AfterDawn: Tech news

China denies involvement in Google cyber attack

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 25 Jan 2010 1:23 User comments (6)

China denies involvement in Google cyber attack The Chinese government has denied any involvement in the recent cyber attacks launched at Google, and defended its right to censor search engine queries.
Google has threatened to leave the country entirely after Chinese hackers tried to steal data from the Gmail accounts of human rights activists.

"Any accusation that the Chinese government participated in cyber attacks, either in an explicit or indirect way, is groundless and aims to discredit China,"
said a ministry spokesman. "We are firmly opposed to that."

For Internet censorship, the State Council defended what it does, saying it is fully legal and that other countries should not interfere in China's domestic affairs.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

125.1.2010 6:21

Motives ignored (who else would bother hacking those accounts?) They would not refuse to do an investigation if they were not involved.

226.1.2010 0:50

maybe google should pull out of china entirely.it would stop all the stupid arguing between china and america.


custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

326.1.2010 1:14
llongtheD
Inactive

Originally posted by xboxdvl2:
maybe google should pull out of china entirely.it would stop all the stupid arguing between china and america.
Come on, a corporation pulling out of an internet market larger than the entire population of the United States, don't think so.

Its obvious who's behind it, and its obvious no cooperation will be given. Nations are doing this to one another on a daily basis looking for information, China just got caught. Fix the hole and move on. Why is this still news?

426.1.2010 4:34

I agree that other countries to a certain extent are sniffing around the Internet and bend a few rules here and there. However, China's blatant hacking and constant censoring of Internet content is an attempt to take away people's right to free speech.

I'm glad in European countries, we are allowed to express our opinion freely, even if it goes against the government or other organisations, without fear for repraisal.

526.1.2010 22:52

Originally posted by kyo28:
I agree that other countries to a certain extent are sniffing around the Internet and bend a few rules here and there. However, China's blatant hacking and constant censoring of Internet content is an attempt to take away people's right to free speech.

I'm glad in European countries, we are allowed to express our opinion freely, even if it goes against the government or other organisations, without fear for repraisal.
I wish that was the case here in the US...iv'e been fire-hosed just for holding a sign that said, "Stop Training Terrorists", outside a military base. I guess they are very commited to training terrorists...or at least they were before 2001. Thankfully, they know that chat rooms don't matter, so they don't "dissapear" me for talking online.

627.1.2010 3:41

Quote:
The Chinese government has denied any involvement in the recent cyber attacks launched at Google, and defended its right to censor search engine queries
This basically saying we did do it in an indirect way.

Quote:
For Internet censorship, the State Council defended what it does, saying it is fully legal and that other countries should not interfere in China's domestic affairs.
This is basically saying whoever is in China needs to obey the law of the land as well as mind your own business.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jan 2010 @ 3:42

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive