Wii stays far ahead with narrowing monthly lead in Japan

Written by James Delahunty (Google+) @ 03 Sep 2007 17:44 User comments (6)

Wii stays far ahead with narrowing monthly lead in Japan Nintendo Co Ltd's home console, Wii, stayed well ahead in Japan in August, but its lead narrowed for the second consecutive month. The company managed to move 245,653 units during the month, still far ahead of Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3), which sold 81,541 units, game magazine publisher Enterbrain said. Microsoft's Xbox 360 sold 11,288 units during the month.
In June the Wii sold 6 times more units than Sony's PS3, and 4 times more in July. The huge gap is helped by the sharp difference in price between a PlayStation 3 and a Wii, as the PS3 has a lot of powerful hardware under the hood including a Blu-ray disc drive and Cell processor.

To increase demand for the console, the PS3 will see a stronger game line-up for the vital fourth quarter, which include anticipated titles like the new Gran Turismo.

Source:
Yahoo (Reuters)

13.9.2007 19:14

ooo possibly the novelty of the mighty Wii is wearing off! cant wait for the price to get down to $200, might buy one!

24.9.2007 8:27

I would think that most people who bought the Wii this year are happy with it. At least from what I've heard and read from Wii owners. Yet, after experiencing the novelty of the Wii-mote, they are ready to shell out some cash for a real next gen console. And what better time for sales than the holiday season? They may be ready to experience one of the more powerful systems. But I doubt Nintendo will drop their price any time soon. I still maintain my theory that the Wii is just a temporary way to buy Nintendo some time and shake it up for the competition. Sort of like the political "Green Party." I feel the life of the Wii will be approximately 2 years, give or take, and that once that time is up, they will have a true next-gen console for us, incorporating all of the novelties that made the Wii so successful.

Maybe that's just wishful thinking ;-)

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 04 Sep 2007 @ 8:32

34.9.2007 8:44

Stores still sell all the wii's they recieve within hours of putting them on the shelves

44.9.2007 11:38

I just got to play the Wii the other day. I loved it, and am going to buy one as soon as I get some money :)

54.9.2007 15:46

@xugiua

I feel the same way. I keep trying to get a Wii, but the bills keep getting in the way...

610.9.2007 15:07

Wen gran tarismo comes out ps3 is going to make the lead very narrow. Nintendo will need to come up with a counter move.