AfterDawn: Tech news

Netflix to add multiple profiles for families that share accounts

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 12 Jun 2013 13:37 User comments (6)

Netflix to add multiple profiles for families that share accounts As any Netflix user that shares their account with family, a spouse or others knows, your recommendations will always be completely out of whack due to the wide variety of viewing habits.
That is set to change.

Netflix Vice President of Product Innovation Todd Yellin has confirmed that the service will soon be adding multiple profiles for those that share accounts, giving each their own personalized recommendations.

The move is a long time coming. Netflix has long said that customers who share accounts has led to "junk data" for them, since recommendations and social-sharing features are often skewed and inaccurate.

Yellin first mentioned the separate profiles at this year's CES in January.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

112.6.2013 16:03

I am a little confused on this as I have been using Netflix's multi profiles for almost 2 years now. I could see how it could be improved a lot but not sure how it is new. I hope they make it possible to remove password protection on the different profiles.

212.6.2013 19:08

Originally posted by lamain:
I am a little confused on this as I have been using Netflix's multi profiles for almost 2 years now. I could see how it could be improved a lot but not sure how it is new. I hope they make it possible to remove password protection on the different profiles.
I wonder if you're in a test area or something. I have no option to use multi users on my Netflix.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Jun 2013 @ 19:08

312.6.2013 20:14

i think he lying, the test started jan of this year according to google and i have been using netflix for 4 years now.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Jun 2013 @ 20:16

412.6.2013 22:38

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
i think he lying, the test started jan of this year according to google and i have been using netflix for 4 years now.
Sorry to disappoint but I am not lying. It could be something different about a streaming only account and DVD. Though I have had streaming only account after I had setup DVD Queue Profiles and it let me keep them.

Netflix calls it DVD Queue Profiles it can be found under
Your Account > Account profiles > Add Profile

when working on this post I went to login to my girl friends profile only to find it is not currently working. I goggled it and found this.

https://getsatisfaction.com/netflix/top...ccount_profiles

It seems they were disabled a few months ago to make way for this update.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Jun 2013 @ 22:47

513.6.2013 2:33

Yeah, I have been using multiple profiles ever since I started with netflix several years ago. Maybe it is not called profiles, but we each have our own way of "going in" to our joint account. Maybe it doesn't keep the ratings separate though, not sure.

613.6.2013 2:40

Originally posted by cart0181:
Yeah, I have been using multiple profiles ever since I started with netflix several years ago. Maybe it is not called profiles, but we each have our own way of "going in" to our joint account. Maybe it doesn't keep the ratings separate though, not sure.
It used to keep the rating separate but it seems to not work at all for me now.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive