Project Natal for Xbox 360 to retail as Kinect

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 14 Jun 2010 0:09 User comments (14)

Project Natal for Xbox 360 to retail as Kinect Microsoft has reportedly confirmed that the Project Natal motion sensing system for the Xbox 360 console, first announced at last year's E3 event, will retail as "Kinect". The new name surfaced online on Sunday night with most sites pointing back to a USA Today article that was taken offline but it has since been confirmed.
In addition to the new name for the motion sensing system that Microsoft has asserted will be as fundamental to the Xbox brand as Xbox Live, a short list of Kinect games was also revealed. Kinectimals is a title that will allow the player to train and play with 20 different feline members of the animal kingdom, including lines and tigers.

Kinect Sports is basically an answer for the popular Wii Sports titles with boxing, bowling, beach volleyball, track and field and soccer activities included. Joyride is a kart-style racer title where the player grips an imaginary steering wheel while using his/her feet for accelerating and braking.

Kinect Adventures features a river raft simulator and obstacle course for up to four players. Dance Central is a motion-controlled dance title produced by MTV, and both Disney and Lucasarts have announced Star Wars and Disney characters will be appearing in upcoming Kinect games.

More details of the Kinect motion control system will spilled by Microsoft at the Microsoft Press Conference later today as part of this year's E3. Rumors have put a price tag on Kinect at about $149 on its own, or $100 when included in an Xbox 360 console bundle.

While Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer referred to Kinect (then Natal) as a "New Xbox" at a speech for the Executives' Club of Chicago, the company has continuously emphasized that it will be compatible with all Xbox 360 consoles, and that the life cycle of Xbox 360 is expected to last through 2015.

A slimmer Xbox 360 design is also expected to be unveiled at E3 with leaked pictures of a smaller console and new motherboard doing the rounds. The unit is expected to feature a 250GB hard drive with built-in WiFi.

114.6.2010 1:59

sound good

214.6.2010 2:45
ukhn99
Unverified new user

I actually I the name "Natal" then Kinect.

314.6.2010 2:56

Originally posted by ukhn99:
I actually I the name "Natal" then Kinect.
I haven't actually seen any of the videos, except for the demo, and I don't even know how Natal is pronounced. Is it like nay-tul, or is it like natal(ie)? Kinetic, I get.

414.6.2010 5:48

Originally posted by bomber991:
Originally posted by ukhn99:
I actually I the name "Natal" then Kinect.
Ive been pronouncing it Nay-Tal

514.6.2010 10:16

Most people pronounce it Nay Tal. The easiest way for me to clarify how to pronounce it, and this is right from MS conferences. Nah Tal. Or for those who need better clarification: pronounce each a as you would saying ass. Natal = Nah Tal = We know its a$$.

614.6.2010 10:48

Well no one knows what a "Natal" is, and that was likely an internal name for the project. "Kinect" is a marketing term and you have an idea what it does just by the name. Good move I think, but I don't see this catching on; it will be another Eye Toy or DDR pad for the 360.

714.6.2010 12:28

Who want's it anyway? It's everything I hate about the Wii...LOL

814.6.2010 15:04

I just got done watching the E3 demo and it was pretty awesome. Kinect looks pretty cool. Especially the Star Wars thing. I also love the new design of the 360. I plan on getting one asap. With it being the same price as the original, why not? They said it's "whisper" quiet, 250gb hdd and built in wireless-n. And it's all black and a lot smaller. In the demo they had the shell of the original 360 covering it. For $299.99 it's definitely worth it. Finally seems like Microsoft is getting their sh!t together. Can't wait to get my hands on the new 360.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Jun 2010 @ 15:06

914.6.2010 15:17

Anyone who buys the new 360 when they already own a working old 360 is just plain stupid sorry but it does nothing new so why pay for the same thing again?

Kinect seemed like an advanced eye toy to me I was unintrested in any of the games until they showed the star wars one, became very intrested then until I realised you cant run around in it then lost intrest again, overall after being very excited about e3 I cant help but feel very disapointed so far. The only things that looked any good (reach, gears and black ops) were things we already knew were coming.

But hey thats just what I think

1014.6.2010 15:23

woh Dela howed you know i wanted to train my lines.

1114.6.2010 15:37

Originally posted by DXR88:

woh Dela howed you know i wanted to train my lines.

lolz I just copied that too to make a stupid comment about it. But seems you beat me to it!

1214.6.2010 19:05

THEY ALSO REVEALED THE NEW XBOX SLIM!!!!! SEE IT HERE!! AVAILABLE TOMORROW!!! Everything you need to know about XBOX slim and KINECT Theres picture of it, video of game-play, prices etc.

1314.6.2010 20:25

Lol. I want to train lines too. I will have a pet line of my own and I will call him Squigles. Hahahaha

1415.6.2010 0:21

I gotta say, this just looks really gay. Getting up and shaking my ass while playing as a groovy snowboarder is the exact opposite thing I want to do when I get home. At least the Playstation 3 one coming actually has a nice look to it.