Android 4.1 or higher now on 25 percent of devices

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 03 Apr 2013 19:51 User comments (4)

Android 4.1 or higher now on 25 percent of devices Google has released their early April OS version share update, and Android 4.x saw a nice boost from earlier in the year.
Jelly Bean, versions 4.1.x and 4.2.x, are now on 25 percent of all Android devices, jumping from 16.5 percent last month.

Gingerbread (version 2.3.x), is still on 39.8 percent of devices, followed by Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0.x) on 29.3 percent and all other versions combining for 6 percent.

The Android Devs say the huge jump was most likely due to a new method of calculating the figures. The numbers were formerly pulled from devices that checked into Google servers but now (and moving forward) will be calculated by visits to the Google Play Store.

Reads the post: "The new device dashboards are based on the devices of users who visit the Google Play Store (rather than devices that have checked-in to Google servers). As a result, the dashboards more accurately reflect the users most engaged in the Android and Google Play ecosystem--and thus most likely to download and use your apps."

14.4.2013 14:56

here is my read on this data. 25% of android devices in use are now crippled devices that cannot properly navigate the web, requiring more paid for type apps or other purchases now required to have any sort of reasonable experience on the web. In essence, they have worked hard to change their open structure because they see how much money crapple made with their closed ecosystem, and they want to tap into a similar revenue stream. Unfortunately that means a colosal step back in functionality for the end user. I assume the next step is getting rid of those pesky SD card slots so we can't just slip in our own media, and hell, why not require a Google sync feature to further edited by ddp us all over. Gandroid, you edited by ddp for pulling flash while it is still the predominate source of video on the web. Jelly bean is absolute edited by ddp, you can't compete with crapple by being just as shitty, especially when you already showed us how good ICS can be. What the edited by ddp happened, you turned into greedy edited by ddp with the ol' bat n' switch scam. Now I'm back to my old laptop with xp just to watch a video clip, damn you guys really screwed the pooch on this one

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 06 Apr 2013 @ 18:20

25.4.2013 17:55

Originally posted by seths:
Please explain

36.4.2013 18:21

posts edited due to language.

49.4.2013 0:56

Originally posted by seths:
Are you making these comments from 1st hand experience or just quoting someone's rants? Freeware version of Firefox is available on Android 4.x.x. Even if they were to remove the SD card slot facility most new devices include USB on the Go capability so external media can still be used. I am still on a gingerbread device and really wish I could get rid of YouTube some kind of way.

BTW I need to use the phone for one thing only and that is communicate. Audio (standard phone + Viber + skype), texting (standard, WhatsApp, Viber) and email - Gmail. All this capability through wifi as default. For everything else (internet related) I have my desktops. Will shortly be getting the latest Samsung Galaxy Grand which will also allow me video chats through Skype as well as watching video on long train journeys. Apart from this it also supports dual GSM sims so can give away my BB to my wife.

I feel sorry for you if you have to use a mobile device for browsing the net.