AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony: 'Undesirable' for PS4 to launch much later than Xbox Next, Wii U

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 26 Nov 2011 23:56 User comments (17)

Sony: 'Undesirable' for PS4 to launch much later than Xbox Next, Wii U Sony Europe president Jim Ryan has said this weekend that it would be highly "undesirable" for the company to release the PlayStation 4 too far after rivals Microsoft and Nintendo launch their next-gen consoles.
To quote, Ryan says:

I think we would consider it undesirable to be significantly later than the competition [with the next PlayStation].


The Nintendo Wii U should be out late next year and rumors have been mounting that Microsoft will unveil the Xbox successor in 2012, as well, for a 2013 release.

Sony, on the other hand, says they are firmly sticking by the PS3, which still has at least four more years left in its life cycle.

For the PS3, Ryan adds: "There's still a lot of unfinished business on PS3. If you look at PlayStation 2, now in excess of 150m units installed globally, a huge majority of that was done at price points of 120 or lower. [With PS3] we've only just hit 199 in the UK, so clearly there's a considerable untapped part of the market there."

Tags: console PS4 Sony
Previous Next  

17 user comments

127.11.2011 0:07

"There's still a lot of unfinished business on PS3. If you look at PlayStation 2, now in excess of 150m units installed."

Sony is starting to sound like a certain president, repeating the same line over and over again. Why do we have to keep comparing from the past, use the resources you have now instead of complaining about being in last place.


Custom Computer rebuild 2.80GHZ@6cores/8GBRAM|3DS | WII|360|PS3|

227.11.2011 11:33

Four years may be a stretch, esp. if Microsoft launches a new machine in the near future. Justifying a late offer for the next generation of consoles because of a so-called untapped market doesn't hold water for me. The reason the PS2 has been so strong has been due in large part to its library, not just its price point. Lacking PS2 compatibility has been a major drawback on the PS3 for just this reason. Combined with the popularity of the 360 in spite of all that system's issues, I think Sony's going to be eating a pretty large bullet if the next Xbox has a head start of more than a year.

327.11.2011 13:42

I still will get a ps4 I am a PlayStation fan since the first one. Before I decide I want backwards compatible unlike the ps3 which was only available on certain models. I have both the 360 and ps3 I like the free games with the PSN. With the blue-ray in the market a while and pretty descent price ps4 should have a descent shot at taking the market like they did with ps2.

427.11.2011 17:37

PS4 is what I will get as well going by all the first party studios Sony owns they could be on to a great start for next gen.

527.11.2011 20:02

I think it'd be wise for Sony to wait; they still have a lot of crap to deal with on PS3 first, especially lawsuits to finish up. That aside, I just can't see it being great if they release something for the sake of being first or second. If they did they may as well advertise their consoles as follows:

PS-IV Screwing over consumers first!

628.11.2011 4:18

If Microsoft is going to release a console that still uses SD-DVD then it doesn't matter what they bring to the table. The console will be a joke as game graphics will only get more complex, have fun with your 8 disc games.

PS3 will kill a new console from M$ because the by the time they release a new system for $499, the PS3 will still be the more advanced console for $200. Sony will win just by price point alone. Sure Xbox fans will gush over the new system, but with old tech SD-DVD optical drive under the hood it may as well come with a tape deck too.



728.11.2011 14:38

Considering the console is not out yet it would be unwise to jump to the conclusion of there being only a SD-DVD drive.

As it is in the development stages it is possible MS could use any optical device Blu-ray, HD-DVD (revived) or a new format. Or they could scrap the disc and go with something like a memory card or usb stick, or a portable SSD.

Solely streaming would be a console killer for any new system.

I have the PS3 and hardly find anything that can indicate it being superior over the Xbox. Does the PS3 still have potential in it to compete with a newer generation xbox, not sure, but highly unlikely.

Usually the console bashers on here are single system users who have been fanboys since the start. They can't honestly compare systems because they only have the one system and boil at the thought of another system being better.

I have all the systems, I am not a hardcore gamer, and I have no fanboyism toward any of the systems, they all have faults and many improvements can be made to each. Under my personal observations the only thing going for the PS3 is the Blu-ray drive, which can be used by any other future system or can be replaced by something better.

Fanboys get other it!

If PS4 comes out too soon it will look bad on the PS3, if it comes out too late it will be overtaken by the competition. They need to be wise on how they play this out.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Nov 2011 @ 14:40

828.11.2011 17:59
llongtheD
Inactive

Originally posted by jookycola:
If Microsoft is going to release a console that still uses SD-DVD then it doesn't matter what they bring to the table. The console will be a joke as game graphics will only get more complex, have fun with your 8 disc games.

PS3 will kill a new console from M$ because the by the time they release a new system for $499, the PS3 will still be the more advanced console for $200. Sony will win just by price point alone. Sure Xbox fans will gush over the new system, but with old tech SD-DVD optical drive under the hood it may as well come with a tape deck too.
Do you actually believe they would release the next Xbox with a SD-DVD drive? I understand your a Sony play station fan, but come on, that statement is a bit ridiculous. If Microsoft is actually dumb enough to do that however, they would definitely place last in the next gen battle. I have to agree with chubbyinc that if Sony launches their next console too far behind, it will hurt them.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Nov 2011 @ 18:02

928.11.2011 21:14

I dunno what nin is thinking with tis retro flash game focused machine, Sony is DOA again I would go for a PS4 if it had full BWC, just think what a 8 or 12X BR drive in it would mean to load times.

As for MS I can only hope they don't fkc up BWC......


Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

1028.11.2011 21:16

Originally posted by chubbyInc:
Considering the console is not out yet it would be unwise to jump to the conclusion of there being only a SD-DVD drive.

As it is in the development stages it is possible MS could use any optical device Blu-ray, HD-DVD (revived) or a new format. Or they could scrap the disc and go with something like a memory card or usb stick, or a portable SSD.

Solely streaming would be a console killer for any new system.

I have the PS3 and hardly find anything that can indicate it being superior over the Xbox. Does the PS3 still have potential in it to compete with a newer generation xbox, not sure, but highly unlikely.

Usually the console bashers on here are single system users who have been fanboys since the start. They can't honestly compare systems because they only have the one system and boil at the thought of another system being better.

I have all the systems, I am not a hardcore gamer, and I have no fanboyism toward any of the systems, they all have faults and many improvements can be made to each. Under my personal observations the only thing going for the PS3 is the Blu-ray drive, which can be used by any other future system or can be replaced by something better.

Fanboys get other it!

If PS4 comes out too soon it will look bad on the PS3, if it comes out too late it will be overtaken by the competition. They need to be wise on how they play this out.
Er no Blu ray is still cheaper than 20-40$ for 32-64GB of USB 2.0 flash memory. And HD DVD is dead as door nails.

Copyright infringement is nothing more than civil disobedience to a bad set of laws. Lets renegotiate them.

---
Check out my crappy creations
http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/

1129.11.2011 18:06

I'll probably wait for it.

The idea of a paid service to play online games is crap if you ask me, and I have no doubt that Microsoft will keep the Live service to their next console.

1229.11.2011 18:33

I'll wait for Sony's second price drop. Then I'll see if they start removing features. If they don't and it has FULL BWC I may get one.

I'm still livid about the removal of OtherOS. I could care less about CFW.

131.12.2011 15:24

Originally posted by Ben79:
I'll wait for Sony's second price drop. Then I'll see if they start removing features. If they don't and it has FULL BWC I may get one.

I'm still livid about the removal of OtherOS. I could care less about CFW.
2nd price drop was years ago... Unless you talking about PS4 then I'll wait 4 to 5 yrs for price drop just like I did with PS3 uncharted 3 bundle that I bought last week.

Sony can add new stuff to PS3 to make it better and PS4 is not needed. I wonder if next xbox will play blu ray. Wiiu Plays blu ray games NOT blu ray or dvd movies though.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Dec 2011 @ 15:29

141.12.2011 16:15

Not sure I'll ever buy another console again if the 360 & ps3 are anything to go by i expected far better,neither delivered,reason i say that is i was expecting the same jump from gaming on a p2s then gaming on the xbox 180 (well if it's going by numbers the original is a 180 :p)the difference was extremely noticeable however going from xbox 1 to 360 or ps3 not so much,i dunno maybe i'm being to harsh,anyway this is the first time i've really gamed on a pc only because the 360 controller can be used instead of kb & mouse,the difference is bloody staggering gaming wise & all i have is an 09 dell755 optiplex,not the most top of the range pc & it's graphics card only just manages to run farcry 2 yet i'm left like holy shit!


152.12.2011 11:53

Well, sony never retired the ps2 and never made the back-compatibility for the ps3 (after they killed it off). I suspect they will never kill off the ps3.

162.12.2011 17:16
llongtheD
Inactive

Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Not sure I'll ever buy another console again if the 360 & ps3 are anything to go by i expected far better,neither delivered,reason i say that is i was expecting the same jump from gaming on a p2s then gaming on the xbox 180 (well if it's going by numbers the original is a 180 :p)the difference was extremely noticeable however going from xbox 1 to 360 or ps3 not so much,i dunno maybe i'm being to harsh,anyway this is the first time i've really gamed on a pc only because the 360 controller can be used instead of kb & mouse,the difference is bloody staggering gaming wise & all i have is an 09 dell755 optiplex,not the most top of the range pc & it's graphics card only just manages to run farcry 2 yet i'm left like holy shit!
Wow Scorp, you must be a console guy using the 360 controller on the pc for a shooter. I don't game much anymore but when I did, I thought the kb/mouse was far superior to a console controller. Either way, I'll wait and see on these new consoles.

172.12.2011 19:59

Originally posted by llongtheD:
Originally posted by scorpNZ:
Not sure I'll ever buy another console again if the 360 & ps3 are anything to go by i expected far better,neither delivered,reason i say that is i was expecting the same jump from gaming on a p2s then gaming on the xbox 180 (well if it's going by numbers the original is a 180 :p)the difference was extremely noticeable however going from xbox 1 to 360 or ps3 not so much,i dunno maybe i'm being to harsh,anyway this is the first time i've really gamed on a pc only because the 360 controller can be used instead of kb & mouse,the difference is bloody staggering gaming wise & all i have is an 09 dell755 optiplex,not the most top of the range pc & it's graphics card only just manages to run farcry 2 yet i'm left like holy shit!
Wow Scorp, you must be a console guy using the 360 controller on the pc for a shooter. I don't game much anymore but when I did, I thought the kb/mouse was far superior to a console controller. Either way, I'll wait and see on these new consoles.
LOL..couldn't use a keyboard n' mouse to save myself,been like that since way back when i was in my 20's on an amstrad pc,it was easier to use a joystick even back then

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive