BREIN took down almost 400 torrent trackers in 2009

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Jan 2010 18:50 User comments (11)

BREIN took down almost 400 torrent trackers in 2009 Anti-piracy outfit BREIN has proudly announced this week that it shut down 393 torrent sites in 2009, with the largest being massive indexer Mininova, which was forced to go legal.
Overall, the group shut down 615 "illegal websites," with the good majority being torrent trackers.

Additionally, 35 eD2K servers were taken down, 38 streaming movie stires, and 14 NZB (Usenet portals) were part of the group.

TF is reporting that the sites taken down must be very, very small since they received "a grand total of zero emails requesting information on the other several hundred closures." (Not including Mininova, TorrentVault)

As is always the case with torrent site shutdowns anyway, one goes down and at least one new one goes up to take its place.

113.1.2010 18:57

Should I do a press release about changing my underwear 365 times a year, sometimes 366?

213.1.2010 19:07

Just what exactly is illegal about a news portal?

313.1.2010 22:34

Originally posted by ThePastor:
Just what exactly is illegal about a news portal?
Where have you been? Any technology that can in any way be used to infringe on the entertainment industry's copyrights is automatically illegal, supports terrorists and depletes the ozone layer. It's expected that soon word-of-mouth technology will have to be banned, since it's been discovered that music and movies can be transferred from person to person (albeit slowly) through use of the words "zero" and "one". It's uncertain whether word-of-mouth technology as a whole will be banned, but we can expect that use of any of those words will soon mean multimillion dollar fines and jail time.

414.1.2010 10:32

Originally posted by ThePastor:
... It's expected that soon word-of-mouth technology will have to be banned, since it's been discovered that music and movies can be transferred from person to person (albeit slowly) through use of the words "zero" and "one". It's uncertain whether word-of-mouth technology as a whole will be banned, but we can expect that use of any of those words will soon mean multimillion dollar fines and jail time.
Done. (ASCAP on girl scouts singing campfire songs. '96) Albeit, their method is a little different; lossy, with a much higher compression ratio and much less reproduction overhead than strictly using "one" and "zero".

514.1.2010 10:32

(double post)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jan 2010 @ 10:34

615.1.2010 12:59

Losers. Mandelson sucks [Ed] balls.

715.1.2010 22:24

It is going to be a tough job to shut down torrent sites.

As for SGSeries2 post
OMFG, they are kids ffs, let them be kids. Music is a massive part of their life. So with what happened their I can not sing in the shower (not that I am a good singer). These people need to get a reality check.

816.1.2010 14:52

bluedogs, since they have almost shut down 400 last year I do not think it is all that hard. Keeping them down is something else.

The media mafia is creative in what they go after. Maybe they will sue you for humming.

916.1.2010 14:59

Originally posted by Mez:

Yeah my bad. Bad choice of words but you said what I meant. They wont stop torrent sites altogether, they will leave a small dent but hey if they can justify spending more trying to stop them than what they earn from the music in the market well good on em. Not smart business but hey what do we know, bugger all obviously.

Good luck trying to sue me for humming cause I don't have a rythmatic bone in my body, well except one area but that's nothing to do with music. I will even hum as they tell me off.

1017.1.2010 14:44

The Pirate Bay is still sailing :)

1118.1.2010 16:19

I am probably paranoid, but I think the media mafia is moving into 'black ops'. I think they are starting to fund hackers. I am sure we did not get a real story as to why the big 2 were shut down for a few months. I think it was to 'armor' their site.

I think their hackers are using their evil eye to check out the peers. I now reboot my computer every 24 hrs to keep peerguardian healthy. If I forget, it blows up, dead in the water. I do not think that is by chance. There are other worse things I would like to blame on them but I can't at this time.