Samsung unveils 2 new DVD writers and 2 new Blu-Ray writers

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 21 Mar 2007 20:36 User comments (6)

Samsung unveils 2 new DVD writers and 2 new Blu-Ray writers At CeBIT, Samsung Electronics, the industry giant, has unveiled 2 new DVD writers and 2 new Blu-Ray burners.
The SH-S203 with SATA writes DVD±R at 20x, DVD±R DL/-RAM at 12x, DVD+RW at 8x, and the DVD-RW at 6x. The SH-S203 is the first certified burner to have 12x writing speeds for dual layer DVDs.

The SE-S204 is an external burner using USB 2.0. Shipment for the SH-S204 begin in May.

The SE-B046 is an external Blu-ray burner with USB 2.0/IEEE 1394 (Firewire).

The SH-B043 can write Blu-Ray recordable discs at 4x, and BD-RE at 2x. "The drive uses 2 lens and 2 laser diodes for supporting all BD/DVD/CD formats. The external player will only be available in 2008, while the built-in one will be in store by year end."

SE-B046

Here is a pic taken by our Afterdawn staff live at CeBIT.
CeBIT SH-B043 pic

Source:
PClaunches

122.3.2007 2:25

This looks similar to the old pioneer drives. But I don't know how good Samsung Drives are.

222.3.2007 7:22

They cost from $500-$900 right now. So I say wait like 6months to a year and they will be in a cost friendly range.

322.3.2007 7:45

Samsung and now Toshiba drives are pretty crappy now that they are a joint operation. I have two 16x Samsungs that are so flakey that I can only run them in certain PC's with some stability. I've made a lot of coasters with their burners I won't buy another one for some time. If it was our only choice for the new BD's I might try one, maybe.

422.3.2007 10:01

If thats the price tags on them at the moment i will wait also plus wait for all the bugs to disappear.

522.3.2007 16:17

Yup from all the places i looked they ranged between those numbers. I remember when dvd burners were high like that. Was not that long ago.

623.3.2007 8:57
85thor

I have 2 Samsung SH-S182D DVD burners in this PC that may be the best burners I have used. As good as my old Plextor and Sony if not better. After several hundred burns each, no coasters. Nero CD-DVD Speed Test Utility shows them to be very good drives. I also have 2 Samsung HDs in this PC, too. Excellent HDs.

Bottom line is every new technology first release is expensive, often buggy from anyone. Rule of thumb is to wait and let price drop, competition of makers happen and quality be proven.