Rock frontman wants file sharers to pirate his album

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 10 Oct 2007 19:58 User comments (17)

Rock frontman wants file sharers to pirate his album Throwdown, a metal band famous for “destroying” a stage at Ozzfest has called upon file-sharing fans to help support the band by "stealing their album...[and]help bury the label."
Dave Peters, the front man of the band had this to say, “I play in a metal band. We have sold around 200k records across 3 releases. We’re not ‘huge’ by any stretch but do alright and live off (and ON subsequently) the road. Fans and friends ask me all the time how I feel about “stealing music. I just told someone yesterday I have a hard time seeing it as stealing…when I don’t see any money from cd sales to begin with.”

Continuing on about his anger at the state of the record industry, “If you want to squeeze an opinion on theft out of me, ask me about the dude that grabbed our tshirt off the table tonight in Detroit or better yet.. ask me about record contracts.”

He followed up with a message to file sharers and fans of the band,

“I encourage our fans to acquire our album however they please. The philosophy I’ve adopted is that if you’re supporting disc sales, you’re keeping the old model around longer…the one that forces dudes like me to tour 9 mos/year if they want to make ends meet with a career in music.”

Ending his rant with a comment that I'm sure most bands would agree with,

“If you wanna really support a band, “steal” their album….help bury the label….and buy a tshirt when you show up at their show and sing every word.”

Its good to see bands speaking out about the record industry and the fact that piracy is not bad for the band but only for the labels.

Source:
TF

111.10.2007 9:52

Just another testament of the greed of music record labels

211.10.2007 11:09

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what we needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

311.10.2007 12:33

hopefully more bands will adopt this idea and spread it!

411.10.2007 15:25

That is what I do! I "steal" my favorite bands music then go to their concerts and by their merchandise. This is what everyone should be doing. SCREW the recording industry and the radio for that matter, they suck too.

511.10.2007 15:50
WierdName

Another blow that might hopefully result in the end of the RIAA middlemen.

611.10.2007 17:05

nice! stop overpriced music

711.10.2007 20:38

Brilliant, that's pretty much what I do. :P
I'll be seeding their discography for the next month. :)

812.10.2007 1:48

Originally posted by yellowsub:
Hear hear!! I second every word. I go to as many live shows as I can anyway, 'coz you simply can't beat the feeling. (Note to self: gotta check this band out, I like their mentality.)

912.10.2007 2:30

Throwdown is badass! I actually own all of their CDs. lol
If you listen to their latest album Venom & Tears, you'll clearly hear that Pantera was heavily influenced.

1012.10.2007 4:42

I might have a new band I'd like to support :)

1112.10.2007 15:49

Listen to Throwdown's cover of, "Baby Got Back".. probably the greatest thing I have ever heard!

1212.10.2007 16:14

NiN frontman Trent suggested the same at his concerts. Course..his music is a lot better than this tripe..

1312.10.2007 16:45

EDIT : Double post. -.-'

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 12 Oct 2007 @ 16:46

1412.10.2007 16:45

It would help if they made good music.

1513.10.2007 4:08
duke8888

Hey maybe this is entrapment you download and then they come knocking on your door for their money LOL

1613.10.2007 10:53

werd... i'll do my part 2 break tha chain of corporate greed. =>

1715.10.2007 12:21

This is the age old argument regarding rights and wrongs of music file sharing. The sooner the old record labels are made extinct the better IMO. They were always making their money off the backs of the artists, who saw a very small precentage of the sales.