AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung brings back smartphone formerly known as Galaxy Note7

Written by Matti Vähäkainu (Google+) @ 02 Jul 2017 12:46 User comments (7)

Samsung brings back smartphone formerly known as Galaxy Note7 Last year's catastrophic release of Galaxy Note7 made a lot of people question whether Samsung will ever release another Note smartphone. At this point, however, it is all but confirmed that Note8 will be released in just a couple of months. Note8 will not be the only Note device Samsung has to offer this year, though.
Late last year we started hearing rumors that Samsung might still try to bring the Note7 back even after releasing it twice while prone to exploding or catching fire. Many questioned the veracity of the rumors as it would seem highly risky to bring back such a controversial device. Nevertheless Samsung announced later on that it would bring the hardware back in the limited quantity it was sold last year.

Obviously this time around the phone needs to be safe, Samsung can't afford to fail once again, and the company has been taking their time to make sure the battery is repaired appropriately and works flawlessly. Now Samsung has, however, revealed that Galaxy Note FE, which stands for Fan Edition, will be available in Korea on July 7th. Pre-orders have already started.

Samsung has not revealed if Note FE will be available outside their homeland. Some reports have claimed that Samsung is bringing the phone to other Asian countries but no word on Europe or the US.

It is also uncertain how the public will respond to Note FE, especially since the release of Note8 closes in.

Previous Next Write a comment

7 user comments

13.7.2017 14:27

Really? This article is lame. If it doesn't apply to the U.S. then it doesn't matter.

Who cares what happens in the homeland of Samsung! Clearly they have little respect for their own peeps because this is a true slap in the face for the consumer by pawning this crappy assed Note 7 off when a Note 8 is right around the corner.

And frankly, Notes are now pointless as the 8 Plus is highly highly highly comparable.


Leave it to Samsung for yet another bad decision to be made.

Garbage company that produces garbage products with garbage QA. They're a mill, nothing more nothing less. I only commend Samsung for rocking out the LCD panels but that's been perfected so no glory there any longer.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Jul 2017 @ 14:28

23.7.2017 17:48

Their refrigerators suck too!

33.7.2017 23:46

Originally posted by hearme0:
This article is lame.

nope, but your comments are.
Originally posted by hearme0:
If it doesn't apply to the U.S. then it doesn't matter.

the world is not all about the US; so, stop your nonsense.
Originally posted by hearme0:
this is a true slap in the face for the consumer by pawning this crappy assed Note 7 off when a Note 8 is right around the corner.

not really. read and learn. most of the internals would be the same (as those were absolutely fine), but the battery related HW/SW would be taken care of.
Originally posted by hearme0:
And frankly, Notes are now pointless as the 8 Plus is highly highly highly comparable.

little knowledge is dangerous. notes will always be different as these have been different. stylus, some HW/SW uniqueness...always different. i'll look forward to the note 8.
Originally posted by hearme0:
Garbage company that produces garbage products with garbage QA.

if you think samsung is garbage, you are a toad living in a small well. grow up.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Jul 2017 @ 23:48

ASUS G73JW | Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB | OCZ 120GB SSD + Seagate 500GB Hybrid 7200rpm | 17.3" FHD/3D | Blu-ray Write | Win7Pro64

44.7.2017 12:08

Originally posted by mukhis:
Originally posted by hearme0:
This article is lame.

nope, but your comments are.
Originally posted by hearme0:
If it doesn't apply to the U.S. then it doesn't matter.

the world is not all about the US; so, stop your nonsense.
Originally posted by hearme0:
this is a true slap in the face for the consumer by pawning this crappy assed Note 7 off when a Note 8 is right around the corner.

not really. read and learn. most of the internals would be the same (as those were absolutely fine), but the battery related HW/SW would be taken care of.
Originally posted by hearme0:
And frankly, Notes are now pointless as the 8 Plus is highly highly highly comparable.

little knowledge is dangerous. notes will always be different as these have been different. stylus, some HW/SW uniqueness...always different. i'll look forward to the note 8.
Originally posted by hearme0:
Garbage company that produces garbage products with garbage QA.

if you think samsung is garbage, you are a toad living in a small well. grow up.
While I agree that he did his normal "explode for no reason" thing, I do have to agree that Samsung phones are junk. The firmware is just terrible and they do everything they can to keep users from fixing it...then they issue update after update that slows it down even more so after 2 years it is almost unusable while a phone that cost 1/4 as much is still perfectly functional after 3 years, in spite of getting more frequent (and faster) security updates. Plus, they seem designed to crack and their curved displays have finicky almost dead-spots around the edges. The battery issues were just another reason for me to stay away from this company, at least when it comes to android devices.

55.7.2017 22:21

Originally posted by KillerBug:
While I agree that he did his normal "explode for no reason" thing, I do have to agree that Samsung phones are junk. The firmware is just terrible and they do everything they can to keep users from fixing it...then they issue update after update that slows it down even more so after 2 years it is almost unusable while a phone that cost 1/4 as much is still perfectly functional after 3 years, in spite of getting more frequent (and faster) security updates. Plus, they seem designed to crack and their curved displays have finicky almost dead-spots around the edges. The battery issues were just another reason for me to stay away from this company, at least when it comes to android devices.

i won't call samsung's phones junks as i do have a different experience (samsung mega dual SIM). samsung has superior software layer (IMHO; i "prefer" the samsung interface) on top of android provided by google; however, in doing so, they have added a lot of bloatware which, of course, bothers me. samsung batteries last just "ökay" (presumably, thanks to the bloatware, and the relatively heavier layer; else, the battery life would be way better). samsung knox is best among android corporate security (mobileiron used/recommended by most corporate is extremely disappointing).

ASUS G73JW | Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB | OCZ 120GB SSD + Seagate 500GB Hybrid 7200rpm | 17.3" FHD/3D | Blu-ray Write | Win7Pro64

66.7.2017 11:36

Originally posted by mukhis:
Originally posted by hearme0:
This article is lame.

nope, but your comments are.
Originally posted by hearme0:
If it doesn't apply to the U.S. then it doesn't matter.

the world is not all about the US; so, stop your nonsense.
Originally posted by hearme0:
this is a true slap in the face for the consumer by pawning this crappy assed Note 7 off when a Note 8 is right around the corner.

not really. read and learn. most of the internals would be the same (as those were absolutely fine), but the battery related HW/SW would be taken care of.
Originally posted by hearme0:
And frankly, Notes are now pointless as the 8 Plus is highly highly highly comparable.

little knowledge is dangerous. notes will always be different as these have been different. stylus, some HW/SW uniqueness...always different. i'll look forward to the note 8.
Originally posted by hearme0:
Garbage company that produces garbage products with garbage QA.

if you think samsung is garbage, you are a toad living in a small well. grow up.


Yeah.........cause I'm all alone in this thought process......NOT!


I won't say anymore cause AD will ban me for laying into your meritless comment and YOU!

76.7.2017 20:39

good idea.

Comment this article

News archive