AfterDawn: Tech news

Google to unveil new Nexus smartphone on October 29th

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 17 Oct 2012 20:39 User comments (7)

Google to unveil new Nexus smartphone on October 29th Google has just sent out a press event invite in which they will likely unveil either the next version of Android or the next Nexus hardware.
Most rumors have the new Nexus device coming from LG. The phone will be based on the LG Optimus G, and include high-end specs.

Under the hood, the device will feature a quad-core Snapdragon S4, 2GB RAM and a large 4.7-inch display with 1280 x 768 display.

One question that remains is whether the phone will introduce a new Google operating system despite the fact that Jelly Bean is on less than 2 percent of all Android devices, currently. Most screenshots reveal the OS will be 4.1.2, a minor update to Jelly Bean, which makes the most sense but Google could come out swinging with a new updated OS and the hardware.



Previous Next  

7 user comments

118.10.2012 1:17

Gonna have to hold out for the HTC mega celly...

This is nice but I was really hoping the next Nexus would be by HTC :(

218.10.2012 8:11

Until a few months ago I was working in tech support for a major cell phone company, and I can tell you that LG phones suck.

Why Google would go with them is beyond me.

319.10.2012 8:09

Originally posted by bdaleypsu:
Until a few months ago I was working in tech support for a major cell phone company, and I can tell you that LG phones suck.

+1
i have used a touchscreen (not a smart phone) from LG, and i would say it sucked.

ASUS G73JW | Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB | OCZ 120GB SSD + Seagate 500GB Hybrid 7200rpm | 17.3" FHD/3D | Blu-ray Write | Win7Pro64

421.10.2012 11:45

OK, color me stupid, but is that an iphone on the right in the top most picture? Now if there were ever a reason for Apple to be suing the shit out of somebody for copying a phone, THERE would be the reason. I.e., my dumb ass couldn't tell the immediate difference.

Yet CrApple beats up Samsung over a phone I damn sure could tell the difference from. As Louis Wu said, "TANJ! There Ain't No Justice..."

Anyway, I haven't owned an LG phone so I'm on the fence as to the longevity of Google's offering here. Much less as to whether their OS is going to cut it or not. However, I'm definitely interested in seeing it work.


521.10.2012 22:57

Originally posted by LordRuss:
OK, color me stupid, but is that an iphone on the right in the top most picture? Now if there were ever a reason for Apple to be suing the shit out of somebody for copying a phone, THERE would be the reason. I.e., my dumb ass couldn't tell the immediate difference.

Yet CrApple beats up Samsung over a phone I damn sure could tell the difference from. As Louis Wu said, "TANJ! There Ain't No Justice..."

Anyway, I haven't owned an LG phone so I'm on the fence as to the longevity of Google's offering here. Much less as to whether their OS is going to cut it or not. However, I'm definitely interested in seeing it work.
I wonder if we are looking at the same picture ! The one on the left has curved top and bottom + 3 buttons at the bottom in stead of 1. A very distinctive difference I would say.

621.10.2012 23:04

They're both rectangle and have a touchscreen. Which there is really no other way to have a touchscreen phone.

Other than that - c'mon.

728.10.2012 13:42

Originally posted by pmshah:
I wonder if we are looking at the same picture ! The one on the left has curved top and bottom + 3 buttons at the bottom in stead of 1. A very distinctive difference I would say.
Like I said, I must have been daft, but the phone on the RIGHT

NOT THE LEFT - the phone on the RIGHT - looks like an iphone 5, running Google, whatever...

That's why I'm scratching my head trying not to displace what little hair I have left from falling out.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive