Version history for Scribus
Changes for v1.4.5 - v1.5.0 test
- After many years of work and more than a thousand bugfixes and feature implementations, the Scribus Team is pleased to announce the release of Scribus 1.5.0. Scribus 1.5.0 is a preview of the next stable version 1.6.0 and has primarily been released for testing purposes, so more users can help us with identifying and fixing bugs. It is not stable enough for use in real production scenarios yet, but it can help users to become familiar with the new interface and the amount of new features, the number of which has almost doubled in comparison to the stable 1.4.x series.
- Most Important Technical Changes
- Scribus 1.5.0 uses Qt 5 as its UI toolkit. The minimum version to compile Scribus from source is Qt 5.4.
- The file format has undergone significant changes and may change even further before the release of 1.6.0. Thus, files created or edited in 1.5.0 cannot be opened in earlier versions of Scribus. Potential changes to the file format on the road to 1.6.0 notwithstanding, the Scribus Team will work very hard to make sure that files created by 1.5.0 and the following technology previews can be opened reliably in the next stable release.
- Unfortunately we cannot offer GraphicsMagick and Open Scene Graph support for all platforms yet, whereas on Linux (and probably *BSD), GM and and OSG have become new dependencies.
- Scribus will detect an installed version of UniConvertor and use it to import some of the vector formats supported by this program into Scribus.
- Most Important New Features
- The user interface has been overhauled and restructured in many places. For example, the context menu takes a lot less screen estate than before, and the Document Setup / Preferences dialog has been rewritten from scratch. The Scribus Team is aware of the remaining deficiencies and will work on resolving these issues before the release of 1.6.0. In some cases inconsistencies in the UI (e.g. the "Drop Shadow" tab in the Properties Palette) have been deliberately left in place to receive feedback from users as to which way they prefer.
- Scribus can now store bitmap images within its native file format. Previously it was only possible to link to external images.
- Scribus 1.5.0 now offers a "Symbol" or clone feature similar to Adobe Illustrator: If one master object (Symbol) has been modified, all of its copies (clones) are being modified as well.
- With the new "Weld" feature, objects can be combined and moved without being "grouped", i.e., each object remains fully editable.
Changes for v1.4.5 - v1.4.6
- Scribus 1.4.6 finally supports SVG blend modes.
- Improvements to Scribus’s PDF export.
- Improvements to hyphenation.
- Translation and documentation updates.
- As of version 1.4.6, Scribus includes four new color palettes, namely CIE LAB and CIE HLC, both of which are available in a CMYK and an sRGB version. They refer to affordable color fans that use an open and non-proprietary color model.
Changes for v1.4.1 - v1.4.2
- New spellchecker based on Hunspell
- 64-bit versions available for Windows Vista, 7 and 8
- Documentation updates (including translations)
- Updated UI translations
- A security update for the Python Scripter (Windows)
- Fixes to issues with file locations and file names (Windows)
- Fixes and an enhancement to the Scripter
- Additional build options
- Major and minor bugfixes, ranging from crashes in some corner cases to usability improvements
Changes for v1.4.0 - v1.4.1
- *Addition of the GiveLife Color System(R) swatch palettes (www.givelifecolorsystem.com), license in the swatches directory.
- * Updates to resolve small canvas interaction issues
- * Corrections to both bitmap and SVG image import issues
- * Addition of undo steps for path operations and page moving
- * Corrections to some master page behaviour
- * Fixes for text editing issues
- * Enhancements to scripter
- * Translation updates
- * The Italian version of the help documents has been updated significantly
- * Relocation of profiles and swatches to the share directory of Unix-like systems (linux, OS X, etc) to fit in with the file system recommendations
Changes for 188.8.131.52 - v1.4.0 RC 2
- Newer Scribus version can open the older version's file, but the opposite is not true. Stable Scribus 184.108.40.206 cannot open developmental Scribus 1.4.0 files. There is no way to convert the file back once you switch it to the newer branch. However, you can run both branches in parallel to test the new functionality.