Archos shows off cheap Honeycomb tablets with 250GB storage

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 25 Jun 2011 13:46 User comments (8)

Archos shows off cheap Honeycomb tablets with 250GB storage Archos has announced two new Android 3.1 Honeycomb tablets this week, each using a 7mm "Thin HDD" to pack 250GB of internal storage.
The Archos 80 G9 and the 101 G9 have all the same specs but different display sizes, 8-inches and 10.1-inches.

Each tablet runs on a fast 1.5Ghz dual-core OMAP 4 CPU and feature a full USB port and HDMI-out.

Price is what should differentiate the devices from other tablets, $279 for the 80 G9 and $350 for the larger 101 G9.

Video of the tablets, which are set for release in September:

Tags: tablet Archos G9

125.6.2011 16:55

Finally an Android (and iOS) tablet with decent storage. I was getting so tired of everything having barely enough storage for music and video. Maby when flash storage gets cheaper. We will have more devices with decent affordable storage. Until that happens why not use the affordable storage we have now. Especially if damn near every netbook has a HDD and doesn't worry to much about battery usage.

225.6.2011 17:17

I agree with you; more options is a good thing for consumers. Though flash storage does have one other advantage besides power consumption: Shock resistance. Can be a very desirable feature in a device that you hold a lot and that could easily be knocked out of your hands.

326.6.2011 0:17

I understand the shock resistance thing. To a point. I mean look at all of the ipods with the mini 1.8" hard drives. If there would have been more put into those size hard drives instead of making damn near everything with flash drives. We might have many more devices right now with decent storage. I would much rather have 80 gig instead the paltry 16 gig that I currently have. Flash just is too expensive right now but if there would have been more put into mini hard drives they would be cheaper than flash right now. But everyone wants something they can drop a million times and not worry about. Here's a thought. Stop being careless with everything! Don't drop everything. Don't allow children to have and hold on to everything expensive. Kids below the age of 16 don't need this and that. If they want something they have to work for it. Regardless of their age.

426.6.2011 0:24

Once I can get to actually feel this device in my hands, I may trade-in my gTablet and upgrade, the price is DEFINITELY right with these for Honeycomb.

526.6.2011 3:59

@defgod, flash is expensive in terms of price/storage, but from a price/performance standpoint not so much, so this isnt so bad really.

@DVDBack23, I was thinking the same thing. Finally an affordable Honeycomb tablet!

OS: Kubuntu 12.10/Windows 8 -- CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K -- Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 -- Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator -- Graphics Card: Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X -- Monitor: Dell 2208WFP -- Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000 -- PSU: Corsair 520HX -- Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX -- Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C -- Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD/1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black/1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green/2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

626.6.2011 8:54

So to clear things up. Everyone does understand why this thing is affordable right?

726.6.2011 12:35

Originally posted by defgod:
This thing is affordable cause I can back up my whole desktop and carry my life around with me in a nicely packaged 8" Honeycomb tablet :p

826.6.2011 16:51

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by defgod:
It is affordable because..........It has an actual hard drive. 250 gig of flash would be way to expensive. That's what I've been trying to get at. Flash is great. It has it's purposes. But (and this is a big hairy smelly one too) it is not ready yet for mass storage. Yes the prices of flash storage are going down. But they still aren't low enough to compete with actual hard drives.