AfterDawn: Tech news

Labels hope Apple's 'Cocktail' will boost album sales

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 28 Jul 2009 1:36 User comments (9)

Labels hope Apple's 'Cocktail' will boost album sales According to the Financial Times, Apple and the Big 4 record labels are setting new plans in action in an effort to increase digital sales of full albums, which they believe have fallen to the wayside while individual song downloads grow exponentially.
The project, dubbed 'Cocktail', is a joint venture between Apple, EMI, Sony Music, Warner Music and UMG, and sources say the labels hope to have it up and running by September.

The plan is to offer interactive features with music digital albums, such as photos, lyrics, wallpapers, that can be viewed outside of iTunes.

More news

Previous Next

Related news

 

9 user comments

128.7.2009 4:03

So pretty much exactly what NIN did with 'Ghosts' to great success?

I like the idea. Digital music has overwhelmed the physical side of things; the artwork, liner notes, all of that. I just got the new Clutch CD in the mail, and god damn - this is how to pacvkage an album in this day and age. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNT0S3QcuUo

228.7.2009 4:07

Every time I see one of these deals it makes me sick. They spend millions of dollars on trying to sell the same old junk in a new way. The labels refuse to issue music in DTS or even AC3, and then complain when they can't sell their sub-cd-quality MP3s!

CD's are a remnant from the '80's, and MP3 is just a way to lower the quality of the orriginal CD! If the movie industry stuck with technology the way the music industry does, we would still be watching VHS tapes! Movies are mostly about the picture, yet most movies have 5.1 or better sound. Music is 100% about the sound...and yet there are only about 120 albums in the world that have 5.1 audio!

So let them make their mergers, spend their millions, and then complain that piracy is hurting their sales...they are going to do it anyway.

328.7.2009 6:08

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Every time I see one of these deals it makes me sick. They spend millions of dollars on trying to sell the same old junk in a new way. The labels refuse to issue music in DTS or even AC3, and then complain when they can't sell their sub-cd-quality MP3s!

CD's are a remnant from the '80's, and MP3 is just a way to lower the quality of the orriginal CD! If the movie industry stuck with technology the way the music industry does, we would still be watching VHS tapes! Movies are mostly about the picture, yet most movies have 5.1 or better sound. Music is 100% about the sound...and yet there are only about 120 albums in the world that have 5.1 audio!
So let them make their mergers, spend their millions, and then complain that piracy is hurting their sales...they are going to do it anyway.
Awesome.. :D
nice thought u gt m8.. :D
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jul 2009 @ 6:08

----------------------
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.Since this is considered to be a universal truth,i dont knw y d hell it is nt considered in the case of f__kin copyright matter...

428.7.2009 13:39

a buck a song 10 an album, its just to much, 25cents a song and 5$ an album would help more... not to mention make it play able on any mp3 player...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jul 2009 @ 13:48

528.7.2009 18:21

well if they made decent albums instead of one or two good songs out of the whole album then id buy it

629.7.2009 5:07

Originally posted by TBandit:
well if they made decent albums instead of one or two good songs out of the whole album then id buy it
This is the only advantage of MP3 selling sites; you only have to buy the one good song from the 15-track cd!

729.7.2009 17:34

Originally posted by KillerBug:

CD's are a remnant from the '80's
The 80's?????? How old are you? I would guess about 15 or 16 at the most by that idiotic comment. CD's were a 90's thing man. It hasn't been that f'ing long ago. Tell me this was a typo or your brain shut off for a second, because it amazes me how much this enrages me.

Other than that, I ONE HUNDRED percent agree with everything else you said. Especially about the movies being higher fidelity than audio CD's. That is so ridiculous. Super Audio CD's should have made it.

829.7.2009 17:51

Quote:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

CD's are a remnant from the '80's
The 80's?????? How old are you? I would guess about 15 or 16 at the most by that idiotic comment. CD's were a 90's thing man. It hasn't been that f'ing long ago. Tell me this was a typo or your brain shut off for a second, because it amazes me how much this enrages me.

Other than that, I ONE HUNDRED percent agree with everything else you said. Especially about the movies being higher fidelity than audio CD's. That is so ridiculous. Super Audio CD's should have made it.
It ruled the 90s but started in the 80s, but was just to costly till a decade later, similar to DVD.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Jul 2009 @ 18:20

931.7.2009 2:50

With or without DRM?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive