Labels angry about Amazon's CloudDrive

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 30 Mar 2011 19:10 User comments (25)

Labels angry about Amazon's CloudDrive Earlier this week, Amazon launched its CloudDrive, a digital locker for users which offers 5GB free cloud storage on their servers.
Amazon is also promoting the service as a way to have users stream their music libraries on-the-go, as long as they have Internet or an Android device.

As expected, the record labels are not happy with the move, demanding that Amazon should have secured music licenses from publishers and the labels before starting the service.

Says one label, Sony Music (via LAT):

We are disappointed that the locker service that Amazon is proposing is unlicensed by Sony Music, and we hope that Amazon will resolve the situation quickly by agreeing to a license with us. We are keeping all our legal options open.

Amazon quickly responded by saying they don't need licenses because the files belong to the users, and CloudDrive is simply a way to store them.

For its part, Amazon says it will continue negotiations with labels on licensing.

Related news

130.3.2011 19:14

I applaud Amazon.com for telling it like it is or like it should be.
The concept of a music locker is nothing new....Dropbox also has this feature that allows users to stream mp3's to their blogs and such.

Kudos, Amazon!

230.3.2011 19:17

Originally posted by ivymike:
I applaud Amazon.com for telling it like it is or like it should be.

Kudos, Amazon!
ditto

330.3.2011 19:20

amazon is right the files belong to us NOT THE Labels! Once again they use scare tactics to push their agenda's on other companies&people in the name of Copyright..This crap needs to end completely I fear due to"We are keeping all our legal options open." Sony could sue to take the service offline if they don't get their Way....Jesus this prooves the Music Industry is Tyrannical Crybabies

430.3.2011 19:54

Labels = Wrong as usual.

530.3.2011 19:57

Okay,

In a court room, what is it that Amazon must license in order for end users to save MP3 files to a virtual HDD? Is this something that end users must pay for?

What if the end user wants to store MP3s in a shoe box? Must there be a license for that? How about Tapes, Records, CDs, DVDs?

630.3.2011 21:48

F**king sony...they just can't stop pissing on their customers. Why should amazon pay sony anything for me storing tracks ripped from cds not from sony? Why doesn't sony have to pay royalites to everyone else for my ps3 being able to rip & store mp3s? Why don't they sue themselves for making flash drives and blank disks?

730.3.2011 22:16

Cable companies tried cloud storage DVR and it got shot down by legal action, I don't see this being much different.

830.3.2011 23:54
BroDude
Unverified new user

Dropbox can indeed let you stream music. I use SongBox Player iPhone app (http://bit.ly/gRDtBd)

931.3.2011 0:01

Originally posted by DarkJello:
There's a HUGE difference between storing your own music in the cloud and storing TV content in the cloud.

1031.3.2011 1:02

Is the copyright law different for television? The only difference I see is the amount of money invested in production.

Plus providers wanted to just store the data remotely, and then stream it to your home. It wouldn't have been any different than DVR now except for storage would be at a remote location.

1131.3.2011 3:04

Just saw it and started using it today GENIUS hated Zune Marketplace because they'd only let you download twice and that was it.

1231.3.2011 4:17

Amazon wants you to think it doesn't care about licensing the music that it will let you store in the cloud, but privately.....

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

1331.3.2011 6:27

un-friggin believable. Sony greedy SOB's.

1431.3.2011 10:00
lissenup3

Originally posted by Prey521:
Originally posted by DarkJello:
Yeah...no sh*t huh? How did DarkJello become a "Senior Member" anyway having asked such a dumb question? Because where there's one..........there are MANY MANY more.

1531.3.2011 11:08

Originally posted by lissenup3:
Originally posted by Prey521:
Originally posted by DarkJello:
Lol....well said lissenup3...and nice one Amazon

161.4.2011 14:36

So, I need a license when my music is backed up on Carbonite?

Right.

171.4.2011 14:41

Originally posted by KillerBug:
F**king sony... Why don't they sue themselves for making flash drives and blank disks?
Apparently they pay themselves licensing fees. ;-)

182.4.2011 10:46

Malarky, people will just gravitate to other services anyway.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

192.4.2011 13:55

None of you remember, labels ALWAYS cry the blues. They wanted to make tape recording illegal. Sony was on the otherside when the media wanted to ban beta tapes. They were violently against ripping CDs. Why should this be any different?

204.4.2011 4:47

Next Target Of Anonymous Is Sony:

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

214.4.2011 8:42

Originally posted by Mrguss:
Next Target Of Anonymous Is Sony:

Hooray, I'm glad someone is standing up for Geohot and Graf. We can see from what's happening that Sony actually owns America. Doubly glad I have not bought a $ony product for years.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-

226.4.2011 4:13

Originally posted by Mrguss:
Next Target Of Anonymous Is Sony:

This is where I am conflicted because I have a PS3. Should I be punished by Anon because Sony are asshats? While I don't play homebrew games (or pirated games for that matter) nor did I buy my PS3 for the Other OS option. I bought it to play games (and only a few of, I might add). Ps3 Home, Blu Ray, Netflix, and watching movies on my computer through the PS3 are just added bonuses.

Don't get me wrong. I am whole heartedly rooting for Geohot and I think Sony's pursuant of him (and others) smacks of rich kid bullying. But I don't feel that I should suffer the indignities of Sony.

Someone told me once that theres a right and wrong, and that punishment would come to those
who dare to cross the line.
But it must not be true for jerk-offs like you.
Maybe it takes longer to catch a total asshole.

239.4.2011 23:00

Originally posted by DarkJello:
fIREfOX sUCKS, TAKE YOUR AD.. SOMEWHERE ELSE

2410.4.2011 21:41

RLeeA3, knockoff the caps lock as refered to as shouting which is a forum rule no no.

2517.4.2011 23:10

I hope Amazon grows big nuts and kicks sony off their site.
I also hope that someday, using a sony product will be just as sociallly unacceptable as smoking in a restaurant or drinking and driving.

Latest news

Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations Plex now available for PS3, PS4 with limitations (17 Dec 2014 22:56)
A little over a month after Plex released an app for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, the personal media streaming company has released apps for the PS3 and PS4.
U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack U.S. to blame North Korea for Sony Pictures hack (17 Dec 2014 21:52)
According to numerous media outlets, U.S. government officials will announce tomorrow that North Korea was indeed behind the devastating hack on Sony Pictures.
1 user comment
Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV Sony has no plans to ever release 'The Interview' - no DVD, Blu-ray, no VOD, no TV (17 Dec 2014 20:30)
Sony Pictures has now decided against ever releasing 'The Interview' in any form, almost guaranteeing themselves a $100 million loss on the film.
Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' Nearly everyone in Hollywood is outraged by Sony and the movie theater chain's 'act of cowardice' in canceling 'The Interview' (17 Dec 2014 20:00)
Following news that all the major U.S. movie theater chains would not be showing 'The Interview,' Sony Pictures announced it was canceling the release of the film, which was slated to open on Christmas in the U.S.
1 user comment
The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail The hackers win: Sony cancels release of 'The Interview' as movie theaters bail (17 Dec 2014 19:39)
Just hours after major U.S. theater chains said they would not screen the film following terrorists threats, Sony has canceled the release of 'The Interview,' a comedy in which Seth Rogen and James Franco are sent to North Korea to assassinate Kim Jo