AfterDawn: Tech news

Germany bans Dead Island

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 30 Nov 2011 11:53 User comments (12)

Germany bans Dead Island Germany takes its time banning Zombie title.
Dead Island was released in early September, but it's only now that Germany has decided that the game is too violent. The Federal Department of Media Harmful to Young Persons (translated, obviously..) has made the decision to pull the game and the developers are not surprised.

"This isn't unexpected," Techland told Eurogamer. "Germany has its unique regulations regarding video games and violence and the industry can only comply. Both Deep Silver and Techland were aware of such a possibility from the very beginning."

The organization put the title on "List B", which is reserved for media that features content depicting "extreme torture or Nazism."

Previous Next

Related news

 

12 user comments

130.11.2011 22:02

So the country banned it because it's to violent! Like that will stop someone from smuggling it in and distributing it. More dumb nanny state interference with peoples lives.

230.11.2011 23:25

Quote:
The organization put the title on "List B", which is reserved for media that features content depicting "extreme torture or Nazism."
Funny...I always thought Nazism was when you banned things because you don't like the content.


330.11.2011 23:37

Quote:
Funny...I always thought Nazism was when you banned things because you don't like the content.
Technically is, but I wouldn't want to say that in a german court.

41.12.2011 1:06

Originally posted by Mysttic:
Quote:
Funny...I always thought Nazism was when you banned things because you don't like the content.
Technically is, but I wouldn't want to say that in a german court.
I would love to say that in a German court...I wouldn't like the resulting life sentence, but I would love to call the fascist bastard of a judge a Nazi.


51.12.2011 2:49

Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you all.


ZX Spectrum 128K

61.12.2011 9:16

Quote:
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you all.
You so need to play TOR.

Quote:
I would love to say that in a German court...I wouldn't like the resulting life sentence, but I would love to call the fascist bastard of a judge a Nazi.
That made my morning, I nearly choked laughing so hard.

71.12.2011 12:51

The damned games are rated!!! What do they do over there? Take the ratings off the cover & let your favorite deity be your guide? I r e a l l y don't see how some people make it out of the birth canal breathing... I just don't...


81.12.2011 15:17

PS3 is region free anyway so they can order the game online if they wanted to and I bet there's no update to block the game from playing.

I wonder if MK9 is banned as well.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 01 Dec 2011 @ 15:19

92.12.2011 0:52

Originally posted by xaznboitx:
PS3 is region free anyway so they can order the game online if they wanted to and I bet there's no update to block the game from playing.

I wonder if MK9 is banned as well.
Do any of the other versions come in German?


105.12.2011 10:04

oh well poor German people can play an 18 rated video game, any other news ? like they have imposed a speed limit on the autobahn.
I'm off to smash some zombie heads with my shock baton and I'll be thinking of Germany

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Dec 2011 @ 10:04

1110.2.2012 7:18

Originally posted by Semperfipal:
So the country banned it because it's to violent! Like that will stop someone from smuggling it in and distributing it. More dumb nanny state interference with peoples lives.
You do not have to smuggle it in. It is only banned from being sold in Germany. Possession and playing of the game is very legal. One can also order it online, as I did 2 days ago, from a number of companies based in other countries such as Austria and England.

1210.2.2012 7:21

Originally posted by KillerBug:
Originally posted by xaznboitx:
PS3 is region free anyway so they can order the game online if they wanted to and I bet theres no update to block the game from playing.

I wonder if MK9 is banned as well.
Do any of the other versions come in German?
It is only banned from being sold inside of Germany, playing and owning it is still legal. You can order it from Austria, as I did. Austrians also speak German, so there are no language problems.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest user comments

News archive