Sony shows off Curved 4K HDTVs

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 08 Aug 2014 13:45 User comments (7)

Sony shows off Curved 4K HDTVs Sony has joined competitors in announcing large, curved 4K HDTVs for the mass market.
The consumer electronics maker has unveiled 65 and a 75-inch S90 models, both of which are less curved than existing LG or Samsung TVs. Sony says this helps for a more immersive experience and improved viewing angles for larger groups.

Powering the TV is an UltraHD Triluminos display with Sony's own "X-tended dynamic range" for darker blacks and better brightness. The TV also has advanced HD-to-4K upscaling capabilities, active 3D and even angled speakers and subwoofers for 4.2 surround sound.

If you are into "social viewing," there is a live football mode for tweeting and photo sharing while you watch.

Priced well out of the range of the average family, the TVs are expected to cost $5000 and $7500, respectively.

Source:
Sony

Related news

18.8.2014 17:09

The price is no bad.
I almost pay that 10 years ago for the same size.

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

29.8.2014 13:07

Originally posted by Mrguss:
The price is no bad.
I almost pay that 10 years ago for the same size.
Except when you know oled is coming down the pipeline for mass production very soon, then the price will go down substantially on 4k. they're trying to milk "4k" so badly, before that happens. Basically 4k will be the price of a cheap lcd.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Aug 2014 @ 13:17

39.8.2014 14:16

My next one gonna be an 85" or bigger with a good price (10K-)

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

411.8.2014 11:25

Originally posted by bankai987:
Originally posted by Mrguss:
The price is no bad.
I almost pay that 10 years ago for the same size.
ANYONE that paid that 10 years ago just threw money away for the sake of saying "I had it first" BUT, setting that aside, a price such as that would have only been for high end like XBRs and that would have made you an average to terrible decision-maker for doing that. Even my mom's 55" 3DTV from Sony was only 3000.00

As for OLED "coming down the pipeline for mass production very soon", NOT GONNA HAPPEN. We're still 8-10 years from 4K implementation and OLED is a solid 7-8 years from "mass production" so stop spreading propaganda spewing from your arbitrary mouth.

Now..........about the TV. I saw one over at Fry's Electronics and they are absolute CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

BRUTAL GLARE that they claim is minimal which is a load of sh*t!

The glare on these stretches out across the ENTIRE screen making it VERY VERY DIFFICULT to watch. The glare doesn't reflect the exact mirrored image that one can clearly make out as with current flat TVs. Curved TVs are like 3D phones man......just stupid for simple minded folk that like to brag about their bad-decisions.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Aug 2014 @ 11:26

511.8.2014 14:37

I'm hard to please. But when I see something it really do the difference on everything you have see out there. Is when I just say: Take my money.
Course, you have to pay for what you get, hopping it will last you for a long time; before it be replaced for something more up-to-date.
10yrs.(+) for a 6K 75" is not bad.

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

611.8.2014 15:50

Originally posted by Mrguss:
10yrs.(+) for a 6K 75" is not bad.
You got lucky. I asked a handful of TV techs and they ALL SAY THE SAME THING.........that they haven't seen TVs last more than about average 5-6 years and that flat panels haven't been "mainstreamed" long enough to gauge their true reliability. Mine burnt out, mom's burnt out and few friends too. Perhaps you have a projection because they last longer.

Either way, enjoy it while you can cause you're lucky as hell to honestly have a tv from 10 years ago that still works, especially if you haven't done ANY repairs. TVs are absolute crap and made as such too.

713.8.2014 6:14

I thought sony was getting out of the tv business.

Latest user comments