Astronaut makes first live Tweet from space

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 23 Jan 2010 1:38 User comments (7)

Astronaut makes first live Tweet from space Expedition 22 Flight Engineer T.J. Creamer has sent the first live Tweet from space today, via Crew Support LAN on the International Space Station.
Said Creamer: "Hello Twitterverse! We r now LIVE tweeting from the International Space Station -- the 1st live tweet from Space! :) More soon, send your ?s"

Creamer and other astronauts at the Space Station had sent Tweets before, but they had been emailed to ground control and then posted manually.

PCmag says of the new LAN setup: "The Crew Support LAN provides indirect access to the Internet via existing communications channels. When the ISS is in contact with the ground via Ku-band communications, the astronauts have remote access to a ground computer, which can then access the Internet and relay the screen up to the ISS."

123.1.2010 1:43

Very cool, but Twitter is still lame regardless. I don't care about the fast food you just inhaled, why are you telling me this?

223.1.2010 4:09

Originally posted by Morreale:
I don't much care about most tweets...but when they are coming from someone in outer space, it is a bit different.

Seems odd that they don't have internet dirrectly; satelite-based internet is not commonplace, but it has been around for a while.

323.1.2010 5:37
salecst4

SPAM removed

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jan 2010 @ 7:30

423.1.2010 7:31

So now social networking can be pointless from outer space. Woohoo.

Main PC ~ Intel C2Q Q6600 (G0 Stepping)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3/2GB Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500/Zalman CNPS9700/Antec 900/Corsair HX 620W
Network ~ DD-WRT ~ 2node WDS-WPA2/AES ~ Buffalo WHR-G54S. 3node WPA2/AES ~ WRT54GS v6 (inc. WEP BSSID), WRT54G v2, WRT54G2 v1. *** Forum Rules ***

523.1.2010 11:21

I'm gonna use the porta-potty, follow me on tweeter...

624.1.2010 4:45
llongtheD

I'd be more interested in the deal that twitter cut to get them to do that. Is it a per flight deal, a per tweet deal, or a multi-year sponsorship of the space station?
Look for a shuttle plastered with corporate logos in the near future. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

724.1.2010 5:55

I think they should shut NASA Down Almost all there projects are a waste of money.

It's pretty cool but yep pointless in my eye's.