AfterDawn: Tech news

UK bands fight controversial three-strikes law

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Sep 2009 19:33 User comments (7)

UK bands fight controversial three-strikes law The popular bands Blur and Radiohead have teamed up to fight the British government's plan to begin "three strikes" laws against Internet pirates, one that has pirates kicked off the Internet for downloading unauthorized music three times.
The FAC (Featured Artists Coalition), will represent the "best interests" of the recording artists, and believes that file sharing in fact is better for the artist, as it encourages concert ticket sales and merchandising. The FAC does conceit that file sharing hurts record sales however.

The Radiohead guitarist Ed O’Brien adds: “My generation grew up with the point of view that you pay for your music. Every generation has a different method.

"File sharing is like a sampler, like taping your mate’s music. You go, ‘I like that, I’ll go and buy the album’. Or, ‘you know what, I’ll go and see them live’. What’s going on is a huge paradigm shift.”


Blur drummer Dave Rowntree also added: “The fact that file sharing goes on, and is as popular as it is, is an incredibly positive thing for the music industry. The fact is that music is so popular that people are willing to break the law to get it."

All the bands in the group add that file sharing is bringing their music to new generations of fans, those that did not grow up with a radio, and instead grew up with the Internet.

Says Nick Mason, drummer with Pink Floyd: “The last thing we want to be doing is going to war with our fan base. File sharing means a new generation of fans for us."

Of course, in another clear quote that proves the labels do not understand their own consumers or even their own artists, Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the British Phonographic Industry, responded: “We could hardly have more legal download services than we already do, and they have not eliminated piracy. It is the peer-to-peer downloading that is holding back investment in more services. What Government is proposing in the temporary suspension of accounts as a last resort is a set of measures that are proportional and balanced.”

Previous Next  

7 user comments

114.9.2009 3:59

Good Fight, How ever the brits are the ones who should be fighting, its your rights that are being washed away.

214.9.2009 5:22
pphoenix
Inactive

Originally posted by DXR88:
Good Fight, How ever the brits are the ones who should be fighting, its your rights that are being washed away.
there is no fight the RIAA (BPI) will get their way donations & lobbyists are just as prolific in the UK but it's just not publicised as well as it is, in the USA.

RIAA, CRIA, SOUNDEXCHANGE, BPI, IFPI, Ect:

# Sony BMG Music Entertainment
# Warner Music Group
# Universal Music Group
# EMI

314.9.2009 5:27

Public opinion does not meen anything. Votes are generated by the voting machines, not by the populous. If these bands actualy wanted to make a change, they would simply bribe the corrupt judges to be on their side...and make sure the bribes are larger than those from RIAA.



414.9.2009 8:48

It is good to see 2 bands are with their fans. I guess the rest say ‘piss on them’. I know Robert Plant does. I would never buy anything he did ever again. He showed his true colors when he wouldn’t tour with Led Zeppelin.

Bribes mean more unless they think their meal ticket is in the balance.

Another reason the labels hate file share is black listed artists and other Indies can still get some visability. One of the finest bands in the US is black listed in the US and UK. No one has heard of this award winning band in these countries because they are bannd from the radio and internet stations. If you like New Age music, Blackmores's Night is Renascence music with a dash of hard rock thrown in. I do not know anyone that as heard them and have not been favorably impressed. The guitar is as good as it gets and is the main attention getter. My first thought when I hear the music is WHO IS the guitarist. Blackmore goes from a classical guitar format to hard rock with his Stratocaster. Rolling Stone rates him as the 50th best guitarist ever. He is more like 3rd, 5th at the very worst.

He is just doing his own thing for the last 10 years. It is by far the best music he has done in his 40 years of music. He was the lead guitar for the Outlaws then Deep Purple. He broke from DP to do a heavier, faster music. He is accredited as the father of both Heavy Metal and Dragon Metal Rock genres.

514.9.2009 12:36

lol am i the only one who read it as the british pornographic industry

614.9.2009 16:19
G_Hubcap
Inactive

Originally posted by shaffaaf:
lol am i the only one who read it as the british pornographic industry
Didn't catch it until you pointed it out to me! :)

717.9.2009 10:34

Originally posted by Mez:
It is good to see 2 bands are with their fans. I guess the rest say ‘piss on them’. I know Robert Plant does. I would never buy anything he did ever again. He showed his true colors when he wouldn’t tour with Led Zeppelin.

Bribes mean more unless they think their meal ticket is in the balance.

Another reason the labels hate file share is black listed artists and other Indies can still get some visability. One of the finest bands in the US is black listed in the US and UK. No one has heard of this award winning band in these countries because they are bannd from the radio and internet stations. If you like New Age music, Blackmores's Night is Renascence music with a dash of hard rock thrown in. I do not know anyone that as heard them and have not been favorably impressed. The guitar is as good as it gets and is the main attention getter. My first thought when I hear the music is WHO IS the guitarist. Blackmore goes from a classical guitar format to hard rock with his Stratocaster. Rolling Stone rates him as the 50th best guitarist ever. He is more like 3rd, 5th at the very worst.

He is just doing his own thing for the last 10 years. It is by far the best music he has done in his 40 years of music. He was the lead guitar for the Outlaws then Deep Purple. He broke from DP to do a heavier, faster music. He is accredited as the father of both Heavy Metal and Dragon Metal Rock genres.
Thanks for the tip, just pulled them up on Pandora. I love it, and yes I agree I NEVER would have heard them on the radio, TV, or anywhere else that's controlled by the media. Thank goodness they are passing laws that will make it so nobody can share music, these people might actually become popular.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive