesting for sure.

56.1.2014 2:02

AT&T couldn't pay me enough to switch back to them.

68.1.2014 14:26

Originally posted by SoTired:
AT&T couldn't pay me enough to switch back to them.

Well say it :)

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.