Qualcomm shows off octo-core, 64-bit mobile chip

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 24 Feb 2014 21:04 User comments (9)

Qualcomm shows off octo-core, 64-bit mobile chip Qualcomm has unveiled their Snapdragon 615 today, the company's first octo-core, 64-bit mobile processor.
The company also showed off the Snapdragon 610, a 64-bit quad-core brother to the 615.

Featuring up to eight 64-bit ARM Cortex A53 cores, integrated LTE and Adreno 405 GPUs, the chips will be high-end entrants to the 600-series lineup, but will not be able to perform on par with the extremely high-end 800-series lineup.

Marketing VP Tim McDonough almost comically admitted that the decision to move to eight cores was based off Chinese consumer market research that found that smartphone buyers in China just liked more cores, "whether or not they make a big difference."

"They say the number of CPUs is important to them, which means it's important to our OEMs, which means it's important to us,"
added McDonough.

The new chips will hit the market in the Q4.

More news

Related news

125.2.2014 1:11

Can someone please tell me if all these cores on a mobile phone/tablet EVER get exploited? Unless you multi-task like a demon then what's the point!?!

Seriously... as a parallel... I built a budget PC gamer for someone with an (desktop) i3 and you would not know it was not a i5 when gaming, cross my heart!

----------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Feb 2014 @ 1:12

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

225.2.2014 14:16

Originally posted by Jemborg:

----------------------------------------------------------------
I can't remember the last time I read such babbling nonsense regarding a comment made about an article in specific.

What does the 3rd sentence have to do with anything? REMOVE! And don't make comments that only you can make sense of please.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Feb 2014 @ 14:16

325.2.2014 14:38

Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by Jemborg:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Because the i3 has only a single core or 2 cores depending on the model. Jemborg's 3rd sentence has everything to do with the article, yours however, does not.

As for my own comment:
I think it's funny that the article mentions "smartphone buyers in China" as a group. I guess we now know where "they" stand in the Cores vs Threads debate. Lol!

425.2.2014 15:02

Originally posted by cart0181:
Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by Jemborg:

----------------------------------------------------------------

It is indeed because the i3 is a dual core.

Most people would ask for a clarification. Hearme0 gets off on acting the ignorant jerk... it's to be expected.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

525.2.2014 20:29

hes just off his meds again.when hes level he can be pretty insightful when hes level.lol

625.2.2014 23:17

Originally posted by aldan:
Oh yeah? I've yet to appraised of that.

Meanwhile, my first sentence has yet be answered by someone less of a twat who actually might know something about mobile tech.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

726.2.2014 0:47

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Originally posted by aldan:
Oh yeah? I've yet to appraised of that.

in answer to your first question,i sure dont see how all 8 cores could possibly be utilized.this sounds like a sales gimmick to me.perhaps our erudite friend could shed some wisdom on this one.

826.2.2014 0:57

Originally posted by aldan:
...perhaps our erudite friend could shed some wisdom on this one.
LOL

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

926.2.2014 15:41

Originally posted by aldan:
....I sure don't see how all 8 cores could possibly be utilized....
My best bet: If the smartphone is used to get internet access for a lap-top, etc. lol
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Feb 2014 @ 15:45

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.