Xbox One external drive support leaked in photo, coming soon

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 18 May 2014 14:48 User comments (7)

Xbox One external drive support leaked in photo, coming soon Earlier this year, Microsoft confirmed it was considering added support for external hard drives for the Xbox One.
Now, thanks to a new photo, it appears that day may be coming soon.

Coming via an Xbox One developer, an updated dashboard shows off the external drive support, including how much free space is still available (in this case 586 GB). The developer only says "Soon...." so expect the update in the coming months.

The move will be welcomed by millions of Xbox One owners that had to rely on the console's non-removable 500GB internal drive.

Source:
Reddit

More news

Related news

123.5.2014 10:06

About time you are able to do this with a console!

223.5.2014 18:13

Doesnt the 360 have this capability?

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1333, Corsair 750TX PSU
10 TB Wes Dig. 64G Corsair SSD

324.5.2014 12:26

Originally posted by 8686:
Doesnt the 360 have this capability?
Limited to 16 or 32GB only.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations

424.5.2014 21:10

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by 8686:
Doesnt the 360 have this capability?
Limited to 16 or 32GB only.

Not quite.

For game saves & game data the limit is 32gb (whether by flash drive or partition on a larger external hard drive).

For music, films & pics the limit (if there is one, I'm not sure) is 2tb. I never had an external hard drive not work on my 360 (& I hooked up as large as 2tb to it).
If you format the external hard drive in the HFS format you also lose the 4gb FAT32 limitation (handy for many HD rips).

524.5.2014 21:23

Originally posted by Interestx:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Originally posted by 8686:
Doesnt the 360 have this capability?
Limited to 16 or 32GB only.

Not quite.

Ah thanks for the info!

---
Check out my crappy creations

625.5.2014 8:56

I thought so. So, the above article does not say whether this external drive storage can b used to store games, saves, dlc. Which would make this feature assumed and not really a luxury.
Still nice tho. Lets hope that it can save that stuff. There are some great deals to b had on xbl. And now that games w gold seems to b a permanent thing, my hdd will fill up quicker than planned.

Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1333, Corsair 750TX PSU
10 TB Wes Dig. 64G Corsair SSD

725.5.2014 10:12

Originally posted by 8686:
Still nice tho. Lets hope that it can save that stuff.
I will happily stand to be corrected but I'm pretty sure one of the nice changes for XB1 is that the external drive will be opened up completely for game data saves & game storage.

Latest user comments