Warner to ship 1 million Blu-ray 'Dark Knight' copies

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 12 Nov 2008 0:46 User comments (14)

Warner to ship 1 million Blu-ray 'Dark Knight' copies According to Video Business, the box office smash hit The Dark Knight can add another milestone to its list, highest selling HD title of all time.
Although the movie isn't set for release until December 9th, Warner is believed to be shipping 1.1 million units of the film for its launch date, the first time a Blu-ray film has ever hit the 1 million milestone.

Although accurate figures for Blu-ray sales are hard to come by, 'The Dark Knight' is expected to be the highest seller in the format's short history, surpassing previous trend setters Casino Royale, Transformers and Iron Man.

Casino Royale was the first HD title to sell 100,000 units (back in March 2007), and Transformers was supposedly the first HD title to ever hit 500,000, also in 2007. More recently, Iron Man smashed any previous Blu-ray record by selling an estimated 782,000 units in its first week.

112.11.2008 0:57

Are these figures for North America, or Global ?

212.11.2008 20:44

I won't be on that list. Movie was a disappointment in the theaters.
1.1 million shipped units doesn't mean sales, it would be interesting to see how many are left over.

312.11.2008 20:52

Originally posted by chubbyInc:
I won't be on that list. Movie was a disappointment in the theaters.
You are definitely in a very small percentage of people who view DK as a disappointment in theaters (whether you meant sales or story line).

$997,607,482 WW Gross YTD ~ http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darkknight.htm
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Nov 2008 @ 20:53

412.11.2008 21:14

Originally posted by Oner:
Originally posted by chubbyInc:
I won't be on that list. Movie was a disappointment in the theaters.

Not to mention a 94% rating on rotten tomatoes:

That's as good as it gets for a "comic book" movie.

517.11.2008 0:28

No I didn't mean sales.
I also haven't read any reviews on the movie.

The story line was ok, but dragged on too long. The main fault of the movie was the actress. Some of the action parts were a little unrealistic.
What I meant was that I wouldn't be on pre-order or buy the movie on release date. Once it hits the $15 or less price then I might buy.

617.11.2008 11:33

I can agree 100% that the actress who played Rachel Dawes (Maggie Gyllenhaal) was pretty tough to look at...I just don't understand how they went from this

to this

I actually didn't even care that Katie Holmes didn't reprise her role but to go with that ugly live action Salvadore Dali portrait looking woman was just wrong (for those who don't know of hand follow this link)...

717.11.2008 19:18
Icanbe

Already pre-ordered mine.
Looking forward to seeing it.

20 Years ago I saw you yesterday, Youre looking at the picture now.
We Are, What We Are - Sepultura
Say what you want, Time will always tell the truth.

817.11.2008 23:37
kubapolak

I'm most likely going to be in line as well, I do agree that is was long, but action never stops!!!

923.11.2008 14:52

Originally posted by chubbyInc:
No I didn't mean sales.
I also haven't read any reviews on the movie.

Then again, almost all of the stunts were real.

1011.12.2008 23:39

Once it hits the $15 or less price then I might buy.
I hope you checked out the price this past Tuesday cause I know a few place's were selling the movie for less than $15.

And do they have numbers yet as to how many they have sold or do you think they will wait for one full week of sales ?

1112.12.2008 23:43

I must say it was a good movie and one of the few that I saw in the theaters this year. It was "dark" and "slow" at times but over all a good movie with some brilliant acting. I'm with whoever mentioned the change in actresses, NOT that M. Gyllenhaal is ugly but there are many others that would have fit the bill much better. I even told my wife that on the day we saw it in the theater. ;)

How many copies will it sell?? Who really knows that? lol.

...gm

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???

1212.12.2008 23:51

Originally posted by greensman:
How many copies will it sell?? Who really knows that? lol.
600,000 BluRay units for North America and the UK on Day 1

1 Million BluRay units expected by the end of Week 1

The previous Day 1 BluRay record was Iron Man with 250,000.

Panasonic PT-AE3000 1080p Projector//Carada 110" Criterion High Contrast Grey 16:9 Screen//Oppo BDP-83SE//Toshiba HD-XA2
Classe SSP800 Processor//Classe CA-5200 5 Channel Amplifier//Classe CA-2200 2 Channel Amplifier
Bowers & Wilkins 802D L-R/HTM 1D Center/SCMS Surrounds/JL Audio Fathom f113 x 2

1312.12.2008 23:54

All I had to do was ask. Thank error5. ;)

...gm

1413.12.2008 1:31

They are really raking in the cash with this feature. Must be nice...