Nintendo to ban some children from using 3D functions of 3DS at event

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 30 Dec 2010 1:26 User comments (17)

Nintendo to ban some children from using 3D functions of 3DS at event Nintendo has said this week that children under the age of six will be banned from using the 3D functions of the upcoming 3DS handheld at next month's introductory event.
The 3DS supports 3D images without the need for stereoscopic glasses and will launch globally in February through March.

"Looking at 3-D images for a long time may harm the growth of children’s eyes," said the company in a note to would-be visitors of the event.

Therefore, all young children will be banned from trying the 3D aspects of the game, at least during the event.

In general, Nintendo says users should take a break after every 30 minutes of 3D playing time, or immediately if they feel dizzy.

130.12.2010 1:30

Then why the f**k is nintendo making it? Isn't their primary market still wetting the bed?

230.12.2010 1:43

Originally posted by KillerBug:

A bit old, but numbers say average age is 8-16 for DS owners, and 29 for Wii owners:

330.12.2010 2:06

No one ever listens to the warning labels, just let the kids have some freakin' fun. At least let them TRY IT.

430.12.2010 2:50

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

It is 6 years old, so I guess some of the 10-year-old children that got them around launch time still have the DS.

As for the Wii owners, the average is quite misleading, as they are selling to 10-year-old kids and 50-year-old women...and almost no one in between.

530.12.2010 4:53

Originally posted by KillerBug:

no! my nan doesnt like video games :)

630.12.2010 7:12

Originally posted by KillerBug:

Yes, almost no one between 10 and 50 likes Mario, Zelda, Metroid or any other popular Nintendo franchises. And the whole Wii modding scene is probably all prepubescents and postmenopausal women too.

[/sarcasm]

730.12.2010 8:49

Originally posted by nonoitall:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

[/sarcasm]
LOL! +1!

Everyone I know with a Wii (over 40 people) are between 20 and 32 years of age...

830.12.2010 11:16

I wasn't entirely for it, but my 5 year old daughter got a DSi for Christmas. And my wife and I (29 & 30) would like to get a Wii.

I wanna devise a virus and bring dire straights to your environments. Crush your corporations with a mild touch, trash the whole computer systems and revert you to papyrus - Deltron 3030

930.12.2010 12:09
alexeemo

Originally posted by nonoitall:
Originally posted by KillerBug:

[/sarcasm]
I think Killerbug is right. My mother in law just got one for Christmas. Everyone I know that owns one is older than me by at least 10 years. I'm 39

PSN ID alexeemo, Level 10, 484 Trophies and counting

1030.12.2010 12:28

It's just a way for Nintendo to cover their butts. If they make a statement like this at an introductory event and a parent buys a 3DS for their 5 year old and they have a reaction to prolong exposure to 3D gaming then it's on the parents not Nintendo...I understand. However I'm not sure why you would get a 6 year old a 3DS in the first place seems like a waste of technology on a kid that age however I'll be getting some for myself and my 3 kids (all 9 or older) and will hopefully get them and myself to take breaks every 30 minutes.

1130.12.2010 14:30

I read somewhere that it doesn't have to do with WHY they would play a 3DS at that age, but that anyone under 6 couldn't because it puts too much strain on the young one's eyes, but yeah, you would think that Nintendo wouldn't give a hoot, but given what happened to the Virtual Boy (remember that one?), and that was screwing up adults eyes, they're putting a precaution, but I doubt that it would help anyways. It's just like what wileycb says, they're just covering their rears so that they won't get a sued by a plethora of parents.

Chance prepares the favored mind. Look up once in a while and you might learn something. - BLUEBOY

1230.12.2010 16:16

Originally posted by KillerBug:

I was just about to say that...WTF Nintendo its like saying "Only the big boys can play in 3d"...their really jerks more so to when they copyrighted amaterasu on Xmas Eve

1330.12.2010 16:18

It's actually smart for Nintendo to make this disclaimer.

Now, when little Johnny goes cross-eyed from his portable video toy, Nintendo will have covered their arse from the impending lawsuits by not only putting warning labels on the box (which they will undoubtedly do), but because they also warned parents and potential buyers months before release.

They're not idiots. Nintendo realizes that lawsuits are becoming the #1 occupation for Americans these days.

X360 - iXtreme1.4 ||| Xbox - EvoX Dash ||| PS2 - CC 2.0 PRO SLE ||| Dreamcast ...lol ||| NDS - Acekard 2/M3 Simply/EZ Flash 3-1 ||| Rooted HTC Hero with Ic3rom

1430.12.2010 16:23

Originally posted by Joshewah:

Frivolous lawsuits are the only way I can feed my family now-a-days. lol

1530.12.2010 20:12

Originally posted by klassic:
Originally posted by Joshewah:

Frivolous lawsuits are the only way I can feed my family now-a-days. lol
Haha.

Forza Juve!!

1631.12.2010 5:20

I feel so sorry for the kids of today, when i was little you could only go cross eyed from watching to much tv or to much ermm cough hand shanks.

Now they have lenticular screens to cope with as well, there is no hope for them i say.... just think of the children.

172.1.2011 9:45

every 30 minutes of 3D playing time
The last time I too a break from gaming was when my 360 red ringed.

www.inebriare.com