AfterDawn: Tech news

UK games industry is shrinking

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 14 Apr 2007 19:11 User comments (10)

UK games industry is shrinking According to a Financial Times report, the number of gaming companies located in the United Kingdom has drastically fallen over the past six years. Last month, SCi Entertainment announced it would open a studio in Montreal, Canada, which would begin developing four games for next-generation systems. The move followed many other studios who have decided to move some interests away from the UK.
Tiga, the UK trade association for game developers, conducted a study which showed that in 2001, there was 400 independent game studios, but now there is only about 150. Australia and Canada have been successful at attracting developers by offering incentives for companies relocating to the regions. The state of Victoria in Australia offers A$375,000 over two years to locally based game developers.

In Canada, grants and tax breaks are offered to the companies. Many of the UK businesses have simply just closed too, while others have been acquired by bigger corporations.

Source:
GameSpot

Previous Next  

10 user comments

114.4.2007 19:57
vinny13
Inactive

I didn't even know the UK had a gaming industry :S

214.4.2007 22:01

well i knew that bullfrog (the makers of "theme park") was in uk but don't know if it still is?

315.4.2007 2:47
pigfister
Inactive

*cough* Bullfrog/Lionhead Studios, i mean populous was an amazing game way back when Peter Molyneux was the man but can you imaging these bedroom programmers being able to write the hundreds of thousands of lines of code that they now demand for modern games, and the extra expense of production especially for the likes of the ps3 because of the Blu-ray drive and complexity of programming required. all the bedroom talent is gone and the huge companies now command what is produced so the innovative days are surly gone and the likes of re hashes of games is the future in their eyes like ridge racer 26 ect. i mean as soon as Motostorm was released they announced Motostorm 2 ffs how sad is that?

415.4.2007 2:54

Rockstar North (GTA3/Vice City/San Andreas/Manhunt) is based in the UK (Scotland) and Rockstar Leeds was just opened not too long ago.

Shame there's not more companies in the UK though. :/

515.4.2007 9:03

the UK gets no respect the industry tries to hard to force regions and all it dose is cause strife and even devs chose to move when they can to get away from it.

616.4.2007 20:18

Quote:
The state of Victoria in Australia offers A$375,000 over two years to locally based game developers.
Maybe i should extend my computer qualifications to programming if working in Melbourne is like that it is a very attractive offer for future developers.

719.4.2007 7:56

In the UK The growth industry is Bureaucracy. This bunch has the foresight and imagination of a potato , well half a potato anyway.

The Service industry rules. Manufacturing is dissappearing .Innovation is out the window. The government has bought Bodyscanners for hospitals out of Lottery money that cant be used because no one has been trained to use them....

Thats the kind of forward thinking that is typical of these morons.

We really are in a sorry state here in the UK. Thanks to our outdated dinosaur democracy that is perpetuated every time we vote.

Vote for None of the Above....

819.4.2007 8:08

Originally posted by BUDDD:
In the UK The growth industry is Bureaucracy. This bunch has the foresight and imagination of a potato , well half a potato anyway.

The Service industry rules. Manufacturing is dissappearing .Innovation is out the window. The government has bought Bodyscanners for hospitals out of Lottery money that cant be used because no one has been trained to use them....

Thats the kind of forward thinking that is typical of these morons.

We really are in a sorry state here in the UK. Thanks to our outdated dinosaur democracy that is perpetuated every time we vote.

Vote for None of the Above....

----------------------------------------------------------------
well suds and shrooms grow no matter where you stick them 0-o

920.4.2007 7:14

Originally posted by vinny13:
I didn't even know the UK had a gaming industry :S

every heard of tomb raider and Rockstar?

1020.4.2007 7:57

Quote:
Originally posted by vinny13:
I didn't even know the UK had a gaming industry :S

every heard of tomb raider and Rockstar?

core kinda self imploded,or is it still making games?

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive