Five year old hacks Xbox One account, gets reward from Microsoft

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 04 Apr 2014 12:09 User comments (5)

Five year old hacks Xbox One account, gets reward from Microsoft Microsoft has thanked a five year old boy for discovering a flaw in its Xbox One system that allowed him to log into his Dad's account without a password.
Kristoffer Von Hassel, from San Diego, discovered a way to get into his father's account and play games he wasn't supposed to. When his Dad noticed, his career in computer security took precedent over any displeasure over his account being hacked, and he asked his son to explain to him how he was doing it.
It turns out that Kristoffer noticed that after entering an incorrect password for his father's account, he would be prompted with a password verification screen. Then by using the on-screen space bar to fill up the password field, he could trick the system into signing him into Dad's account.

"How awesome is that!" the boy's father, Robert Davies, said. "Just being 5 years old and being able to find a vulnerability and latch onto that. I thought that was pretty cool."

This wasn't the first time that his son managed to figure out ways around digital locks either - at the age of just 1, he figured out that he could get around the lock screen on a cell phone by just holding down the Home key for a while.

Microsoft has since fixed the embarrassing login flaw, and acknowledged the five year old on its page of researchers who have discovered and reported flaws in Microsoft products.

The company awarded the boy with four free games, a year's free Xbox Live subscription and $50.

Good job kid!

Source and Recommended Reading
5-year-old Ocean Beach boy exposes Microsoft Xbox vulnerability: www.10news.com

Tags: Xbox One

More news

Related news

14.4.2014 12:14

Great job lol. These kids these days will try anything to get their game on.

24.4.2014 12:34

I'm always unsure if these stories are just the parent crediting the kid, but it seems believable and pretty amazing if it's real.

34.4.2014 13:54

I believe this. When I was 6 or 7 I got around the windows login at my school by hitting cancel over and over again. Eventually it would just open up Administrator... I never knew what it meant I was just too lazy to type in my username and password.
The story never says he used programs or programming or anything like that so I believe the story as true.

Carpe Noctem

44.4.2014 13:57

Originally posted by flyingpen:

Ah ye I believe the story too.. kids are naturally curious, filling up a password bar with spaces is something I can imagine a child doing lol :-)

54.4.2014 15:44

Although I would hardly call it hacking; it's still nice of MS to throw the rewards his way.