Samsung gets around Dutch sales ban by changing feature on phone

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 12 Oct 2011 13:17 User comments (6)

Samsung gets around Dutch sales ban by changing feature on phone According to the Yonhap news agency, Samsung will replace a feature of their Galaxy smartphones in order to get around a sales ban in the Netherlands.
The feature, which relates to a patent for browsing pictures, will be replaced.

Apple and Samsung have been battling over the past year over smartphone patents, with both companies looking to get sales of the rival's devices banned.

The Dutch injunction on the Galaxy mobile smartphones will start on Thursday so Samsung needs to be quick with their software update.

113.10.2011 2:05

so there will be no more smartphones?

213.10.2011 3:50

Hopefully all these injunctions will force Samsung to stop putting so much worthless bloatware on their devices...if I want an app, I'll download it from the market...I already removed over 100MB of bloatware from my phone and I still have about 70 pre-installed apps that I don't need or even want.

313.10.2011 10:56

I don't have an android device so I'm not sure, but don't all those go away with rooting your device to some stock version?

"Cable thief is a victimless crime."

413.10.2011 12:09

Originally posted by plutonash:
Rooting has nothing to do with stock. Rooting simply gives you administrator like access. It does not change any app installed on the phone. However, once rooted you can then manually remove any bloatware apps that carriers or OEMs add. Even then we still are not even close to stock because we can not remove the custom UI the OEMs put on the phones. That requires devs to take a completely stock android build, or a ROM based on stock android(Stock android is considered AOSP - Android Open Source Project) like Cyanagon Mod 7. However that requires time and effort as drivers need to be ported to the new rom or written from scratch.

OS: Kubuntu 12.10/Windows 8 -- CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K -- Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 -- Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator -- Graphics Card: Sapphire 4890 Vapor-X -- Monitor: Dell 2208WFP -- Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000 -- PSU: Corsair 520HX -- Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX -- Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C -- Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD/1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black/1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green/2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

513.10.2011 12:27

Originally posted by KillerBug:
I thought you had a Sensation 4G?

613.10.2011 23:26

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
Originally posted by KillerBug:
I thought you had a Sensation 4G?
They all load their phones with bloatware...take a look around a verizon/AT&T/T-Mobile/Sprint store some time.

There is a big problem with needing to use Root just to remove unwanted apps...root voids the warranty. I should not have to void my warranty just to remove the HTC spyware or the 17 different social network apps.

The worst part is that all the apps that came on there were outdated...so even if I wanted them, I would have to download another copy that would not overwrite the first...so the stock apps just waste space, they can't actually be used.