Microsoft begins migrating users away from Hotmail and towards Outlook

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 19 Feb 2013 10:44 User comments (6)

Microsoft begins migrating users away from Hotmail and towards Outlook Earlier this week, Microsoft announced that its new web-based email service Outlook had moved out of beta.
The service will replace Hotmail/Live, and the company has begun migrating users away from its existing services.

Preview versions of Outlook.com went up six months ago and it appears that Microsoft has done sufficient testing.

Microsoft will look to steal users back from Google's Gmail, and Microsoft's director of product management Dharmesh Mehta says the transition will make Outlook one of the largest free email services in the world. "It's a pretty massive bet we've made that Outlook.com is a great choice," Mehta added.

All Hotmail settings, contacts and messages will make the transition and you can continue to use your existing email addresses.

Get started at Outlook.com now.

More news

Related news

119.2.2013 11:24

I switched over to outlook.com for about 5 minutes. That is the five minutes too long. It is flashier - literally they have all these adds that flash at you but add zero new functionality. Epic fail Microsoft!

219.2.2013 20:18

Originally posted by yellowsub:
Funny, I see no "flashy" ads in my Outlook.com. There are ads over on the right side that if I hover over them an image appears related to that ad, but other than that I see no ads popping at me and the ads are not intrusive.

As far as functionality goes I like the clean simple layout and if they would add IMAP support I would use it for my primary mail portal.

AMD Phenom II 965 @ 3.67Ghz, 8GB DDR3, ATI Radeon 5770HD, 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2TB Additional HDD, Windows 7 Ultimate.

319.2.2013 23:31

no ads in mine either.like the cloud as well.no complaints here.

420.2.2013 20:39

Who even uses Hotmail anymore, anyways? I quit using Hotmail due to the amount of spam I would receive on there. I've been using Gmail for the past few years.

522.2.2013 15:45

I've been using Hotmail for 17 years and have had no problems

whatsoever.

I get about 1 email per month of spam. Just hoping Mickeysoft

doesn't screw things up with Outlook Live!

623.2.2013 18:25

I still prefer to run my own email client rather than use web based email. I have ported it to a Gmail account so if I'm away from my home computer or out of town, I can still access my email. I just LOVE my Eudora 7.1.0.9 way too much to ever rely solely on web email except for throw-away accounts.