Verizon returns all unsold Kins to Microsoft

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 19 Jul 2010 0:32 User comments (9)

Verizon returns all unsold Kins to Microsoft In late June, Microsoft confirmed they were pulling the plug on the Kin One and Kin Two smartphones, after sales fell well below expectations.
Additionally, the Kin phones will not make it to Europe as promised, and the entire Kin team has been moved over to the company's Windows Phone 7 division.

Today, the devices have seen the last nail in their respective coffins, as Verizon has opted to return all unsold devices to Microsoft, with online and in-store sales suspended as of this weekend.

Although it is still unclear how many Kin devices were sold, but nearly all estimates put units sold between 503 and 9000, an incredibly low number for a device sold on the nation's most popular network.

Verizon is now only selling some accessories for the phones.

119.7.2010 2:33

The Studio? Bah. I saw this commercial for these phones & just laughed my ass off. The most retarded thing that I ever saw M$ come up with. And seriously if you are a dude and u bought that squareish one and you are not gay then I hereby revoke your man-card. NUF SAID

219.7.2010 2:49

Originally posted by SoulGLOW:
lol yeah this had failure written over it from the get go. nice work again ballmer, really f'ing up.

319.7.2010 4:24

If it were not for the contract, I would buy one right now...I bet it will be a great collector's item in a few years!

419.7.2010 9:54

Cell phones aren't ever collectors items because they have a higher turn around rate than PCs do, so don't feel bad if you didn't get one KillerBug, cause I doubt it'd be worth squat 5-10 years from now. Not even the N-Gage is worth anything, cell phones just don't tend to exist when they do bad.

519.7.2010 9:55

I still think MS should unload them onto the pay-as-you-go providers. They're good phones for those types of plans and would be put in the price model they were originally intended for. I'd pick one of these up for my daughter right now if Net10 had them.

619.7.2010 10:45

I think they should install Froyo and sell them as economy android phones...at this point, that seems like Microsoft's only chance to make money on the mobile market!

719.7.2010 12:01

Yeah I am suprised they didn't take off with the kids ya see running all over with BlackBerrys but yeah I don't have that plan myself...my kid sure doesn't need it!

819.7.2010 13:03

wow! those are really good phones!
I was just about to bash M$ as usual but then I looked up the specs on GSMArena and man they were good!! In fact Kin two is EXACTLY what I had been looking for in Nokia handsets..but sadly nothing comes close to Kin two's spec shit. it's just perfect. everything I wanted was in there at such cheap price..and now its already gone..Goddamnit!!
I wish I can get one..and then somehow put android or Symbian^3 on it.. :(

919.7.2010 16:56

Originally posted by NHS2008:
wow! those are really good phones!
I wish I can get one..and then somehow put android or Symbian^3 on it.. :(
Try eBay. I'm sure someone is trying to sell one on there.