Firebombings blamed on 'Grand Theft Auto'

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 08 Aug 2008 13:54 User comments (21)

Firebombings blamed on 'Grand Theft Auto' Three teenagers in Atlanta, Georgia have been arrested on 57 counts of firebombing cars with Molotov cocktails over the last week.
Six vehicles were bombed and each teenager faces 19 counts including arson, criminal damage to property and possession of explosive devices.

When arrested however, the teens, ages 15 or 16, each said they learned "how to do it from playing the video game 'Grand Theft Auto'." After the incidents, investigators went to the local Wal-Mart and found receipts containing Sprite bottles, red rags and lighter fluid. Surveillance footage did the rest.

The incident is the second in under a week in which real life crime has been linked to 'Grand Theft Auto', Rockstar's exceptional PC and console game.

In Thailand earlier this week, the game was pulled from shelves after a taxi driver was killed in what the murderer called a "recreation" of a scene from the game.

18.8.2008 13:59

GOD DAMN AMERICANS the game is so contravertial

you know what that means

more sales for rockstar

28.8.2008 13:59

Bears some resemblance to the movie "In the mouth of madness".

38.8.2008 14:17

The article says the 15 & 16 year olds had receipts containing 'lighter fluid'. Lighter fluid is a restricted item, must be 18 or older to purchase. Someone at Wal-Mart didn't check ID's.

48.8.2008 14:17
13thHouR

57 counts of firebombing cars
so how long did it take to catch these children exactly?

i knew how to make them long before GTA and i didn't even need the Anarchists cookbook

we could blame all murders on the government invading illegal countries or spreading fear or dividing communities because of racial hatred spurred on by the media (mainly news corp), but hey lets blame a computer game.

surely, gta does not teach you how to make a petrol bomb, or shoot an ak47 or steal a tank, and i certainly haven't heard of any leer jets or helicopters being jacked by teenagers recently
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2008 @ 14:26

58.8.2008 14:30

I learned how to pick up chicks online from GTAIV

THIS WAS A TRIUMPH
WE DO WHAT WE MUST BECAUSE WE CAN

68.8.2008 15:30

Maybe they think by mentioning the idea came from a game that they can get away with it.

Since we are playing the blame game, I will blame soda. They must put something in soda now to make kids go crazy. Yep, must be soda.

*rolls eyes

78.8.2008 15:43

This stuff never fails to make me laugh. Not that these little dumb a$$es started setting of bombs and causing mayhem; but the fact that people blame video games.

Yes, yes...because i played Frogger i now swerve for crossing amphibians on the interstate.

88.8.2008 15:44

I think that Bu$h must be a GTA addicted player......isnt it obvious by looking at Iraq?

This is getting an old joke , only thing that is missing now is
"GTA blamed for pregnancy" , "for alien abduction" "Juck the Ripper"

If they have said that they have saw it on internet, the entire Thai would be without internet now???

This kids are psychologically unstable, nothing to blame GTA, they could find same info from anyone......and for god sakes if they needed instructions/tutorial to make a molotov they are retarded anyway.

98.8.2008 16:09

i've played the game almost all the way thru. and no where it tells u how to do anything.

especially how to make a molotov cocktail

i call BS.

next thing you know. you'll find real italian plumbers
throwing endangered turtles at venus fly traps.

108.8.2008 16:12

Even emo kids can get a smile out of this article.

118.8.2008 17:29

Originally posted by SProdigy:
Even emo kids can get a smile out of this article.
I learned how to rob prostitutes from this game. Now Im called a pimp I love america

128.8.2008 18:35

And more free advertise to Rockstar =)

138.8.2008 20:54

This sh*t is so funny..If people want to play the blame game, hell I can find 100 things in 1 day and blame each thing on something wrong Iv done. I got a speeding ticket the otherday, I also played GTA, so should I go to court and say I was speeding because I played the hell outta GTA?? Hell now that I think about it, I might just do that..

148.8.2008 21:09
varnull

stuff firebombs... what about some REAL EXPLOSIVES.. lets have some more anarchy and carnage..

Butt-Head's philosophy of aesthetics goes thusly: "I like stuff that's cool" and "I don't like stuff that sucks." For Beavis, it's even simpler: He agrees with Butt-Head. What's cool is explosions, loud guitars, screaming and death.

158.8.2008 23:59

I learned how to pick up chicks online from GTAIV

THIS WAS A TRIUMPH
WE DO WHAT WE MUST BECAUSE WE CAN
GLaDOS !!!

169.8.2008 8:45

hack! they were using cheat codes

179.8.2008 9:35
blueroad

god this just never gets old now does it? if only this shyt actually worked where i live people wont go to jail and GTA would be banned...i mean comon the people that are supposed to protect you are blaming a creation of pure entertainment for obstructing their job...next theyll blame the heavy rain or the sun that was in their eyes or the donuts in their big fat stomaches and jelly thighs...god help america..cause sadly he already blessed your goverment and police with wits...

189.8.2008 11:21
Drunkken

So, GTA teached them to throw items? GTA Doesn't teach how to make molotov coctails. :3

1911.8.2008 12:44

Originally posted by 7thsinger:

Actually, I've tried playing the part of the frog. Unfortunately, I found out that if you get hit by a vehicle, you don't respawn next to the right lane of the eastbound highway again... you respawn in a hospital bed... It must be a bug that the Hasbro company is still working on, much like the bug where those 15 and 16 year old kids couldn't quickly change weapons to fight off the cops and make their escape.

.....is it really this bad?

2012.8.2008 12:15

ROFL!!!! Can you say STOOOOOOOPID!!! All parties involved except for the victims of course. A game that makes you destroy property and take lives!!! C'mon people get a clue and use some common sense!! These kids are NOT taught reality in any form and it seems to me they NEED MORE BEATINGS FROM THEIR PARENTS!!!!! At some point a child/adult has to be held accountable for their actions... NOT blame the TV, a video game, or something like the President of your country. ROFL.... Be a man or woman and take it like you should!!!! Accept responsibility!!!!

....gm

[img]quoted from creaky, "I think i need a break away from this thread, you are just talking absolute and utter nonsense now. Im off to ban myself and hit myself repeatedly with blunt objects. And if im still conscious after that im going to install Windows Me."[/img]
PC build thread blank media thread Ultimate DVD Backup resource thread what did binkie7 do to me???

2113.8.2008 15:46

I have a feeling whats going to happen.
1. they will pull the game until they figure out a way for you to play if you are 18.

I recall a similar thing happen back in 95 when a boy somewhere in the south burned his house down and blamed it on Beavis and Butthead and after that they put that annoying warning on in front of the show beavis and butthead are cartoons blah blah blah.

2. They will make it so you have too have a credit card too prove your age to play it well that's a bunch of crap because some parent of my generation won't care and let there 15 year old play it anyway.