Subscribe to AfterDawn's weekly newsletter.
Version history for SMPlayer (Portable)
Changes for v0.8.4 - v0.8.5
- Due to changes in opensubtitles.org, smplayer couldn't find subtitles anymore. This has been fixed.
- The interface with support for skins is now the default.
- An option to enter url(s) in the playlist has been added.
- The options to change the size of the main window work now even if the autoresize is set to never.
- Two new options for Audio -> Stereo mode: Mono and Reverse.
- The option "Move the window when the video area is dragged" is now disabled by default because it has some issues that need to be addressed.
- (Linux) The problem with mplayer2 and the -fontconfig option has been fixed (sort of).
- New translation: Malay.
- Some configuration options are changed to new defaults after installation to ease upgrade from old versions.
Changes for v0.8.3 - v0.8.4
- New option to select the fps for external subtitles.
- The video equalizer dialog has been rewritten.
- Now smplayer checks for updates automatically and notifies the user if a new version is found.
- Support for encoding ISO-8859-16 for subtitles.
- New translations: Thai and Hebrew.
- Some bugfixes.
Changes for v0.8.2 - v0.8.3
- Fix for Youtube playback
Changes for v0.8.1 - v0.8.2
- A skinnable interface has been added. Several skins are included.
- Support for 6.1 and 7.1 audio output.
- A "Privacy" section in the preferences dialog has been added. You can disable saving the recent files or URLs.
- The main window can be moved by dragging the video area.
- Fix for a freeze that may happen on Windows XP.
Changes for v0.7.1 Rev 2 - v0.8.0
- A toolbar editor has been added. Now it's possible to select the buttons and controls that want to appear in the toolbars.
- New video filters: gradfun, blur and sharpen.
- Now it's possible to change the GUI (default, mini, mpc) at runtime, no restart required.
- sub files from opensubtitles should work again.
- (Youtube) Recognize short urls (like this one: http://y2u.be/F5OcZBVPwOA)
- Better support for chapters in video files.
- Bug fix: remote m3u files work from the favorites menu or command line.
- Internal changes in the single instance option (switch to QtSingleApplication).
Changes for v0.7.0 - v0.7.1
- This version includes some bug fixes, some of them important. It's highly recommended to update.
- SMPlayer took more than 10 seconds to show when running for the very first time.
- The links to download subtitles from Opensubtitles were wrong.
- SMPlayer crashed in the favorite editor when trying to select a file if the KDE open dialog was used.
- Some translations were missing in the Windows package.
- By default the screenshots are saved in the user's pictures folder instead of the SMPlayer's config folder.
- Now it's possible to change the opensubtitles server.
- Youtube: seeking is slow with flv videos, so now flv videos have the lowest priority.
- Youtube: now it's possible to search and download videos from youtube. This is provided by an external application (in linux you have to install an independent package: smtube).
Changes for v0.6.10 - v0.7.0
- New favorite menu, where you can add your favorite videos, music, streams, youtube videos... It's also possible to add submenus.
- Support for youtube. Now you can open urls like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=..... using the Open -> URL dialog or dragging a link from a browser to the smplayer window.
- Support for mplayer2 (http://www.mplayer2.org). It's a fork of mplayer with interesting features like precise seeking, ordered chapters in mkv videos and better pause handling (e.g. seek works while the video is paused).
- New translation: croatian.
Changes for v0.6.8 - v0.6.9
- A serious bug has been fixed: sometimes smplayer failed to find subtitles in opensubtitles.org.
- Implemented the possibility to mark an A-B section, to play a part of the file only.
- (Linux) smplayer doesn't use alsa as default audio driver anymore. It should fix freezing problems on Ubuntu.
- Possibility to display the video resolution and frames per second in the status bar.
- Audio: selection of left or right channel does work now.
- (Linux) Improved support for vdpau.