AfterDawn: Tech news

Samsung Galaxy S8 press image leaked

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 01 Mar 2017 11:18 User comments (7)

Samsung Galaxy S8 press image leaked Samsung's hotly anticipated Galaxy S8 smartphone will be unveiled at the end of the month, but we can already see what it looks like.
Leaked by Evan Blass (@evleaks), a press shot of the Samsung Galaxy S8 shows its curved, edge-to-edge display that has been detailed in previous leaks, and you also immediately notice the absence of the Home button.

The image just shows the lock screen of the Galaxy S8, but do take notice of the mention of the date Wed, March 29, which is when Samsung says it will officially unveil the SG8.

Other noticeable details are an additional key on the left, which is expected to be a shortcut key to launch Bixby, Samsung's assistant. There is also an Iris Scanner sensor on the front, and an indentation at the bottom seems to be from a 3.5mm headphone jack.

Surely more details will flood out in leaks before March 29.


Previous Next  

7 user comments

11.3.2017 13:46

Just anothe P.O.S. Samsung product!

Another duplicate of the previous model (for the most part) as it looks virtually identical to the S7.

Curved screen on a cell is a gimmick. Most people don't like it and/or appreciate it one iota.

Everything on this is the same with some minor exceptions. Those exceptions will likely NOT make this phone any more futuristic than it already ISN'T. Those minor exceptions likely will NOT make this phone last significantly longer than the 2 year mark. This phone will NOT revolutionize cellular in any way.


This is is an excuse for people to ditch the 800 dollar S7 that they STILL OWE MONEY ON and upgrade to this P.O.S. and continue owing money on it for years to come..........of course PLUS the extra 25/month to your bills FOREVER to cover the cost of the "upgrade path". LAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21.3.2017 23:17

It does look like they are reaching...and the wrong way. The headphone jack on the bottom is one of the most annoying things about apple products (until they forced people to use USB on the bottom of course). I wonder if Apple will sue; it isn't like rounded corners where it is just logical...there is no reason to put the headphone jack there unless you are copying Apple.

Almost everyone with a curved screen seems to hate it...what with it being cracked and all.

An extra button for an off-brand assistant sounds like yet another annoying "pocket dial" issue.

And to top it off they removed the home button...even with a CFW adding what is almost a home button to my phone I'd still prefer a real one. Of course my phone was $150 and came with a $100 gift card, the rooting instructions were on the manufacturer website, it's water resistant, and it can go three days on a charge...so I would expect a lot out of a phone that costs 16 times more...like a teleporter or a device to turn lead into gold.

32.3.2017 10:42

Originally posted by KillerBug:
It does look like they are reaching...and the wrong way. The headphone jack on the bottom is one of the most annoying things about apple products (until they forced people to use USB on the bottom of course). I wonder if Apple will sue; it isn't like rounded corners where it is just logical...there is no reason to put the headphone jack there unless you are copying Apple.

Almost everyone with a curved screen seems to hate it...what with it being cracked and all.

An extra button for an off-brand assistant sounds like yet another annoying "pocket dial" issue.

And to top it off they removed the home button...even with a CFW adding what is almost a home button to my phone I'd still prefer a real one. Of course my phone was $150 and came with a $100 gift card, the rooting instructions were on the manufacturer website, it's water resistant, and it can go three days on a charge...so I would expect a lot out of a phone that costs 16 times more...like a teleporter or a device to turn lead into gold.


HA!

This just made my day! :)

LMAO here at work!!! "Teleporter".............HILARIOUS! I rather agree!

XD
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 02 Mar 2017 @ 10:43

42.3.2017 14:26

Originally posted by hearme0:
Just anothe P.O.S. Samsung product!

If people have money to burn in buying a lame iPhone upgrade, they'll have money for this upgrade, too. The difference is that only Samsung will offer some features that a mobile phone user may feel happy with.

ASUS G73JW | Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB | OCZ 120GB SSD + Seagate 500GB Hybrid 7200rpm | 17.3" FHD/3D | Blu-ray Write | Win7Pro64

53.3.2017 9:01

Originally posted by mukhis:
Originally posted by hearme0:
Just anothe P.O.S. Samsung product!

If people have money to burn in buying a lame iPhone upgrade, they'll have money for this upgrade, too. The difference is that only Samsung will offer some features that a mobile phone user may feel happy with.
Of course if someone has the money to buy a new iPhone they have the money to buy a new Samsung...but that doesn't make it a good buy either way. The Android ecosystem is pretty large and there are a lot of great phones in it that are arguably better than the S8 just based on what we know about Samsung. We already know it will be full of more bloatware than ever because that's just what Samsung does with every new model.

Seriously...it isn't like people are playing AAA games, doing 4K video editing, etc...they are phones. Most people never play any game that couldn't have run on a 486. The hardest things most smart phones have to do is to load poorly written websites and play videos and the original moto droid could do that. For most people the only legitimate reason to upgrade is if their old phone is damaged (or if they want to get away from Apple/Samsung BS to a nice clean android distro).

64.3.2017 17:33

I agree that the curved screen is the worst thing since sliced bread. The screen protector on my Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge allows dust to get under the protector. An engineering nightmare. What is Samsung thinking?

74.3.2017 17:53

Originally posted by KillerBug:
or if they want to get away from Apple/Samsung BS to a nice clean android distro

Would be possible if Google could be more serious about their own hardware. Nexus or Pixel feels nice except that it doesn't have some must-have features that the other Android vendors have already covered. I wish a "clean install" would be possible in the Android phones without rooting or whatever.

ASUS G73JW | Intel Core i7-740QM, 1.73GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GeForce GTX 460M, 1.5GB | OCZ 120GB SSD + Seagate 500GB Hybrid 7200rpm | 17.3" FHD/3D | Blu-ray Write | Win7Pro64

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive