Sony ramps up anti-piracy efforts in South-East Asia

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 19 Sep 2009 0:58 User comments (5)

Sony ramps up anti-piracy efforts in South-East Asia Sony Computer Entertainment Asia president Tetsuhiko Yasuda has noted this week at the GC Asia conference in Singapore that the company will continue its anti-piracy efforts in South-East Asia, and added a strong warning to the governments of those nations where piracy is rampant.
Yasuda specifically commended Singapore, adding: "I would like to extend my gratitude to the solid efforts that the Singapore government has made. However, with just a moment of relaxation in efforts to uphold copyright protection, it's possible that the same old problem will occur again.

"Therefore it is essential for the country to understand that upholding copyright protection is indispensable for the stable development of the software industry."

The president continued on by noting the company's recent deal with Nanyang Polytechnic, which will teach college students how to develop for the PS3.

"In that situation, those students who have made game development their life's dream will suffer the most, and will possibly damage their motivation for creating games," he warned, before requesting that fair treatment should be given to overseas IP as well as that produced locally.

"We cannot allow the activity of the pirate copy providers, who only care about making a quick profit, to destroy the dreams and motivation of the students - they are the very enemies to the creator," he said, via GI.biz.

"Together we should remain vigilant against this unscrupulous pirated product providers - I'm prepared to devote the rest of my life to copyright protection."

119.9.2009 1:22

I don't think piracy scares REAL game developers... You know, the ones that enjoy what they do, do it well, and not the ones who throw a game out their just to take your pennies. I don't think I need to name names lol

219.9.2009 4:55

Even if that is true, 99% of game developers fall into that second category.

319.9.2009 5:13

Much like musicians game developers have to sign away all their rights away

421.9.2009 3:49

Originally posted by Morreale:
Although I agree there are two categories of game developpers (those that create with passion and those that want to make a quick profit)

However, I think both are afraid of piracy. Even if you develop with passion, you still need to make a good profit and investments in games have risen considerably in the past 20 years. Game companies need to make a profit or they go out of business.

525.9.2009 18:47

Originally posted by Morreale:

How true....but I don't think it is such a huge problem in other countries, it has always been this way in Asian countries, piracy,as they don't have the legislation that other countries have in place,piracy has been around since technology started and they will never stamp it out no matter how hard they try,i notice you say game companies need to make a profit,they are making a profit,the cost of an original game reflects that,it's compensating for the piracy,the only company that i am aware of that went bankrupt was acclaim but that was to poor buisnesship and company policies that no-one wanted to work for them,all the other major game developing companies seem to be doing fine,lets be honest here,a majority of net users know how to copy a game but how many of them actually make stock piles to sell for profit ? i wouldn't mind betting that the people that copy games do it for themselves, as cash is short for the game that they really want at the time.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Sep 2009 @ 18:49