AfterDawn: Tech news

DDR4 RAM already available for sale in Japan

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Jun 2014 19:39 User comments (9)

DDR4 RAM already available for sale in Japan Even though Intel's new X99 chipset with DDR4 support will not be available until later this year, it appears some retailers in Japan are already selling the new RAM sticks.
Early adopters can pay $350 for a 16GB module made by SanMax, with SKHynix supplying the underlying tech.

DDR4 will support a transfer rate of 21334266 MT/s compared 800-2133 MT/s for its predecessor. Additionally, DDR4 will have 288 pins compared to DDR3's 240. The modules will have a power draw of 1.2V.

Source:
Akiba

More news

Previous Next

Related news

 

9 user comments

124.6.2014 8:49

Why not just go straight to DDR5?


Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

225.6.2014 9:46

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Why not just go straight to DDR5?
You know, I was wondering the same thing myself. It's been used with gpus for awhile now.


325.6.2014 12:32

Originally posted by bhetrick:
Originally posted by Jemborg:
Why not just go straight to DDR5?
You know, I was wondering the same thing myself. It's been used with gpus for awhile now.


Yeah, if they want people to keep using PCs they should pull the stops out. Computers are like some peoples' muscle car.



---------------------------------------------------------------------
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 Jun 2014 @ 12:33

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

425.6.2014 21:14

GDDR5 (Graphic Dbl Data Rate GEN. 5) has been available for years now.

And are you seriously "wondering why" DDR5 isn't out NOW???

Seriously????????

Simple bus. practice!!!

Precisely why Intel doesn't release procs the same way......BECAUSE THERE'S STILL MONEY TO BE HAD BY SELLING DDR4.

Sheesh people........take some college business courses!

525.6.2014 21:42

Originally posted by hearme0:
GDDR5 (Graphic Dbl Data Rate GEN. 5) has been available for years now.

And are you seriously "wondering why" DDR5 isn't out NOW???

Seriously????????

Simple bus. practice!!!

Precisely why Intel doesn't release procs the same way......BECAUSE THERE'S STILL MONEY TO BE HAD BY SELLING DDR4.

Sheesh people........take some college business courses!
Well, now that I've looked in to it the reason is because 5 has terrible timing. So using it on the gpu is a whole different horse.


So no, it has nothing to do with "simple business practices".

Sheesh... take some elementary reading courses.


626.6.2014 13:07

there isn't a PC compatible memory controller on the market that can tap out the DDR3 yet, a premature jump to this new tech will only slow down your computer.

DDR5 Timings would be astronomically higher than the bus speed of any PC this year or the next few years. as such DDR5's use will remain in systems with a specialized integrated bus and memory controller "ex.PS4 or Xbox One"


Powered By

726.6.2014 21:12

Xbone don't have DDR5 Dex.

But it does beg the question, if they can use a standard AMD APU in the PS4 why can't they start using DDR5 as system RAM in modern PCs? You're plain reasoning above just doesn't wash with me in this instance. If it can be done for the PS4 it can be done for PCs... simple as that.

Besides, I've read that the latest APUs from AMD can control DDR5. So nothing "premature" going on at all.


Originally posted by hearme0:
GDDR5 (Graphic Dbl Data Rate GEN. 5) has been available for years now.
And are you seriously "wondering why" DDR5 isn't out NOW???
Seriously????????
Simple bus. practice!!!
Precisely why Intel doesn't release procs the same way......BECAUSE THERE'S STILL MONEY TO BE HAD BY SELLING DDR4.
Sheesh people........take some college business courses!
Seriously????????????? Sheesh... you can be counted on to miss the point yet again. Sheesh... and you were the one who said consoles etc. were on the way out... sheesh... do you even know why or are you just parroting someone else?... sheeesh... talk about contradicting yourself.................... sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh

I thought I implied it was a misguided attempt to control the market.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

827.6.2014 19:32

Originally posted by Jemborg:
Xbone don't have DDR5 Dex.

But it does beg the question, if they can use a standard AMD APU in the PS4 why can't they start using DDR5 as system RAM in modern PCs? You're plain reasoning above just doesn't wash with me in this instance. If it can be done for the PS4 it can be done for PCs... simple as that.

Besides, I've read that the latest APUs from AMD can control DDR5. So nothing "premature" going on at all.
Again it boils down to specialized memory buses, its a modified AMD Jaguar APU the modified part being the memory controller. Both the xbox 1 and the PS4 use the same APU the only difference between the two is the memory controller and the type of memory used.

in order for DDR5 to be effective in a PC everything would have to be on chip, or a complete redesign on every major bus in the system. if the former happened the PC crowd would start shitting bricks. for the latter, you would pay untold billions to get hardware developers to support your new bus system.



Powered By

927.6.2014 23:05

Still not convinced.

If They're can shift to DDR4 then they could shift to DDR5.


Its a lot easier being righteous than right.


DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive