Schools challenge the RIAA subpoenas

Written by Petteri Pyyny (Google+) @ 23 Jul 2003 15:48 User comments (8)

Group of American universities and colleges have decided to oppose the way RIAA is trying to get their P2P-using students' identities revealed by using the DMCA law's subpoena clause.
Schools, that include MIT and Boston College, refuse to reveal their students' personal details to RIAA because according to them, federal law states that schools can't reveal their students' personal details without giving a "reasonable notice period" to the students' themselves.

"We are opposing the subpoenas, not in an effort to protect students from the consequences of copyright infringement, but rather to establish the proper procedures to be followed in the future," Boston College's director of public affairs, Jack Dunn, said.

Source: Wired

124.7.2003 5:32

See, schools actually teach you something useful: Fuck the RIAA! I hope my mother paid the full pupil insurance fee...

Everyone is entitled to their own true opinion. Either respect that or don't.

224.7.2003 6:33

Must be nice to have mommy pay for college

Don't ask a question that has been asked a million times already don't be lazy all the info you need is here: http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/

Pioneer DVD-+RW DL
Xbox and 360
PS2- DMS3
Over 250 Movies so far to know what I got PM me.
Dish Network Fully Open

324.7.2003 7:27

Tech TV got a list of usernames being sued by RIAA. http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3484600,00.html

424.7.2003 8:17

carlitob, I'm not actually in college lol. I was just making a humourous reference. And I will probably HAVE to fund myself for College..... T.T

Everyone is entitled to their own true opinion. Either respect that or don't.

524.7.2003 9:22

that is kinda funny, I'm paying my way through college right now. Thats y the comment.

Pioneer DVD-+RW DL
Xbox and 360
PS2- DMS3
Over 250 Movies so far to know what I got PM me.
Dish Network Fully Open

624.7.2003 14:47

Thank you MIT, Boston College, and the other schools that are standing up to the outrageous harassment tactics of the RIAA. Hey (RIAA) fellas, these are your CUSTOMERS you are pissing off! If you think your sales are down now keep alienating more and more of the music buying public and THEN see how your bottom line looks! Believe it or not, most P2P users also purchase music. Just because someone has 1600 mp3s on their drive does not mean you lost the sales of 100 CDs. Perhaps things do need to change some, but acting like a bunch of money grubbing cyber-Nazis is not the answer. Treebeard-thanks for the link. Good info to have.

We mustn't lower ourselves to the level of those we loathe, lest we become loathsome ourselves.

724.7.2003 18:41

Well said, GrayArea. Not that I live in the US (I'm from Australia) but the RIAA sound like a bunch of psychos. I think it's going to be a very interesting next few years, to see how this all pans out.

825.7.2003 13:52

brettussd, they are NOT psychos, they are a bunch of greedy fuckers, who are hypocrites, cuz they don't sue their own P2P using children!

Everyone is entitled to their own true opinion. Either respect that or don't.