AfterDawn: Tech news

Kazaa relaunches

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 21 Jul 2009 2:15 User comments (19)

Kazaa relaunches Yesterday we reported that the once infamous P2P client Kazaa was set to make a comeback, this time as a legal net music store.
The timeline was unclear, but the store has gone live today.

Reads the site:

"Kazaa is a subscription-based service brought to you by Brilliant Digital Entertainment (BDE) a leading online distributor of licensed digital content. BDE provides the means for record labels, film studios and software developers to market and sell their products to a worldwide audience of 70 million users. With the Kazaa service you get unlimited access to hundreds of thousands of CD-quality tracks for one low monthly fee.

For just $19.98/mo, you can download unlimited music files, and play those files on up to 3 PCs that you own. The subscription package is for PC only, which means that you won’t be able to play those files on a portable music player. The files will remain playable while your subscription is active – once your subscription ends, you will no longer be able to play those files.

The subscription package also enables you to download unlimited ringtones to a single cell phone.

Unlike other music services that charge you every time you download a song, Kazaa allows you to listen to as much music as you want for one low monthly fee. This allows you to explore all the music you want without having to pay for every single track or album."

Previous Next

Related news

 

19 user comments

121.7.2009 2:48

Quote:
For just $19.98/mo, you can download unlimited music files, and play those files on up to 3 PCs that you own. The subscription package is for PC only, which means that you won’t be able to play those files on a portable music player. The files will remain playable while your subscription is active – once your subscription ends, you will no longer be able to play those files.

Fail.

221.7.2009 3:33

for just $0 per month bittorrent will allow you to download as much music as you like which you can play on unlimited pcs and other compatible devices. When your free subscription ends the files just keep on working also available games , movies , ringtones and so much more and all for the princely sum of $0

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Jul 2009 @ 3:35

321.7.2009 3:55
Mac_lova
Inactive

hahaha nice elbald90 and come on now people actually pay 4 music still ?

421.7.2009 6:20

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-33/k...e_legit-786373/ :)




Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

521.7.2009 7:33
Pavel111
Inactive

hm interesting See SPAM

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Jul 2009 @ 7:34

621.7.2009 7:51

I'm all for having access to music for a reasonable cost. 20 bucks is too damn expensive though. For five bucks less you might as well go with Rhapsody and at least they let you transfer music to portable players. I really think these services should be 10 bucks or less though.

721.7.2009 10:09

Originally posted by Ryoohki:
I'm all for having access to music for a reasonable cost. 20 bucks is too damn expensive though. For five bucks less you might as well go with Rhapsody and at least they let you transfer music to portable players. I really think these services should be 10 bucks or less though.
Pretty much, at 10$ a month its worth paying for nothing at anything more its more worth your time to learn how to get something more out your already costly net connection.

821.7.2009 12:27

Originally posted by elbald90:
for just $0 per month bittorrent will allow you to download as much music as you like which you can play on unlimited pcs and other compatible devices. When your free subscription ends the files just keep on working also available games , movies , ringtones and so much more and all for the princely sum of $0
Haha!
I'll take the FREE99 over the 19.99 price, lol!

921.7.2009 15:19

Quote:
For just $19.98/mo, you can download unlimited music files, and play those files on up to 3 PCs that you own. The subscription package is for PC only, which means that you won’t be able to play those files on a portable music player. The files will remain playable while your subscription is active – once your subscription ends, you will no longer be able to play those files.



This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Jul 2009 @ 15:20

1021.7.2009 15:54

They must have some pretty good salesmen to get enough money for this fools errand! I would have love to hear the pitch! lol

1122.7.2009 12:22

Quote:
Unlike other music services that charge you every time you download a song,...
....and actually let you keep the song...

Quote:
....Kazaa allows you to listen to as much music as you want for one low monthly fee.
......as long as you listen to it sitting at your PC.....lol

Quote:
Unlike other music services that charge you every time you download a song, Kazaa allows you to listen to as much music as you want for one low monthly fee. This allows you to explore all the music you want without having to pay for every single track or album."
.....much like a radio station. You may not be able to choose the songs you listen to on the radio, but I'll take the randomness over $20/month for music that I can't even listen to in my car or through my living room sound system. I'd be forced to isolate myself from my family in my office to listen on crappy PC speakers.

Aside from the obvious "I get my music free anyway" argument, I would have to listen to at least 21 songs/month to make it cheaper than buying an mp3 that I can keep and listen to anywhere and any number of times. If I only listen to 10 songs, then I just overpaid by double.

Wow, what an utter failure and waste of time and energy.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Jul 2009 @ 12:27

1223.7.2009 7:31

What a waste so they have DRM it in a way and this is going to detract users to comeback and they will stay with their current methods even using iTunes would be better.

1323.7.2009 9:14

I really can't stand it when I have to pay for something and then get told how I can use the service. I personally don't use windows media player for anything. I use winamp or mediamonkey to play music. Not that I'm willing to shell out 20 bucks for something that will be so restrictive. I can't really imagine these people will make money but I'm sure certain (foolish) people will subscribe to their service.

1423.7.2009 15:19
darthya
Inactive

now that dont sound like much of a deal to me! were all getting caught up in corporate bull$hit! so depressing. im starting to miss my vinyl records.

1524.7.2009 7:53

Ryoohki, no one is going to subscribe. It has a long list of fatal flaws that makes you wonder who master minded this one. You do not sound like a sheep. You should like long and prosper.

Darthya vinyl is coming back not they I buy into that one.

1624.7.2009 9:33

Originally posted by Mez:
Darthya vinyl is coming back not they I buy into that one.
I've been buying vinyls lately. I've bought some from my favorite artists for about $20 each. They either came with a CD inside or a card with a passcode that lets you download the CD (192kbps). It's definitely making a comeback. I personally thoroughly enjoy the sound quality and the large print artwork, as well as the nostalgia of old school analog.

1724.7.2009 11:38

Intersting, at $20 with a CD that is a deal. I concurr with the larger album art. CDs are dirt cheap to make so they shouldn't add to the cost.

For the 192 BR down loads I would pass unless that was encoded by a HiFi encoder using a modern compression routines. Modern meaning this century not last century. Otherwise I would want to digitise it my self and do it right.

1824.7.2009 12:20

Originally posted by Mez:
Intersting, at $20 with a CD that is a deal. I concurr with the larger album art. CDs are dirt cheap to make so they shouldn't add to the cost.

For the 192 BR down loads I would pass unless that was encoded by a HiFi encoder using a modern compression routines. Modern meaning this century not last century. Otherwise I would want to digitise it my self and do it right.
Yeah, I hear ya on the 192k download. I was actually surprised to find the card in a vinyl that I bought. I wasn't expecting anything more than the vinyl, and paid $20 because I really like the artist. I didn't keep the digiat copies, as I already had obtained vbr copies of the songs through other means.

193.8.2009 14:57

Quote:
Quote:
For just $19.98/mo, you can download unlimited music files, and play those files on up to 3 PCs that you own. The subscription package is for PC only, which means that you won’t be able to play those files on a portable music player. The files will remain playable while your subscription is active – once your subscription ends, you will no longer be able to play those files.

Fail.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive