Ubisoft apologizes to users affected by 'always on' DRM

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 26 Mar 2010 12:28 User comments (18)

Ubisoft apologizes to users affected by 'always on' DRM Ubisoft has "apologized" for downtime experienced by legitimate owners of their games that include "always on" DRM by offering free games to those affected.
The publisher first made headlines when it announced the DRM which made it so gamers must be always connected to the Internet, or not be able to play the game. If you are ever disconnected from the Internet (or Ubi's servers go down), you are forced back to the main menu, losing any progress you made between save points.

Hackers took down Ubisoft's servers just a few days after the games became available, by using a DDoS attack, making it so legitimate players could not play their games, while pirates could.

Ubi is now apologizing by giving free games to select users who were still having issues after the servers went back up. Some were offered a full free game, such as Prince of Persia, while others were given free DLC that's normally included in premium editions.

126.3.2010 13:12

So people are still having problems even when the server came back up?

This is Karma. Ubisoft is being punished for screwing their customers.

226.3.2010 14:49
ukhn99
Unverified new user

326.3.2010 15:12

Well, as long as they apologized then everything is good. Screw U-Bi

426.3.2010 15:50

It's a shame that a always A-lister games producing company like UBISOFT would resort to such activities. It's gonnna only turn even the actual leglimate game buyers into pirates!!

526.3.2010 15:55

Another win for pirates.

626.3.2010 16:24

Well you've already lost my money Ubi I saw all this hassle and simply borrowed it off a mate for PS3. I'd of liked to play it on PC but I can't because your frankly confusing system of giving people a motive to pirate a game has p***ed me off. And no it hasn't remotely slowed piracy it's easier to 'steal' then a baby's candy. Give it a couple of months and they'll blame the slow sales on all the pirates.

726.3.2010 17:59

Is there proof it was a DoS from pirates? Seems like a handy excuse to me :P

826.3.2010 18:10

Lousy hippcite, how many millions did they waste giving POP away???

(yes thats sarcasm)

926.3.2010 22:48

When your customers complain about a "screw up" that you made, what do you do? You fix it. Unfortunately, it seems that they're offering candy to a baby by giving those customers free games. Just how guillable are Ubisoft's customer's are? Be smart, and tell Ubi the hell off, otherwise they'll keep shafting you in the ass expecting you to take their crap!!

1027.3.2010 0:35

"You know what I don't like about this new always connected DRM, if Ubisoft ever goes out of business than all their games just become paper weight."

Only if Ubisoft goes out of business within 1 day of release...always on DRM guarantees a crack release within 1 day! (assuming it isn't cracked a week before release).

"Is there proof it was a DoS from pirates? Seems like a handy excuse to me :P"

I have not seen any proof that it was pirates. Technicaly a DoS attack can be anything that forces many users from many areas to connect to a single server without their consent...so it was certainly a DoS attack, as the users did not consent to the connection.

1127.3.2010 13:04

Originally posted by ukhn99:
They would release an update that unlocks the always on DRM so you can continue playing

1227.3.2010 16:42
cdxanti

This pretty much makes a on the go gaming laptop useless. Their isn't internet everywhere ubi and im sure a dial-up connection would not work. I wouldn't be surprised if the servers were attacked again. This is just stupid.

1327.3.2010 19:58

Stuff your apology up your hole!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Mar 2010 @ 20:02

1428.3.2010 20:49

Originally posted by NHS2008:
I think since they make A-games they want more efficient sales with them.

1530.3.2010 10:19

I think they are just trying to kill of PC gaming...PS3 and 360 games may have DRM...but not like this!

162.4.2010 0:20

I have yet to play a PS3 or 360 Game that forced me to be on-line before I could actually Play the game. I don't like having my Gaming machine online due to Hackers violating the open ports created by DRM. I have 1 machine on-line for internet access and I never use it for gaming. That said, I can't stand for games to force my Gaming Computer ON-LINE. I Buy my Games due to wanting the Hard Copy DVD/CD that way I have something physical to show for it. I Don't mind having to have the Actual CD/DVD in the Drive to play the Game. Don't Punish me because my Computer is Off-Line and I want to play the game.

172.4.2010 0:24

Also forgot to mention the really Annoying "You can only install it 3 times" lock out code on the CD/DVDs like SPORE. I Paid $89.99 for the Universe Edition of Spore, and I can only install it 3 times before I have to Pay for the game again to install it for 3 more times? What kind of Sick Joke is that. I Really hate these Idiotic Paranoid Computer Companies that like to Torture their customers.

182.4.2010 10:41

Originally posted by ZippyDSM:
Lousy hippcite, how many millions did they waste giving POP away???

(yes thats sarcasm)
Na Zip, sarcasm would be something like, "Jeez Ubisoft, you sure saved a lot of money there didn't you?"

But I expect they are looking at the long haul.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 Apr 2010 @ 10:41

Latest news

A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies A bug in Chrome allows you to download Netflix movies (25 Jun 2016 15:21)
A group of security researchers have found a vulnerability in Google's Chrome browser that allows downloading movies straight from Netflix. This is obviously not a feature especially the entertainment ....
Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads Three out of four Netflix customers would rather cancel than watch ads (25 Jun 2016 14:05)
For a long time Netflix was adamant on its pricing. No changes were made for a long time and everything seemed to be good. The markets obviously reacted and more expensive deals and original ....
Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers Apple Music left in the dust, Spotify at 100 million subscribers (25 Jun 2016 12:01)
Spotify has told The Telegraph that it has surpassed the 100 million mark in subscribers. Paying subscribers was earlier this year reported to have passed 30 million. Apple meanwhile is having ....
Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera Rumor has it that Apple has cancelled iPhone's dual camera (18 Jun 2016 18:05)
The next iPhone will be a major upgrade to current iPhone 6s. This biyearly full upgrade cycle provides us with a bigger upgrade every two years. But how will Apple update its number one product, ....
OnePlus releases new flagship killer, smaller X discontinued OnePlus releases new "flagship killer", smaller X discontinued (18 Jun 2016 16:11)
The small Chinese smartphone maker OnePlus took the world by storm two years ago by releasing a super cheap flagship smartphone. They called it the flagship killer, and it indeed challenged ....