Apple to release Safari 5 with 'Reader' next week?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 06 Jun 2010 0:25 User comments (6)

Apple to release Safari 5 with 'Reader' next week? According to AppleInsider, Apple will launch Safari 5 with "Reader" and built-in Bing next week at the much-hyped WWDC.
The company is expected to launch the new iPhone 4G during the event, as well.

Additionally, the updated browser will have expanded HTML5 support.

The documents, allegedly leaked from Apple, show 25 percent faster JavaScript performance than Safari 4. Safari 5 will also include DNS prefetching to allow faster browsing.

The new "Reader" feature gives Internet users a chance to read articles "in a single, clutter-free page."

In the footsteps of Firefox and Chrome, the newly updated browser will include "Private Browsing" as well.

Safari 4 was released about a year ago.

Full new, rumored specs:

16.6.2010 13:32
David Kalthoff
Unverified new user

Many of the features that you've listed as being introduced in the new version of Safari are already included in the current version of Safari, albeit slightly different. For instance, private browing is an option in Safari already, but instead of having a button near the search bar, it's listed in the File menu. The address field can already recognize names of sites instead of just a URL (but you need to type the name and then select the site from the dropdown), and you can open sites in a new tab by default if you change the setting that determines how Safari interacts with links. As far as developer tools, any developer that uses Safari knows that you can easily download a plugin for the current version of Safari that likely has the same features as the one that is going to be included in the newer version.

A lot of the new features are nice, such as the improved javascript support and DNS prefetching. However, as much as I hate to say it I still don't think Safari is up to par with Firefox. I was a long time Safari user on my Mac, but eventually tired of the lack of customization available and switched to Firefox so I could use Greasemonkey and a few FTP plugins to manage my site (http://www.davidkalthoff.com). That's the problem with closed source applications, there's little to no availability of customization. Either that, or I just don't know where to look. :)

26.6.2010 23:39

"According to AppleInsider, Apple will launch Safari 5 with "Reader" and built-in Bing next week at the much-hyped WWDC."

WHAT??? Apple's default search engine will be Microsoft?

37.6.2010 2:39
skyvalley4jesus
Unverified new user

Yeah. Apple going with Microsoft. Scary isn't it?

I personally ban Microsoft products on my Mac...

47.6.2010 2:39
skyvalley4jesus
Unverified new user

Yeah. Apple going with Microsoft. Scary isn't it?

I personally ban Microsoft products on my Mac...

57.6.2010 5:17

I wouldn't ever buy a mac; if I wanted to sacrifice compatability for reliability, I would go to linux. I understand that there are some that are too dumb to use linux, and that is why apple modified linux and called it OSX...but to see Linux get modified and remodified to the point that microsoft is providing the default services is just outrageous!

68.6.2010 23:12

didnt apple mod UNIX not linux?