Sprint's plan to bid on T-Mobile closer to fruition

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 01 May 2014 22:17 User comments (11)

Sprint's plan to bid on T-Mobile closer to fruition Sprint, who has been rumored to be preparing a bid for rival T-Mobile, is closer to doing so after meeting with banks in order to make debt arrangements.
CFO Joe Euteneuer and Treasurer Greg Block met with as many as six banks to structure the financing of the bid, which could be as high as $40 billion.

Sprint was recently acquired by Japan's third-largest carrier, SoftBank, and a merger of Sprint (third largest carrier in the U.S.) and T-Mobile (a close fourth) is likely just another inevitably in the ever consolidating industry.

The Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice will have to approve such a deal, which is not a definite. A merger would reduce costs between the giants, and expand capacity. Sprint would also have to agree to a deal termination fee, in case regulators break up the effort. When AT&T tried to acquire T-Mobile and was blocked by regulators, they had to pay $6 billion, literally paying T-Mobile to become a much stronger rival.

Sprint is the only major carrier to continue to lose subscribers, and the only carrier to report losses nearly every quarter. T-Mobile, on the other hand, has gained millions of new subscribers in the last year after ditching contracts, dropping the price of monthly bills for unlimited options, and adding free features like international roaming.

Source:
Bloomberg

Related news

11.5.2014 22:21

LOL After they made a big stink about AT&T when it tried to do the same thing

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.67Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon 5770HD, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2TB Additional HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate.

21.5.2014 22:23

If Sprint is losing money, why would T-mobile(who I use) want to have them buy them out; so they can lose all their hard earned customers? Or does T-mobile just know that it won't go through and like AT&T, they will just have to pay for a lost cause?

31.5.2014 23:01

Originally posted by GryphB:
Hopefully. I love T-Mobile (have had for a decade) and Sprint just flat out sucks.

42.5.2014 3:56

I hope this doesn't go through. I love my T-Mobile just the way it is.

52.5.2014 12:39

Originally posted by DDR4life:
I hope this doesn't go through. I love my T-Mobile just the way it is.
Ditto... I see a trend, FU Sprint ;)

62.5.2014 13:06

Sprint is garbage in every respect. T-Mobile is great because they are smaller. You can even speak to a live human after only 3 or 4 key presses. If Sprint buys them, I'm going back to the two-can method.

72.5.2014 13:07

Somehow my post above was duplicated.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 May 2014 @ 13:07

82.5.2014 13:35

Plus what makes no sense is that they operate on different systems - T-Mobile on GSM and Sprint on CDMA. That will be a nightmare that will take years to combine.

92.5.2014 16:34

Originally posted by ChiefBrdy:
Somehow my post above was duplicated.
Duplication happen when we post first & we don't see the post, then we post again.
My advice:
Post 1 time only, then refresh.

Back on topic:
No love for the very ugly duck Sprint !
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 May 2014 @ 16:47

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

103.5.2014 23:15

Been with T-Mobile for almost 9 years, they have given me some very good deals, and have been very helpful whenever I had issues with either coverage or their data network, including discounting my data plan for an entire month. I have had nothing but good things from them while I have been a loyal customer.

Sprint.....they can go and suck on a few things that if I post here, may either be edited or may get me a suspension!

116.5.2014 0:34

Originally posted by ChiefBrdy:
Lmao. What size and type of cans produce the best sound?

Latest news

Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations (17 Dec 2014 22:56)
A little over a month after Plex released an app for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the personal media streaming company has released apps for the PS3 and PS4.
U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack (17 Dec 2014 21:52)
According to numerous media outlets, U.S. government officials will announce tomorrow that North Korea was indeed behind the devastating hack on Sony Pictures.
1 user comment
Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV (17 Dec 2014 20:30)
Sony Pictures has now decided against ever releasing 'The Interview' in any form, almost guaranteeing themselves a $100 million loss on the film.
Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' (17 Dec 2014 20:00)
Following news that all the major U.S. movie theater chains would not be showing 'The Interview,' Sony Pictures announced it was canceling the release of the film, which was slated to open on Christmas in the U.S.
1 user comment
The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail (17 Dec 2014 19:39)
Just hours after major U.S. theater chains said they would not screen the film following terrorists threats, Sony has canceled the release of 'The Interview,' a comedy in which Seth Rogen and James Franco are sent to North Korea to assassinate Kim Jo