eDonkey challenges KaZaA in Europe

Written by Jari Ketola @ 14 Oct 2003 14:43 User comments (9)

eDonkey challenges KaZaA in Europe A study by Sandvine Incorporated shows that while FastTrack -based KaZaA is almost de facto P2P application in the United States, things are quite different in Europe. The diversity of P2P applications in Europe is larger, and eDonkey has quite a significant "market share" in many countries.
While KaZaA generates 76 percent of all the P2P traffic in the United States and Canada, for instance in Germany the percentage is only 44. The top P2P application in Germany is eDonkey, which generates 52% of file sharing traffic.

The study also discovered what many P2P users have known for quite a while now -- Gnutella is practically extinct.

Source:
PR Newswire

115.10.2003 1:49

Shows how intelligent the europeans and canadians are :P hehe

215.10.2003 5:46

eMule is a nice app because you can be almost certain you get what you want, IE no BS files. The thing is slow as hell though. With Kazaa Lite I could get excelent transfer-speeds but with eMule they are quite low. If I leave it on though it will give me more available sources, but that´s only after waiting for hours.

315.10.2003 11:40

My average speed for a file on eMule is 80kb/s, people need to realise that eMule is not like kazaa, there is work involved not just sit back and hit search!

416.10.2003 5:36

there is work involved not just sit back and hit search!
Now try to explain that to all the kazaa lovers out there who just wanna click :P
ASUS A8V Deluxe, A64-3500 @ 2.65
1GB KingMax PC3700
640GB [4x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
XFX 6800GT 256MB
Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487

516.10.2003 7:24

It boils down to 3 main things: 1) Speed 2) Number of Search results 3) Ease of use I dont care much if you need a rocket science degree to find something.

www.mp3.com/adsr - I produce various styles of electronic music.

616.10.2003 7:30

My average speed for a file on eMule is 80kb/s
Lucky sod :) Any idea of why my speeds are so terrible?
I consider that to be one of Kazaa´s finer features, the ease of use and "immediately ready to go"-experience for users like me who just download once in awhile. Now if only that damn thing worked.

718.10.2003 18:35

eMule gives a much better selection for larger files than Kaaza. I have tried to find varios PC games via Kaaza without any luck. For example "Soul Reaver 2" and "Thief II: the Metal Age" I could not find them after many attempts on both Kaaza and iMesh. By going through eMule, I found what I wanted. End statement: Kaaza/iMesh/Grokster work good for common small files and eMule works best for large files. Also I havent been able to find many roms for Game System emulators via Kaaza, but eMule has just about all of them. On the other hand: eMule does require some tweaking, patience, and some time to learn the features. It took me about a week to learn the software in detail. Once you get past all of the technical stuff, I found it is actually one of the best P2P out there.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time. - Catherine Zandonella
Reality is an illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol. - W.C. Fields

822.10.2003 16:20

Er, no piracy please.

Everyone is entitled to their own true opinion. Either respect that or don't.

922.10.2003 23:39

Yes i just back up originals that are scratched ;)

www.mp3.com/adsr - I produce various styles of electronic music.