AfterDawn: Tech news

LaCie releases 8x Blu-ray burner

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 03 Feb 2009 13:54 User comments (14)

LaCie releases 8x Blu-ray burner LaCie has announced the release of their latest Blu-ray burner, the updated d2 which can write to Blu-ray Disc at 8x.
The drive can also write "fully copy-protected, studio-grade movies" at 2x and single layer DVDs at 16x. Dual-layer discs can be burnt at 8x.

Electronista says, "The drive carries both FireWire 400 and USB interfaces and has a second FireWire port to daisy-chain the d2 with other peripherals and save expansion ports. Both Mac and Windows users get Roxio's Toast Titanium 9 and Easy Media Creator 10 to author Blu-ray discs, though only Windows users get playback software to watch Blu-ray movies."

The drive is already available and has a suggested price of $450 USD, a bit more expensive than other 8x Blu-ray burners available now.

Previous Next  

14 user comments

13.2.2009 14:01

nice so we can see 16X drives for under 200$ in acouple years!

24.2.2009 4:20

How about working on the price of Blu-Ray media first..........

34.2.2009 5:02

Originally posted by NexGen76:
How about working on the price of Blu-Ray media first..........
I agree. average price for Blu-Ray discs at B&M stores is still high around $25-30. My dad won't even consider even getting a Blu-Ray drive until media is around $15-20. Guess we will keep on waiting till that day.

44.2.2009 5:15

Originally posted by NexGen76:
How about working on the price of Blu-Ray media first..........
Not really needed, look at DL media in the retial stores its still 80+ for a 50 pack of nearly any brand, go on ebay and its more like 35-65.

Retail price has to be ignored, BL 25GB media is about 4-12(low end) a disc online.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&saf...p&sa=N&start=10

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll...lank&category0=

Or about 60-80 a 15 pack, which is 375GB vrs 415GB for 50 DL DVDs for about 10-20 less retail. All in all its not as bad as it seems.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Feb 2009 @ 5:17

54.2.2009 9:13

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:


Not really needed, look at DL media in the retial stores its still 80+ for a 50 pack of nearly any brand, go on ebay and its more like 35-65.


if you have a Sams Club around you, you might want to check them out, i can get 50 packs of DL Verbs for 59.99 any any day of the week. most of the time they are the MIS ones not the MII.

64.2.2009 9:19

Quote:
Originally posted by ZippyDSM:


Not really needed, look at DL media in the retial stores its still 80+ for a 50 pack of nearly any brand, go on ebay and its more like 35-65.


if you have a Sams Club around you, you might want to check them out, i can get 50 packs of DL Verbs for 59.99 any any day of the week. most of the time they are the MIS ones not the MII.

nice, but I will stick to er...uhg 40$ memorex ones for now.. maybe start BR next year.

74.2.2009 9:23

right on, i just refuse to put anything other than verbs in my 360. why bother fixing something that isnt broke i guess. that and its not worth saving the 20 bucks to use cheap media that will just give me headaches down the road.

84.2.2009 9:27

Originally posted by wabashman:
right on, i just refuse to put anything other than verbs in my 360. why bother fixing something that isnt broke i guess. that and its not worth saving the 20 bucks to use cheap media that will just give me headaches down the road.
LOL ya if its a 360 drive no matter which ya you need to treat it carefully unless you can replace the drive on your own at any time but frankly with the high fail rate it brings new issues to the world of modding.

I just back up anime avi/mkv,ect its become my main hobby since modern gaming has left me cold and annoyed at the lack of qaulity V graphics/skill of the industry..

Hows your 360 rig doing, got anything fancy?

94.2.2009 9:48

nah, nothing fancy, just a premium falcon system with a benq with 1.4.1 on it. keep thinking about doing a case mod of some sort, but dont see the point as the 360 isnt out where anyone can really see it.

104.2.2009 9:56

Originally posted by wabashman:
nah, nothing fancy, just a premium falcon system with a benq with 1.4.1 on it. keep thinking about doing a case mod of some sort, but dont see the point as the 360 isnt out where anyone can really see it.
Well the good thing about the fail60(and I say that as a endearment, the PS3 is the "mono"-lithic beast..hehehehe) is the customized PC nature of it it makes modding it a joy and if you get a case that can provide better air flow all the better, but again that warranty is precious on it.

114.2.2009 15:36

I hope they will reduce prices for the oldest Blue Ray models so at least if you can't afford the latest technology you will still be able to buy some kind of Blue Ray player.

124.2.2009 18:15

Originally posted by malcarada:
I hope they will reduce prices for the oldest Blue Ray models so at least if you can't afford the latest technology you will still be able to buy some kind of Blue Ray player.

Drives are already under 100$
Standalone's can be found for under 200$.

136.2.2009 12:00

Media has come down surprisingly well since the demise of HD-DVD platform.

I can get BD-R 25GB Ridata for $3 to $5 each from NewEgg with FREE shipping, the price varies by the hour sometimes though.

Ridata
NewEgg RIDATA Only

All BD-R
NewEgg BD-R Media

SONY 50GB 2X BD-R $34.99

BD-RE 25GB for $11 & $13

I have also been buying BD movies for $9.88 to $10 and they include movies like Shooter, Reservoir Dogs, SAW, and the new version of the Italian Job with Marky Mark among many others so prices are definitely coming down to where it is affordable.

Plus I can rip them to a BD9 or even BD5 however BD Rebuilder does have some major issues still. No reason to not jump in now and why buy something in DVD when you'll just want it in BD later.

146.2.2009 18:50

Originally posted by Mr-Movies:
Media has come down surprisingly well since the demise of HD-DVD platform.

I can get BD-R 25GB Ridata for $3 to $5 each from NewEgg with FREE shipping, the price varies by the hour sometimes though.

Ridata
NewEgg RIDATA Only

All BD-R
NewEgg BD-R Media

SONY 50GB 2X BD-R $34.99

BD-RE 25GB for $11 & $13

I have also been buying BD movies for $9.88 to $10 and they include movies like Shooter, Reservoir Dogs, SAW, and the new version of the Italian Job with Marky Mark among many others so prices are definitely coming down to where it is affordable.

Plus I can rip them to a BD9 or even BD5 however BD Rebuilder does have some major issues still. No reason to not jump in now and why buy something in DVD when you'll just want it in BD later.
I am in no hurry to change but BR is doing pretty damn well on the price/space/qaulity thing.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive