DivX 6 released

Written by Petteri Pyyny (Google+) @ 15 Jun 2005 12:38 User comments (41)

DivX 6 released DivX, Inc. (formerly known as DivXNetworks) released today a new major version of their video compression technology, DivX. The new version, DivX v6.0, introduces several new features and also changes quite dramatically the way how their software is being packaged as well.
First of all, the old "DivX Free" and "DivX Pro" split is still sorta there, but now you can't get the DivX by itself anymore. Now the codec comes with two different bundles. First bundle is the most important one for those who are interested of watching DivX movies -- DivX Play Bundle. This package includes:
  • free version of DivX v6.0 codec (the one that doesn't have all the neat "next generation" encoding options available for those who are interested of making their own DivX movies)
  • DivX Player -- company's own video player
  • DivX Media File playback support -- support for DivX's new container format that allows storing menus, subtitles, alternate audio tracks, etc to a single video container file.
Second bundle is called DivX Create Bundle and it contains these elements:
  • DivX Pro v6.0 codec (the one that does support all the neat encoding options..)
  • DivX Converter -- DivX's replacement to their old Dr.DivX, basically a software that eases the DivX encoding process
  • DivX Player -- see above
As you probably spotted, DivX has introduced their own container format that aims to replace AVI as the main DivX holder. Unsurprisingly, their file extension for the DivX Media Format will be .divx. The DivX Media Format supports creation of menu structures within the container, several audio tracks, subtitles, chapters and tags (does this sound somewhat familiar?).

DivX 6 also support HD resolutions and it is highly likely that we'll see "DivX Certified" HD-capable playback devices in near future. Additionally, the support for Windows 98 and Windows ME has been dropped completely. Users of these operating systems need to use DivX v5.2.1 instead. Mac users also need to wait until the DivX 6 for Mac is released -- release date is not set yet for Mac version.

The changelog for the DivX 6.0 codec itself:
  • Support for the DivX Media Format is enabled in third-party media players. In this first rev of our DivX Media Format filters we have tested against Windows Media Player 6.4 through 10. "What the *&#!?" I hear you cry. We have also begun development for several other popular players, but many of these are not directly compatible with our filters yet. Better support in other players will follow as we release the DivX 6 SDK. If you are a developer please get in touch so we can hook you up with what you need.
  • When you play DivX media files you should see a DivX toolbar icon popping up in your system tray where it is possible to select audio tracks, subtitles, chapter points, video tags, and change playback settings. From the toolbar you can also access the DivX Menu Navigator control. The DivX Menu Navigator makes it possible to use both mouse and key control for navigation in most players.
  • The DivX 6 decoder includes enhanced post-processing that is both optimized for PSNR and faster than that of the DivX 5 decoder.
  • We've redesigned the DivX codec encoder interface to better group related items and enable easier navigation. Gone are the popup wizard dialogs of yesteryear! The encoder window also has smaller dimensions, which will be a real boost for those of you still crazy enough to be running at 800x600 Wink
  • The encoding mode breakdown has been reworked to include modes ranging from Fastest through Insane quality to better balance encoding rate versus video quality. Most modes feature rate-distortion optimization and visible quality differentiation.
  • We have added Extreme and Insane quality modes to the encoder. Extreme quality will give you production quality video, but for those who always want the absolute best, Insane mode enables all the internal bells and whistles to guarantee the maximum video quality.
  • DivX codec now includes PSNR optimized H.263 quantization for superior retention of detail when compressing the picture.
  • 4MV search is enabled in Portable, Home Theater, High Definition and Unconstrained profiles, allowing for better quality at lower resolutions, improved sharpness and reduced ringing artifacts.
  • Multiple consecutive bi-directional coding is enabled in High Definition profile. All bi-directional coding now uses the packed schema. Up to two consecutive B-VOPs are enabled in High Definition profile, and up to three are enabled in Unconstrained profile.
  • The VBV for Portable profile has been changed to take advantage of real-world DivX Certified portable devices enabling higher video quality. Video created under Portable profile in DivX 5 codec is fully compatible with the new VBV model.
  • The Encoder Feedback Window now includes a Lite version that consumes less space on the desktop and allows you to monitor progress during encoding. It's possible to switch between the Lite version and the full Feedback Window, and from the Feedback Window Lite you can set the process priority incase you want to do some other work while encoding. The Feedback Windows does introduce some impact on encoding rate, and we will be addressing this in future.
As always, you can download all the versions from our site:

DivX Play Bundle v6.0
DivX Create Bundle v6.0

More information: DivX.com

115.6.2005 13:19

As Always DivX The number 1 codec bundle system Keep up the good work and no one will come close

215.6.2005 15:19
4nt1

hmm personally i prefer free codecs ie like xvid :)

315.6.2005 15:56

personally i prefer free codecs ie like xvid
Amen, brother :^) I used DivX for years, but XviD works great. The DivX guys want their own container!? (Doesn't sound good.) We need more standardization, not differentiation and proprietary standards... DivX-certified standalone DVD player types hate XviD though, I suspect, because their AVIs will not always play. This preference for DivX is simply their need for standardization and guaranteed compatibility - the knowledge that their AVI will play. The DivX guys are smart though, and they don't want XviD AVIs playing on DivX-certified standalones...? Can't blame them I s'pose (they are trying to sell their proprietary codec for $$) but WTF, we need AVI compatibility not a new proprietary container. Just my $.02

415.6.2005 16:21

Yeah i've always been partial towards xvid too. And as for the whole .divx container, that's not even cool. That just makes things that don't have to be, more complicated.

515.6.2005 17:10

Guys, we completely understand your viewpoint, but just a couple things to consider. We do not, in any way, see XVID as a competitor or the enemy! We love XVID and have very good relationships with it's developers. In fact, we are working with them to make sure that video files encoded in XVID can be placed within the .divx container format. As to why a new format? Basically, our main focus right now is DivX-Certified devices. By creating the new format, we can give users the features they have requested (menus, subtitles, etc.), in a coherent way, while maintaining backwards compatiblity for the main video stream. It's a compromise, of course, but it's the best one we could come up with at this time. If you have feedback, post it! We'll be reading it, that's for sure! -Kosmonautbruce

615.6.2005 19:31

i hope somebody gets it going on the xbox. i dont feel like buying a new player. sounds cool though. i usauly use xvid on my captures, convert mpeg2 to xvid.

715.6.2005 19:36

I've got a Philips DVP642 which has always been pretty trusty with DivX files, a bit less so with Xvid ones. Will a new firmware upgrade be required to play DivX 6 encoded files and/or .divx container files?

815.6.2005 20:21

I don't have an answer on the Xbox issue, but on the Philips player, it depends on Philips whether or not they release a firmware upgrade to enable DivX Media Format features. We are, of course, actively working with them to see if it's possible. Of course, any DivX 6 file, even if a .divx file with menus, subtitles, etc. will still play in any DivX certified device. It just won't display the menu. Let me know if I can answer any questions. -Kosmonautbruce

915.6.2005 20:54

Kosmonautbruce, wouldn't Philips have an obligation to upgrade their firmware given that the player is supposedly "DivX Certified"? What would that term mean if it didn't mean full support of whatever DivX codecs/improvements come out? Also, I gather that if one were to get the new DivX Create Bundle that multiple DivX files could somehow be packaged with a decent menu (as opposed to the crappy one that the Philips has, which is virtually the same as an mp3 cd menu) that allows for longer file names, a decent background, etc.? I don't mean converting the DivX files to dvd-video format, I mean within the new container itself. If that's what it does then Philips HAD BETTER update its firmware...otherwise a lot of pissed off customers. Lastly, what is your position with DivX, please? Thanks.

1016.6.2005 1:40

I don't think they have an 'obligation' to provide updates for existing players. I'll bet they will just implement it into the upcoming model. It's not like the new files won't play, you might just be missing the new features. I have a Pioneer 676A and would love to see a firmware upgrade also. I have sent an e-mail to Pioneer questioning this & will post the reply, if I get it:)

1116.6.2005 6:20

I recently ran across the Divx container and have to say it runs just as good or better than the current avi's encoded with Divx. I just dragged and dropped the file in Real Player and it played perfectly. Yes, they want their own container to push things to the next level (menus, HD resolution etc) All great things did not stay the same forever.

1216.6.2005 6:54

Hi Guys, sorry, I should have been clearer, I'm a technical marketing guy with DivX (basically, I try to make sure that what we say to the press and public is correct from a technical/engineering standpoint). At this point, Philips is not obligated to implement firmware upgrades. Obviously, we are strongly encouraging them to do so, but it mostly depends on the specifications of the individual device. Some just don't have the physical ability to be flashed. The more powerful the player, the higher the chance that it will get a firmware upgrade. We expect devices that have been completely tested and certified for the new DivX 6 features to hit the market later this year/early 2006. Hope that helps! -Kosmonautbruce

1316.6.2005 9:50

Thanks, Kosmonautbruce. Well, given the fact that my Philips is a decidedly low-end player aside from its nifty DivX/.avi/.VOB playing ability perhaps I shouldn't hold me breath. On the other hand, can anyone recommend a more fully-featured DivX-certified product that's available in the US? Ideally a carousel unit, though anything which plays regular dvds better than my Philips and doesn't cost $250 would be great. Anyone tried the new Apex AD-1250x? Thanks.

1416.6.2005 10:47

Hopefully a new Ver of Autogk with Divx 6 Support will be released soon...

1517.6.2005 10:20

Duno about the us but if you are in the uk ASDA do a fairly, decent cheap player DUAL 859 picked it up for 35 quid and it plays divx, xvid and everything else i throw at it divx 6 no problems either. its region free out the box and no macrovision either.

1617.6.2005 13:57
diabolos

The philips dvp642 is Divx certified but it only guarantees campatibility with Divx versions 3.11, 4.x, and 5.x! They shouldn't be obligated to ugrade (even though they should anyway). If they do upgrade the dvp's firmware I would be impressed enough to buy philips optical disc players for a long time (cause thier so cool). Ced

1717.6.2005 14:08

There was no Divx 6 at the time the 642 was manufactured so they wouldn't have been any support for anything but ver 3 -5 depending on how popular 6 becomes I'm sure they'll upgrade some firm ware for it... has anyone tried to see what happens when ver 6 is played in it? Just curious if it gives any errors even if the file is an AVI file not a .divx file

1817.6.2005 21:25

I downloaded the create package last night and played around with it for a while. After a few crashes it seemed to settle down. The problem I have , is that when I try playing back the files with mplayer2 and media player classic, the computer tries to connect to the internet. I don't like any program that tries to connect to the internet without at least asking first. I immediately removed Divx_6 and reloaded Divx 5.2.1. Call me paranoid, but I really get upset when programs decide to do things without my input.

1917.6.2005 23:59

i have to agree with dat, i don't like havin sneaks in my computer, don't get me rong (spelling <?>) i'm all for new stuff, supposably better dan de old but i want sometin stable and effective as well, hope they work it out. maybe they should produce a completely free codec which is worth-while. I know that there is a free version of the codec but i gots to say XviD is betta...

2018.6.2005 0:52

huntr, just tell media player to not automatically attempt to search for new codecs on the net.

2118.6.2005 7:48

Hi again, I just wanted to answer one of the questions raised, about why the product contacts the internet. For a detailed answer, see this page: http://forums.divx.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/201101651/m/593109352 The short answer is that the product is looking for two things: 1, if there is a new version available, and 2, if the banner within the product needs updating. Both things can be turned off, and neither sends any private information. I hope that allays fears that anything underhanded is going on. And remember, it can be turned off if that is what you prefer, without affecting the performance of DivX whatsoever. Let me know if you have any more questions. Kosmonautbruce

2218.6.2005 19:19

Windows Media player can have the option of looking for new codecs turned off, but I can't seem to find out how to turn this off in mplayer2 or mplayer_classic, which are different programs. As this point, I'm not certain if it is the player or the little program that Divx_6 loads whenever I start to play a file encoded with v6. Logic tells me that it shouldn't be the player, because as soon as I click cancel on the dial-up window the movie starts, indicating that the codec is already loaded. I couldn't find a way to disable the Divx6 look-up routine (although I will admit I only gave a cursury look)so I just unloaded Divx_6 and went back to ver. 5.2.1. I'll probably reload 6 again and try again. Sorry for any confusion.

2319.6.2005 2:35

i installed DIVX 6 and i get an annoying divx logo on all my videos. how can i get rid of it?

2419.6.2005 9:54

Two things: When something is DivX certified that means there is a standard that most be followed. Not that its supposed to be able to play the latest tweak to a codecs. Ie, No manufacturer should update anything. People should make their streams compatible. Even with Divx5 you could generate non standard encodes (GMC, Quaterpixel and other junk) And second; if a program goes online without the user asking for it, its an amoral program that should be avoided at all costs, regardless of the excuses of "it's only...". Of course Divx are no strangers to this, vitness the old 'must validate via internet stuff' I'm surprised anyone from them are actually posting comments though, it used to be you could wait months for any kind of support.

2520.6.2005 16:19

Lordgov, I apologize if you have received poor support from DivX in the past. We are definitely trying to improve in that area. As to programs connecting to the internet, I certainly understand your suspicion. All of us have had to deal with adware/spyware in the past and it's a serious problem. At the same time, being able to connect to the internet can be a very powerful feature for trusted programs. The only thing I can say is that we are trying to be upfront and let you know what we're doing, and then giving the user absolute control over what happens. And if that is not sufficient for our users, I'm sure we will change in the future to meet the needs of our customers. -Kosmonautbruce

2626.6.2005 0:46

For those interested, if you have a Pioneer divx player, just call your nearest Pioneer warehouse & they will send you a firmware upgrade CD for divx6. Mine should arrive very soon. Can't wait as I wish to test out the menu's & features.

2726.6.2005 2:34
Gulfwindx

What would I need to use MS MCE and DIVX 6.0 It Has a VIDEO TAB in the GUI

2826.6.2005 6:09

So what about those of us who bought the Philips 630 player for DivX playback?

2926.6.2005 8:43
duckNrun

Kosmo: In the past I've bought Dr. DivX when I thought of converting my movie collection into a HDD collection. I Put that on hold waiting for a newer/better codec. I've been playing with the create bundle and used the DivX site to find answers, but to no avail. After using the New DivX Converter to convert a main movie VOB's I was extrremely pleased with the video quality. Here's my probs: 1) No matter what I do, my audio feed, once converted, is way too silent (have to turn volume almost up to max!). I adjusted the AC3 filter volume and used the 'big fix' but still not improved :o( 2) Unless I'm blind (lol) I cannot locate the codec configuration to enable me to adjust the encoding process (the site shows a GUI for it-- as in number of passes, bitrate all the goodies that Dr Divx included) all I have located in all the files/folders is the playback configuration 3) Is there a way to enable Dr. Divx (assuming I cannot 'adjust' the encoding process with the new Converter) to use the new codec? The Dr. had the option to boost audio and while that isnt' the 'ideal' fix (ideal being no fix needed) it's better than pumping my HTPC/Reciever volume almost up to max. Thanks

301.7.2005 7:05

Kosmonaut, Any news concerning altering the encoder settings (bitrate/audio/etc)? In Dr. Divx, it was simple enough...select Home Theater, change Audio to CBR MP3 192K, set to 1400MB and rock. There's got to be a way to either manually adjust these settings or create a 'profile' to load that contains custom settings concerning size/bitrate/etc. Please?

311.7.2005 8:31

We're still working on it. Something you might want to take a look at in the meantime, that will allow you to use DivX 6 within Dr. DivX: http://forums.divx.com/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/931101651/m/149105352/r/803103552#803103552 Let me know if I can help further. -Kosmonautbruce

321.7.2005 8:35

Sweet! You rock, as always. Glad to hear Dr. Divx is still alive.

335.7.2005 9:41

Yes, i have a question to as Kosmonautbruce. Can i have menues and other things which i'm unaware of, and still record my movies as a data cd. I asked this question before as i used Ulead DVD MovieFactory, but someone told me that this wont write it as a data cd and will decompress the movie files so a 4.7GB DVD would hold only 4 25min/movie. with DivX 6, will i still be able to write the movies as a data DVD, and still have menues and whatsoever. So in short, can i put instead of 4, 28 25min/movie and still use menues and other stuff. It's ok if i have to wait and buy a new DVD player, because on both cases, i still haven't bought one yet. Thanks.

Ow yes cause you've got such a heavy load around here....How you commin on that novel you've been working on...gotta big stack of papers there...gotta, gotta, gotta nice liitle...nice little story you've been working on there...the big, big novel you've been working on for three years...hu!tsk...gotta Propeling Protagonist, hu?...gotta gotta obsticle for him to overcome, hu?...little story you've been working on, tsk, working on for quite sometime hu? yeah, talking on that three years ago, hu?...been working on that the whole time?...nice little narrative beginning middle and end...some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends, hu?...at the end your main character is richer for the experience, ya?, ya?...ya?, you got the, NO NO, you you deserve some time off.

345.7.2005 9:50

Has anyone tried Divx to DVD

AMD 64X2 3800 Dual Core CPU
Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB-Seasonic600WPSU-WDRAPTORX150GIG HD 10,000RPM/WDCaviar SE 16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive/V/C MSI ATI ProTD-256E XI1600/2X1Gig Corsair XPS ram@3-3-3-8 1T
BenQ1640X3/BenQ1655/1650/1620/LG4163/Nec3520/3540
alan1476

355.7.2005 10:30

Dameem, If your DVD player can handle Divx files, it will support DivX 6 video, even in the container format, it will just not support menuing until your firmware is updated. As far as burning to DVD, that depends on the program, and how you choose to burn it. I know Nero will let you choose if you want video files burned as data (simply choose to create a data DVD and add files), or as a VCD/SVCD/DVD. Hope that helps. Aland, DivX to DVD should work as it has always worked. You'll need a DVD creator program, and as long as the program allows you to use any supported codec....and it supports at least DivX 5, you should not have any problems. I have not messed with trying to convert .divx menus to DVD menus, and that may not yet work properly, but as this is still a 'new' feature, I am sure we will see these abilities built into encoders/transcoders shortly as they move to support this new container format.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 05 Jul 2005 @ 10:31

/. this, Baby!

365.7.2005 11:00

Thanks DacobKaal on the fast reply and thanks, you did say what i wanted to know. Now i think the only question which remains is, who is going to be the first person/website to explain how to crete those menues and stuff so we can enjoy watching them on our wide screen TV's?? Regards.

375.7.2005 11:49

As stated, I haven't messed with the "Create bundle" yet, so I'm not going to be much help there. It's pointless at this point anyway, since the only way you'd be able to see the menus on a TV is by hooking your PC directly to it with a TV-Out card since no stand-aloneplayers currently officially support DivX 6.

/. this, Baby!

387.7.2005 13:09

You can create menus and the rest of the new DivX Media Format features in a very basic way with the DivX Converter program. A new version of AutoGK that includes these kinds of things is in the works but I don't know when it will released. We are going to be releasing a lot of tools to enable much more sophisticated menu creation also in the near future, it's just taking more time than we originally envisioned. As to playback of DivX 6 Media features on standalone players, that I can assure you is coming. We're working directly with manufacturers to get firmware upgrades out for this. Ok, I realize this is a lot of promise without a lot of specifics, but you will see these things over the next few months, it just depends on how hard we can get those engineers working! Let me know if I can answer any more questions. -Kosmonaut

DivX, Inc.
San Diego, CA

397.7.2005 13:59

Anyone caught a whiff of a firmware upgrade for DivX 6 for the Philips DVP642 yet? Thx.

408.7.2005 10:03

Kosmonaut, will you be posting info about such firmware updates here, or is there some other reliable place where users can find them? I, like many people, am a Philips 642 user and would really like to know when they release an update. Since their customer support is abominable it would be nice to know where we can find such information (and the DivX website doesn't seem to have anything, either). Thx.

418.7.2005 10:09

I would check at the DivX forums, particularly here: http://forums.divx.com/eve/ubb.x/a/frm/f/531101651 You might also check www.videohelp.com, the forums there are also quite good. -Kosmonaut

DivX, Inc.