When Nullsoft released version 3.0, not everyone was happy. Many considered 3.0 a step backwards: bigger, slower and more bugs. But Nullsoft is still developing the 2.x generation and here is the new 2.9 public beta version.
What's new: -----------
* added integrated full featured video support (NSV and DirectShow (AVI,ASf,MPEG,etc))
* added library (complete with media database, shoutcast listing, playlist editing,
CD listing, mass tag editting, plugin API for portable devices, and more!)
* updated Winamp's window docking code to be more robust/extensible
- made AVS dock use this new API
* updated PCM equalizer with code from 4Front Technologies/George Yohng. Quality is a lot better.
* updated equalizer default skin to show the true +12db/-12db range (the 20db was a veeery old typo)
* a ton of new WM_WA_IPC API calls.
- general purpose plugin window support
- extended metadata system for getting more than just title/length of items.
- lots of exposed features via IPC
* updated to PP's latest input and output plugins
* focus/Z order change on window close related bugfixes
* added track numbers and song lengths in HTML generated playlists
* removed all ATL code, shoved EXE size by 20kb
* added digital audio extraction in in_cdda.dll
(needs WNASPI32.DLL under Windows 9x/ME)
* added Alt+M shortcut for minimizing Winamp
* added Ctrl+(Keypad +)/Ctrl+(Keypad -) shortcuts in playlist editor for changing font size
* fixed stop after current menu item trash related bug
* added ultravox support for in_mp3
* made in_mp3 not display 'unknown X' for empty id3 tags
* fixed & error in tooltips in winamp and winampa's systray icons
* and more!
* new SDKs will be posted soon.
* the minibrowser page says "upgrade". =)
* running a fullscreen visualization plugin when playing video (or vice versa) can be bad
(i.e. cause Winamp to quit). This appears to be a directdraw issue, we'll figure out why.
* new extended skin format may change for 2.90, so don't distribute new skins too widely.
* some AVI/MPEG/ASF/etc videos may be flipped, due to directshow weirdness. We will work to correct this as much as possible.
* Some MPEG2 video decompressors (latest PowerDVD one apparently) may have issues with playback.
* Many more configuration options and fixes should be added in the 2.90 to 2.9x land. Enjoy.
Discuss, report bugs