AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft sued over Windows Phone 7 ads

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 15 Jul 2011 15:49 User comments (17)

Microsoft sued over Windows Phone 7 ads Cellrderm, a Florida-based novelty company has sued Microsoft this week, claiming the company copied their ads with their Windows Phone 7 ad campaign.
The ads in question are the "Really?" ads, "Bedroom Really" and "Bathroom Really."

Says the suit:

The Microsoft Commercials copy both the sequence of events and the character interplay found in the Cellrderm Commercials. The Microsoft Commercials also copy other copyrightable expression, including but not limited to clothing, gestures, character appearance, camera angles, and other visual elements from the Cellrderm Commercials.


Added in the suit is Microsoft's marketing firm, Crispin Porter + Bogusky.

Cellrderm is looking for an injunction, and a part of the profits derived from the ads.

Judge for yourself:



Previous Next  

17 user comments

115.7.2011 17:02

looks like just an excuse to sue Microsoft...

215.7.2011 19:13
llongtheD
Inactive

Wow, I just got duped into watching a cellrderm commmercial. Their ad looks like the intro to a bad porno. Its obviously cheaper to file frivolous lawsuits to get exposure, than to actually pay to get your ad aired.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Jul 2011 @ 19:22

If your fish seems sick, put it back in the water.

315.7.2011 19:21

Uhmm.....no.

415.7.2011 19:40

now why would microsoft COPY this crap?


Being nice always has its own consequences

515.7.2011 21:48

Originally posted by llongtheD:
Wow, I just got duped into watching a cellrderm commmercial. Their ad looks like the intro to a bad porno. Its obviously cheaper to file frivolous lawsuits to get exposure, than to actually pay to get your ad aired.
+1


616.7.2011 1:06
ledgabriel
Inactive

Originally posted by navi1199:
looks like just an excuse to sue Microsoft...
+1

716.7.2011 1:11
ledgabriel
Inactive

Originally posted by llongtheD:
Wow, I just got duped into watching a cellrderm commmercial. Their ad looks like the intro to a bad porno. Its obviously cheaper to file frivolous lawsuits to get exposure, than to actually pay to get your ad aired.
+1, said it all. Cheap company and ad like that, it's easier for them to sue MS and get exposed than try to make it on their own.

816.7.2011 1:19
ledgabriel
Inactive

So, anything having to do with men too much into tech stuff and forsaking attention to their wives will have to pay Cellrderm royalties? These guys are going to get really rich...

MS may lose this lawsuit simply because it's "the big company". It looks good for them judges to defend the rights of smaller companies so they seem bit humanitarian and against monopoly.

As someone else before said, "why would MS copy this crap?" really, I doubt they have ever even watched it.

916.7.2011 7:39

Originally posted by ledgabriel:
So, anything having to do with men too much into tech stuff and forsaking attention to their wives will have to pay Cellrderm royalties? These guys are going to get really rich...

MS may lose this lawsuit simply because it's "the big company". It looks good for them judges to defend the rights of smaller companies so they seem bit humanitarian and against monopoly.

As someone else before said, "why would MS copy this crap?" really, I doubt they have ever even watched it.
You better becareful if you make home porno movies now you too can get sued to for copyright, with such classics as "copyrightable expression, including but not limited to clothing, gestures, character appearance, camera angles, and other visual elements from the Cellrderm Commercials." (all which I failed to see in microsoft's commercial)

1016.7.2011 15:37

Hmmm...I better see the Microsoft girl shake it a bit before I can say for sure...


Just my $0.02,

dEwMe

1116.7.2011 16:07

Wait a minute... Those "CellRDerm" people who I'd never heard of before reading this stuff aren't even selling anything. So... WTFF???


"You know, it seems that quotes on the internet are becoming less and less reliable." -Abraham Lincoln.

1217.7.2011 14:06

"copyrightable expression" ??!

Oh F@#$!

1318.7.2011 17:30

So now the "patent" wars spread to all other areas of business. I need to hop real quick and copyright smiles and hugs, and green striped shirts yeah? Get rich as all hell! And camera angles! All upward-facing 35-50 degree angles are mine, gimme gimme gimme! ...WTF

But really, I've not even watched the commercials, and this screams retarded. Commercials play off each other all the time and I can't say I've ever seen law suits involved in it all, but according to the written word of others they aren't even similar.


~*Livin' Electronicallly*~

1418.7.2011 23:46

Uh..

Originally posted by navi1199:
looks like just an excuse to sue Microsoft...


Exactly.. If you cannot make money the right way you sue someone or some company with money and hope that you can BS your way to winning.

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" ~ Roy Trenneman

http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

1519.7.2011 15:18

Originally posted by navi1199:
looks like just an excuse to sue Microsoft...
Totally agree!!!!!!!!

Never gonna happen for this P.O.S. company Cellrderm. Nothing copyrightable.

1619.7.2011 15:18

Originally posted by navi1199:
looks like just an excuse to sue Microsoft...
Totally agree!!!!!!!!

Never gonna happen for this P.O.S. company Cellrderm. Nothing copyrightable.

1721.7.2011 12:37

Surprised they didn't try the same thing with Sony, where the woman is being ignored by both her husband and the fictional Kevin guy while they play PS3.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive