AfterDawn: Tech news

'Ultraviolet' digital rights locker coming this fall?

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 13 Jul 2011 23:26 User comments (12)

'Ultraviolet' digital rights locker coming this fall? Last July, Digital Entertainment Content Ecosystem (DECE), a syndicate of technology, cable and entertainment companies introduced their long awaited cloud-based digital locker today, dubbing the service Ultraviolet.
Today, it appears the group is readying Ultraviolet for a fall launch.

When it launches, the service will allow users to stream their music and movies anywhere, as long as it is legally purchased.

Content providers will get to use one cloud-based platform to create a set of Web standards for DRM on digital content.

Says Mark Teitell, the general manager of UltraViolet (via RWW):

Consumers are looking for a better value proposition to own and collect digital movies and TV shows - a proposition that provides downloads, streaming and physical copy viewing options which are accessible on multiple platforms.


The files will play on all devices that conform to Ultraviolet standards, including Blu-ray players, HDTVs, smartphones, tablets and PCs.

A full list of DECE members is here: DECE Wiki. The two largest notable missing names are Disney and Apple, which offer rival services.

More news

Previous Next

Related news

 

12 user comments

114.7.2011 4:03

These huge corporations really should have pushed this out sooner. Now everyone knows that the cloud cannot be trusted (especially when Sony is involved).



214.7.2011 4:10

conform?.. stuff em

as for "the cloud".. yeah right.. trust some corporation with your data?.. not likely!!




ARR! Them pesky Navy! Get out of my sea!
irc://irc.villageirc.net/afterdawn http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/

314.7.2011 9:39

How would they know if the music was legally purchased or not?

414.7.2011 11:05

I smell a wet bloated rat here folks... Don't say I didn't warn you. Corporations touting BS about putting "anything" into the consumers hands (especially "control") is a bold face lie & it would be naive to think otherwise.

Falling for this maple sweetened stick of honey glazed horse shite for the sake of convenience & their supposed ability to take care of 'your property' is a ruse.

I know I'm being redundant, but I just want this to be on record so I have perfected right to say "I told you so" when the bubble breaks.


514.7.2011 22:36

Quote:
I smell a wet bloated rat here folks... Don't say I didn't warn you. Corporations touting BS about putting "anything" into the consumers hands (especially "control") is a bold face lie & it would be naive to think otherwise.

Falling for this maple sweetened stick of honey glazed horse shite for the sake of convenience & their supposed ability to take care of 'your property' is a ruse.

I know I'm being redundant, but I just want this to be on record so I have perfected right to say "I told you so" when the bubble breaks.
Great minds think alike LordRuss! I'm with you!

"In all your getting, get an understanding!"

Dell Dimension DIM4600 Intel P4 CPU 2.66GHz 2.5GB-DDR 160GB-HDD Primary 80GB-HDD Slave Memorex 16x DL -/+RW Burner JLMS DVD-ROM XJ-HD166 WinXP Home Edition SP3

615.7.2011 17:57

it would be good as long as pricing reflects a few concerns. if i can't lend or re-sell, the content isn't the same quality spec-wise as the physical version, and we cut out the middle-man (i.e. retail) completely, i'd be willing to pay $1-2 for older stuff and $3-5 for new releases. i'd even pay $7-10 if same day as theaters. anything else would be a complete and total rip-off.

715.7.2011 19:24

Rain cloud.

818.7.2011 12:12

Correct me if I'm wrong, I've only been doing this all my life... But wouldn't it be so much easier to just use your existing connection to the net and turn an old machine into a small server? Or buy a new cheap one and do the same. Regardless, my brother and I have had our own music, movies, and software files accessible from any internet-enabled device for forever.

Why pay some company and risk them going through your things?


~*Livin' Electronicallly*~

918.7.2011 12:26

Originally posted by buxtahuda:
Correct me if I'm wrong, I've only been doing this all my life... But wouldn't it be so much easier to just use your existing connection to the net and turn an old machine into a small server? Or buy a new cheap one and do the same. Regardless, my brother and I have had our own music, movies, and software files accessible from any internet-enabled device for forever.

Why pay some company and risk them going through your things?
I was thinking the same thing, as you and LordRuss. this is just bs. Im going to laugh my ass off when there severs and clients get hacked for the useless data that will be held on the so called "cloud".

Stupid questions are for google. Learn how to use it, because everyone has a stupid question every now and then.

http://google.com

1018.7.2011 15:03

@buxtahuda & Dmite30... That's kinda what I've been ranting about the "cloud" for some time now... If I can be grossly basic for a moment... It would be like you guys leaving your file cabinets in my house for a while. Locked or not, they're in 'my' house & basically under my responsibility. Given & that being the case, let's say I get a wild hair & have discerned that I have the right to know what I'm protecting for you guys. If your cabinet is unlocked, I'll just go through it & possibly discriminate what's of importance to protect (or not). If the files are locked, I'll just unlock them (because it's for your own good; remember now 'my house') & the same process holds.

But now if I find illegal information; ill gotten music, documents, movies, kiddie porn, snuff flicks, my little ponies - then I get to report you to the authorities & be a hero too. All because it's my house.

Nope... Them folks can keep their cloud & pound sand. I'll loose my own files & define my own legalities, thank you anyway.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Jul 2011 @ 15:06

1118.7.2011 15:56

Originally posted by LordRuss:
@buxtahuda & Dmite30... That's kinda what I've been ranting about the "cloud" for some time now... If I can be grossly basic for a moment... It would be like you guys leaving your file cabinets in my house for a while. Locked or not, they're in 'my' house & basically under my responsibility. Given & that being the case, let's say I get a wild hair & have discerned that I have the right to know what I'm protecting for you guys. If your cabinet is unlocked, I'll just go through it & possibly discriminate what's of importance to protect (or not). If the files are locked, I'll just unlock them (because it's for your own good; remember now 'my house') & the same process holds.

But now if I find illegal information; ill gotten music, documents, movies, kiddie porn, snuff flicks, my little ponies - then I get to report you to the authorities & be a hero too. All because it's my house.

Nope... Them folks can keep their cloud & pound sand. I'll loose my own files & define my own legalities, thank you anyway.
Two thumbs up!

Stupid questions are for google. Learn how to use it, because everyone has a stupid question every now and then.

http://google.com

1222.7.2011 11:09

Another method to squeeze some more cash out of the already cash strapped wee man.

Trust the cloud - Sony has already proved that to be a loss leader...

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest user comments

News archive