Apple 1 computer goes up for auction, expected to fetch $200,000

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Nov 2010 14:51 User comments (14)

Apple 1 computer goes up for auction, expected to fetch $200,000 A 1976 Apple 1 computer, one of just 200 ever built, will go up for auction through Christies on November 23rd, with the Mac expected to fetch around $200,000.
Each Apple I computer was hand-built by Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak.

The device going up for sale is #82 of the 200, and will sell with original packaging, manuals and a letter from CEO Steve Jobs.

Apple I computers have 8KB of memory and an eight-bit processor.

Reads the auction description:
"The first Apple computer, and the first personal computer with a fully assembled motherboard, heralding the home computer revolution.

"Introduced in July 1976, the Apple I was sold without a casing, power supply, keyboard or monitor. However, because the motherboard was completely pre-assembled, it represented a major step forward in comparison with the competing self-assembly kits of the day."

The auction house believes the computer will sell for up to 150,000 ($205,000 USD). It cost just under $700 to build in 1976.

113.11.2010 18:09
hmmm77
Unverified new user

It would be funny if someone bought it for the 200k, and then smashed it in the parking lot for a demonstration against over priced, slow, hipster computers.

213.11.2010 18:11

Can it run Black Ops?

313.11.2010 19:49

No monitor I can understand, but no keyboard? How did people expect to run the damn thing? IT's not like nowadays where you can go to Wal-Mart and just pick up a keyboard for like 5 bucks!!!

I played around with the Apple IIe back in the day, hell even programmed on one... My favorite computer from "back in the day" though was the TRS-80 Model IV... Big ass white elephant with two 5 and 1/4 inch disk drives, black and white monitor AND keyboard all self contained in one big ass bulky unit... Damn that machine was fun

Vibrations of Doom Magazine
The world's oldest and longest running online music magazine.

413.11.2010 20:03

Of course it can Run Black Ops...it can run anything it's made by Apple. Everyone knows Apple is the best. /sarcasm

513.11.2010 21:05

Like I've been saying over and over again, all Apple products are low performance, and overpriced. Guess this really proves my point this time. What's so special about this? It's only Apple and a 34-year old computer, it's not like you're buying lost treasure or the first computer ever built.

Hmmmmm $200k, should I buy the World's fastest computer and have some spare change left, or should I buy spare parts of a computer that a smartphone can out-perform? Decisions Decisions.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 Nov 2010 @ 21:06

614.11.2010 1:59

steve wosniaks fat sausage fingers have touched the parts thats what obviously makes it worth so much money

714.11.2010 2:50

Originally posted by stuntman_:
Can it run Black Ops?
Probably... have you seen the graphics, looks pretty shitty to me. lol
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Nov 2010 @ 2:51

814.11.2010 5:44

Originally posted by stuntman_:
Can it run Black Ops?
Why would you want it to? That game is trash!

914.11.2010 9:26

This is just ridiculous. I hope it fails utterly.

1014.11.2010 14:10

Originally posted by mike.m:

Smartphone?? Try a flip phone from the mid-90s lol

1115.11.2010 6:16

Apple haters will hate (and I'm no fan either), but that is a slice of computing history right there.

1215.11.2010 10:44

Some rich moronic fanboy will buy it I'm sure. History maybe...but I have tossed a lot of history over the years...lol

Just my $0.02,

dEwMe

1319.11.2010 13:58

Originally posted by dEwMe:

My thoughts exactly. That thing looks like a lot of the stuff I threw out that was lying in my basement for many years. Why someone would want to pay 200k for it is beyond me.

144.12.2010 3:39
computer auction
Unverified new user

take advantage of the computer auction buying with reverse online auction to save money. ... BUYERS Listings For<a href="https://bidnloot.com/"> Computer Auction </a>. When you are looking to buy a good quality computer, you should check out a computer auction with Oltiby.