AfterDawn Forums - 10 years

Written by Petteri Pyyny (Google+) @ 28 Mar 2011 14:52 User comments (77)

AfterDawn Forums - 10 years Today we celebrate our discussion forums' 10th birthday.
It was exactly ten years ago today when the first public post was made to our forums. Since that post, more than 3.6 million messages have been posted to our forums -- and an additional 1.4 million posts to our Finnish language forums.

To celebrate the moment, here's our "Top 10 all-time" forum poster chart (excluding moderators and admins):
  1. sammorris
  2. sc0user
  3. larrylje
  4. steimy
  5. sly_61019
  6. attar
  7. arniebear
  8. Rotary
  9. gwendolin
  10. NoLimit04

I'd like to thank all of our users, no matter what your post count or forum "title" is, for keeping our forums alive and kicking for more than a decade. Thank you!

-Petteri Pyyny, webmaster
AfterDawn.com

P.S. We're running small "clearance of our storage room" project and as a result of that, we'll send out AfterDawn branded stuff, like towels, to a randomly picked forum poster every day during the next 14 days.

The lucky winners are:
2011-04-05 - mixfm
2011-04-06 - xerodaze
2011-04-07 - wabashman
2011-04-08 - KillerBug
2011-04-09 - MrGreaser
2011-04-10 - Jemborg

Winners have been contacted via forum PM.

Tags: AfterDawn

128.3.2011 15:04

Happy Birthday Guys....Congratulations!!!
And now.....back to work ;)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Mar 2011 @ 2:23

Live Free or Die.
The rule above all the rules is: Survive !
Capitalism: Funnel most of the $$$ to the already rich.

228.3.2011 15:21

Happy bday AD forums.

328.3.2011 16:03

YAY!!! I love AD glad these forums are around I'd have been lost lots of times without them!!

XXYYQQOO!!! Yeah WELCOME TO JAMROCK

428.3.2011 16:34

Cool beans... i have only been around afterdawn for like 6 or 7 years... but i've had different accounts since i would loose e-mail addresses... but that's cool, when you find something worth the trouble you come back :=)

so happy birthday :)

X_x

528.3.2011 16:34

Happy Birthday AfterDawn forums!

628.3.2011 16:48

congrats man, afterdawn is like home to me . first thing i do when i hop on da net is check out afterdawn news, even the forums ive learnt alot. lol its an addiction. fanks for this great service you guys , hope you run for another 10years :).

728.3.2011 17:25

Congrats. I have been on 7-8 years. Happy B-day. Great site.

828.3.2011 17:47

Oh my 10 years - time flies when you're having fun! The top 10 posters of all times - another good one - I remember them all!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...

928.3.2011 18:42

Congratulations!!!!

1028.3.2011 18:52

Been using this site religiously for 6 years or so, only recently (a year or two ago) created an account. this is one of the best sites for technical support/research (forums) and tech news.

1128.3.2011 19:12

Congrats..
I've been around for a long time. Just recently decided to join the forums to speak my peace.

Maybe a Smackdown forum would be in order for people to speak their crazy minds, like me ;).
Carry-on AD
Jeff

1228.3.2011 19:44

Sorry for Afterdawn!! Here's to another 10 great years of news and comments (lifts beer bottle) Cheers!!!

Edit: Sorry about that, meant to say Horray for Afterdawn!! (face palm) Have HTC Thunderbolt and still getting used to the keyboard.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Mar 2011 @ 19:46

Chance prepares the favored mind. Look up once in a while and you might learn something. - BLUEBOY

1328.3.2011 20:20

After seeing the figures, I would be in there between steimy and sly for post count, although I more or less stopped using the forums in 2004 when I turned 18 and started working... bit of a shame really because I had a great time in the few years I was active on the forums. Oh well, that's life :-)

Still remember all the folks from back then too... and the utterly horrible layout of course ;-) Early days of IRC as well were wonderful. Used to hang out on Liquid_IRC (IIRC) first and then went through a bunch of networks after that.... 2002 - ~2008, RIP #ad_buddies + #afterdawn. :-(

I still have hundreds of megabyts of raw logs from IRC on an old HDD here from wayback too ;-) Should crack em out someday and embarrass myself and everyone else who was there ;-)

But dRD... where's the f*#kin party at???? ;-)

1428.3.2011 21:00

happy birthday :D

1528.3.2011 22:56

Happy birthday AD!

Joust thinc of all bandwith waested on poeple correkting speling errorz ovur tha yaers.

1628.3.2011 23:54

happy birthday now wheres the cake and drinks??

custom built gaming pc from early 2010,ps2 with 15 games all original,ps3 500gbs with 5 games all original,yamaha amp and 5.1channel surround sound speakers,46inch sony lcd smart tv.

1729.3.2011 4:19

Wow, 10 years! Love this site, great for news and tech help.

I wanna devise a virus and bring dire straights to your environments. Crush your corporations with a mild touch, trash the whole computer systems and revert you to papyrus - Deltron 3030

1829.3.2011 6:14

Happy Birthday AD :)

★☆A Complete History On The PS3☆★

1929.3.2011 8:57

Happy Birthday AD, Heres to another 10 years!

hm-9001s Chan Editor - https://hotfile.com/dl/184330990/a6b825a/PolarEditOctagon10x8Setup_0.725.zip.html
Ariva 250 Patched Firmware -
Ariva 250 Chan Editor - http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/downl...mbo/Editor.zip/
Ariva 150 Patched -

2029.3.2011 12:30

Happy B-day A.D.
Been reading for years, became a newbeee not long ago, brill site and fav home page too.....Have a JD on me..

2129.3.2011 13:19

Highest post count? How'd that happen? :D

It's been a pleasure to be at aD for the last 7 of those years. Here's to another decade :)

Afterdawn Addict // Silent PC enthusiast // PC Build advisor // LANGamer Alias:Ratmanscoop
PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13

2229.3.2011 13:19

lol, I still get a double post bug. Maybe that's how!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Mar 2011 @ 13:20

2329.3.2011 14:57

Another milestone for probably the best Techno-news and info site and forums!! Happy 10th anniversary for discussion boards!

2429.3.2011 15:09
lissenup3

Happy Birthday Afterdawn..........1 year for everytime you've permanently banned me.

2529.3.2011 18:09

Happy Birthday A.D.

Lets go for another 10

2629.3.2011 20:46

Originally posted by binkie7:
I have not seen a post from you an a very long time. I guess you moderate forums that I don't read. Glad to see you are still in the saddle.

2729.3.2011 21:03

Happy Birthday. Fantastic forum.
The Texas Dragon

2830.3.2011 0:51

Congrats on an amazing forum! I've been here most of those years! I got a little slow on posting once school picked up, but I always come here for the latest on the know.

2930.3.2011 4:54

Happy Birthday Afterdawn

Hope you are around for at least another 10 years.

3030.3.2011 13:31

Where's the cake !! Birthday greetings AD. 10 more years and I'll be older ...

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 30 Mar 2011 @ 13:31

3130.3.2011 13:58

Thanks guys. And no, its not (wasnt) our site's birthday, but instead, our forums' birthday. We actually did run our site for almost two years before launching the current forum section. Which, looking to the past, was a very good decision to do, although, could've been done straight from the beginning :-) Our site will celebrate its 12th birthday in June :-)

Petteri Pyyny (pyyny@twitter)
Webmaster

3230.3.2011 15:38

Hey Mez!
Yeah it's been awhile but things should finally be slowing down enough soon for me to be a bit more active here.
Glad to see you are still around!

Forum Rules
Do this before posting
Do not click this link...

3330.3.2011 16:31

Happy Birthday AfterDawn!

3430.3.2011 19:44

I'm glad this place continues on. [all]Nice job[/all].

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. - Groucho Marx

3531.3.2011 13:06

keep on top all

A woman drove me to drink and I never even had the courtesy to thank her.

3631.3.2011 14:44

Congratulations, you were very helpful when I needed it, well done.

3731.3.2011 18:18

Originally posted by binkie7:
Hey Mez!
Glad to see you are still around!
Likewise, there are not many old timers left. I am not all that active but I hit AD a few times a week.

3831.3.2011 18:22

Originally posted by dRD:
Thanks for that bit of history. I never realized I joined shortly after the forums started. Until now I thought I came on 2 yrs after the start.

Thanks for changing the forum formats so rarely.

3931.3.2011 19:15

Feliz Cumplea~os AD! May you have many more!

401.4.2011 9:55

Happy Birthday AfterDawn

George

411.4.2011 12:54

Congrats from Puerto Rico. You guys rock!!!

If I always hear voices surrounding me, does it mean Im crazy or that I hear in Dolby 5.1?

421.4.2011 15:09

congrats :D
I am proud to say I have been here for most of the time that afterdawn has been up. I have been here for 7 years and always read the news here every week but im still just a junior member :(

The average woman would rather have beauty than brains, because the average man can see better than he can think.
--quote by unknown

431.4.2011 15:21

Congrats

441.4.2011 15:29

Originally posted by 0ldskool:
congrats :D
I don't know how AD classifies people. I'm a 56 yer old Junior.
Even though I was one of the people (two hundred of us)who started the first website in the US (Stanford U), Junior is ok with me. ;)
Jeff

451.4.2011 15:30

It's all down to post count, sadly. AD Addict is 2500 posts, I believe.

PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13

461.4.2011 18:43

Originally posted by Mrguss:
Happy Birthday Guys....Congratulations!!!
And now.....back to work ;)
Wow, 10 years, that's awesome! I really love AfterDawn and have been reading it about that long, not sure really.

Keep up the good work!

471.4.2011 22:02

Jeff, read this link on ranking. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/342629

481.4.2011 23:16

Originally posted by ddp:
Thanks.
It looks like it will a while for me.
I enjoy the info on this forum(s). Hopefully I can contribute in the mean time.
Jeff

491.4.2011 23:24

maybe then maybe not as i did addict status just under 4 months.

502.4.2011 10:36

ddp that must be a near record. I know a few that go through those stages quickly but not that quickly. Me, it has almost taken 10 yrs of regular activity to get there.

512.4.2011 10:39

Depends on the activity of the forum. I started posting relatively sporadically, and didn't see beyond member for a good year or two after my signup date, but on another forum I made the 2000 post mark in about 6 weeks, because it's really busy.

PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13

522.4.2011 11:02

Originally posted by sammorris:
I know what you mean.
I'm a member of SVTP (Ford forums). It took 1000 posts to get upgraded.
I used to race my 2004 Mustang Cobra. The board is a plethora of knowledge which helped me set-up the car to become competitive..
Very expensive hobby. I took my eldest daughter with me to document and take pics and videos.
Gawd! she will be 29 5/4.
Jeff
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 Apr 2011 @ 11:03

Cars, Guitars & Radiation.

532.4.2011 11:22

Me sitting on the grid @ Willows in California.

Jeff

543.4.2011 12:47

I've learned a lot from the good members at afterdawn over the years. I hope with what little I shared was helpful to as well. My motto was "Teach and Learn" guess that sums it all up. Rev

crackmeup

553.4.2011 13:03

Originally posted by ddp:
Whoa. I remember when it was 1000 post for senior and 1500 for addict. All this time I thought I was so close aha.

563.4.2011 15:29

revengine, that "teach & learn" was my saying back in late 04-early 05.

573.4.2011 15:31

I remember that! Nostalgia... :D

PC Specs page -- http://my.afterdawn.com/sammorris/blog_entry.cfm/11247
updated 10-Dec-13

583.4.2011 18:55

Congrats! All I can say is that I have learned a lot from Afterdawn
keep up the great work.

593.4.2011 19:25

I'm not going to argue with you ddp, but I never copy my slogans from nobody. If we were thinking alike it's a cool thingy.

crackmeup

603.4.2011 23:15

Just give us another ten years. That's prize enough.

614.4.2011 2:36
yulizar arief
Unverified new user

arks irks urges ay aw ah 360 365 366 ddmmyy1:36pm:am 04 april monday

624.4.2011 19:55

happy birthday afterdawn hope we have many more years with you

635.4.2011 22:05

Congrats on 10 years! I have learned so much from the posts on this website - it has been a great resource!

646.4.2011 2:37

Happy bday ac

656.4.2011 19:32

Happy Birthday!
Tnx for so many things. You have been very helpful for me about technical support.
Are You really a teenager already, funny how fast kids grow nowadays.
I wish You more and more glittering decades.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Apr 2011 @ 23:23

Internet, Vapaitten ihmisten tapa el ilman rajoja tai Rajoituksia, ajatus Joka silyy..

666.4.2011 22:53

Originally posted by hglez86:

so happy birthday :)

in regards to that, i just found a post that i made it said march 27, 2007. i had an account as mglez86, which it says was "mglez86 Suspended due non-functional email address ". funny i came to find that. good memories.

X_x

677.4.2011 9:41

Happy 10th AD!

Side note: This is the first time I've ever won anything online! :O

I love AD!

X360 - iXtreme1.4 ||| Xbox - EvoX Dash ||| PS2 - CC 2.0 PRO SLE ||| Dreamcast ...lol ||| NDS - Acekard 2/M3 Simply/EZ Flash 3-1 ||| Rooted HTC Hero with Ic3rom

687.4.2011 17:48

Happy '10' Birthday AD... This has always been my home forum.

My consoles: Nintendo64>Dreamcast aug/99>PS2 V7-Seagate 400gb hdd-Maxtor 300gb hdd,PS2 V14 FMCB 1.8 - Memor32 >V18 SM 3.6 >DS-Lite-G6DS Real 16GB-R4DS Ultra 8gb SDHC>Gamecube-Original>Wii-Wiikey 2>PSP PHAT CFW 5.00 M33-6>DSi (Kingdom Hearts Edition)-EZ Flash Vi - M3i Zero Sakura>Kindom Hearts:Birth by Sleep PSP 3000>PS3 80GB. WiiU PS4 XBOXONE 3DSNDS

698.4.2011 0:59

I need some new towels, mine are getting kind of smelly and are starting to get holes in them. Maybe some toilet paper too(The Sunday news paper is a little rough! plus it leaves ink and I can't tell if I'm clean or not).

Playstation 2-Free McBoot,HDloader 8.0c,Open PS2 Loader 0.7,80gb Maxtor HDD,SMS Media Player,PGen,SNES Station- Installed
GameCube-SDload,SD Card Adapter,BBA Adapter,2 Color Case,GnuboyGX,MPlayer- Installed

7017.4.2011 22:50

Happy belated birthday AD !
Since the beginning, you have been my #1 source of info. On several occasions your information has saved me from making bad decisions in the digital and media world. AD and all its contributors are the best.
Here's to another 10 years!

7118.4.2011 6:29

All the winners have been drawn and are listed at the bottom of the news article. Please check your private messages if you were one of the lucky ones.

If you didn't win this time, keep checking the site as well as our Facebook fan page - new sweepstakes could be just around the corner!

Jari Ketola
Administrator

7218.4.2011 6:56

WOOT! I won! This is the first time I ever won anything online (unless one of those Nigerian business opportunity emails was legit).

Can't wait to look like a big(er) geek wearing my AD swag!

7318.4.2011 7:35

I could use a towel, One that I am using now has a big hole, right up front...

7418.4.2011 10:16

Ahahah, when I saw that I won a prize just for a moment I though it was one of those fake $1,000,000 scams type things. I'm like... yeah, right, sure I have... what's the catch? :D

But it's great, AD branded things! Yay, better than a million dollars anyday!

Lucky I like the logo! :P

Congratulations Afterdawn, keep up the good stuff.

Its a lot easier being righteous than right.

DSE VZ300-
Zilog Z80 CPU, 32KB RAM (16K+16K cartridge), video processor 6847, 2KB video RAM, 16 colours (text mode), 5.25" FDD

7518.4.2011 23:46

And here I am posting wayyy after the prizes were already handed out. Oh well....Happy 10yrs AD.....and cheers to 10 more!!

7627.4.2011 4:39

Haha, second to last chosen! AD, you guys are awesome...and I mean everyone here from the staff to the forum posters. Thank you for all the help you given me over the years and I can only hope to give back the knowledge I've obtained to somebody else.

Happy Birthday AD! May you live forever!

-MrGreaser

"All drives should be updated to Lite Touch + (LT+) firmware if playing on XBOX live. Samsung drives and pre-78/79 Hitachi drives do not utilize AP 2.5. All other drives are considered to be detectable by Microsoft (YMMV). Make sure all rips are ABGX verified, contain SSv2, and patched AP2.5 (where needed). XGD3 must currently be burned on new drive with PC Burner Max firmware for 100% rip. All modded consoles can be potentially unsafe for use on XBOX live."

7726.5.2011 8:58

The prizes were mailed late last week and should be arriving to the winners during the next couple of weeks.

Jari Ketola