Apple will replace iPads with dead batteries for $99

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Mar 2010 18:52 User comments (23)

Apple will replace iPads with dead batteries for $99 Apple has announced the Battery Replacement Service for the iPad today, and notably the company has decided to not only replace the battery, but replace the entire device for $99 if you ever need a battery replacement.
"If your iPad requires service due to the battery’s diminished ability to hold an electrical charge, Apple will replace your iPad for a service fee," says Apple. However, buyers will "receive a replacement iPad that will not contain any of your personal data."

The service is $99 and $7 shipping, and Apple says it will take about one week turnaround from the time you send in your dead iPad to the time you receive your replacement.

To not lose your data, Apple suggests syncing first.

"Before you submit your iPad for service, it is important to sync your iPad with iTunes to back up your contacts, calendars, email account settings, bookmarks, apps, etc. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information when servicing your iPad."

113.3.2010 19:46

I don't know... doesn't it seem a little early for people to already need a battery replacement for their iPad? And I thought Apple had higher quality standards.

213.3.2010 20:21

Many may be thinking: why not just sell the batteries separately and let the users replace them? We need to keep in mind: Apple = control; if they don't have control, it makes them freak the hell out.

313.3.2010 22:27
llongtheD

Originally posted by Amak:
Exactly. Maybe they can even glean some extra info on you while they have it "in house" for repair. Whats really behind the idea of designing something that a consumer can't even replace the batteries in? How many things do most people own that need to be sent in for something as simple as battery replacement? What a Joke.
I'm sure all the apple sheep won't have a problem with it though.

413.3.2010 23:05

this is how they make extra bucks, u buy an ipad, figure out the battery died within few days or passed the warranty (idk, 30 days?) and you go back to tell them that the battery died, and they are telling you to pay the 106 dollars (not including tax) to fix you sorry ipad. This is the reason for non removable battery crap they like to pull, so they can always have you as a customer to go back for more service.

read this article, ipad are for idiots

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Mar 2010 @ 23:06

514.3.2010 3:28

Every single day it's something new with this thing... It's laughable...

But, as to how this works... pretty simple.
You pay them a hundred and you get a new one (taking care of any "jailbroke" ones that might be out there) Then, they clean out yours and resell it at almost new price to some other sucker.

If this pile of crap takes off like that idiotic Iphone then my faith in humanity will officially be completely gone.

614.3.2010 4:17

I bought a tool from Dremel that runs on a built-in Li-On battery, it was part of a two-tool kit that costed $65.

It worked great for about 3 years of daily use, and finally the battery only held about 1/2 charge. Dremel sent me a new one, with a return postage sticker in the box, so I didn't have to pay anything for the repair; not even shipping...and I got my replacement 2 days after I ordered it, and I had the old one to use in those 2 days (it still worked, but only for a few minutes at a time).

IF a built-in battery is handled like that, then I can accept it...but then again, nothing apple does seems to be up to my standards. I think Apple wants to be a status symbol..."I have so much money that I can toss $800 at a worthless device I will never use". It is like a gold chain; useless other than appearance.

714.3.2010 9:02

What a useless POS. Apple's policies are garbage and their toys are garbage.

814.3.2010 15:42

I am really disappointed in this announcement. I would rather have a choice about batteries. My TRGpro PDA allows me to use alkaline AAA batteries - I have had it for 9 years and love being completely independent of PCs and corporations. I can back up to the included CF card and have many novels handy in my pocket as well as many apps and personal documents. If I want to use rechargeables, I have that choice. Why can't Apple do that? Because they want to force me to use iTunes. I made the mistake of buying an iPod Touch hoping it would maybe replace my TRGpro but it forces me to use iTunes. Bleahhh!!!

914.3.2010 22:33
llongtheD

Originally posted by ThePastor:
Every single day it's something new with this thing... It's laughable...

But, as to how this works... pretty simple.

Mine as well.

1015.3.2010 6:25

3 year complete replacement warranty in the invent of needing it.

why that cant be standard for these clearly none flexible devices... i dunno apple...

1115.3.2010 7:45

There's a REASON Apple uses soldered-in batteries..they are more capable w/ usually better life than all the generic batteries out there. They figure a LONGER charge lasting up to 6-12 months longer than it would otherwise is worth it to enough people.

1216.3.2010 7:41

Originally posted by xnonsuchx:
exactly why they need a better policy that doesn't cost you through the teeth to replace it within 3 years if yours degrades quicker.

1316.3.2010 21:40

Yeah - and after I got my TRGpro 9 years ago I have had to spend $0.00 on ANYTHING. Oh except for 2 pieces of sfwe I had to buy for about $20 each - the rest was freeware online. All the novels came from Gutenberg: again, free of charge. And the alkaline batteries I replace every 2 week or so - or if I prefer AAA rechargeables, I can keep using them and replace them MYSELF.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 21:42

1419.3.2010 4:57
uadua

It sounds as though they are preparing us for what is going to be a major gripe about the Ipad, and that is, like the Iphone, pathetic battery life.

1519.3.2010 8:48

Smart. Apple users have been going to eBay and saving hug sums of money since the batteries run 10-20 bucks. They include any special tools needed for the repair. Apple had hoped their users were too stupid and too timid to do such a thing. Now they are not taking any chances. Maybe the batteries have a limited life. They wouldn't want them too good...

1621.3.2010 7:00

Of course it is unlikely to be replaced with a new iPad. More likely a refurbished one. So John looks after his iPad but it needs a new battery so he'll get Jack's iPad which has "fixed up" after a thorough thrashing, but Jack got one that was owned by a little old lady who only used it on Sundays. Sounds fair.

1721.3.2010 22:18

I think there really needs to be a new standard battery for all these new gadgets that require rechargeables. It could be long, wide and flat enough to fit lots of gadgets, and be easy to replace by yourself.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Mar 2010 @ 22:18

1821.2.2012 18:57

Originally posted by Bodryn:
ipods are easy and cheap to replace. $20-25 and an hour of your time. No manufacture cares what you think! A battery shouldn't dictate what what a device can do that is very backwards.

1921.2.2012 20:12

They don't want to fix the battery so they charge people for a new one

2022.2.2012 17:18

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
They don't want to fix the battery so they charge people for a new one
Why should they??? When they have dopes too stupid to replace the battery themselves. They prefer to just replace the device. Apple loves morons with enough money to waste on their products. Do you throw out flash lights when the batteries die?

I would love to find morons that would give me money for no good reason.

2124.2.2012 3:24

Sorry but I disagree there are many reasons to have private messages and they aren't bad as you would like to make them out to be.

2224.2.2012 11:02

baohulu, why are you talking about private messages when this thread is about ipad dead batteries?

2324.2.2012 11:47

Originally posted by Bodryn:
im thinking something similar to a mobile phone battery.

@mez old people will pay up to $50 for someone to connect a set top box to a tv.basically plugging in av cables and an antenna wire.i use to tune in tvs or connect up dvd players for people in the boarding house i lived in usually get a beer and a few ciggies for it.

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.