AfterDawn: Tech news

MediaDefenders' source code is leaked

Written by Andre Yoskowitz (Google+) @ 22 Sep 2007 20:20 User comments (15)

MediaDefenders' source code is leaked After thoroughly embarrassing the RIAA watchdog Media Defender over the last week, the group calling itself MediaDefender-Defenders has struck again, this time leaking the full uncompiled source code to MD's anti-piracy toolset.
The software is used on behalf of the RIAA, as well as record labels to control the unauthorized distribution of copy written music, movies, games and programs.

“The [leak] is complete for their operations regarding Kazaa, bittorrent, gnutella etc. This system is … released for the public in order to identify the decoys [MediaDefender] set up,”
states the leak’s accompanying info file.

16 different tools in MediaDefender's toolset are aimed to target the Bittorrent network, including software to create bogus media files. The leak also includes tools for the control of many of the large filesharing networks including Ares, DirectConnect, eDonkey2000, FastTrack/Kazaa, Gnutella, Kademlia, Overnet, Piolet, SoulSeek and WinMX.

Making matters worse for Media Defender, the info file also thanks an unidentified MediaDefender employee, implying that the source code was sent directly from an employee.

MD has been sending out cease-and-desist notices to various BitTorrent trackers since the original leak admitting that “despite security precautions by our client, a person or persons illegally accessed MediaDefender's email and other files,” and that the sites in question “immediately and permanently cease and desist from posting, distributing or otherwise making available MediaDefender's trade secrets and confidential information.”

Some trackers have cooperated, others publicly mocked the request.

Source:
Dailytech

Previous Next  

15 user comments

122.9.2007 20:24

Freaking awesome, I can't wait to see what these guys do next. :D

222.9.2007 22:40
webe123
Inactive

I just hope that p2p programmers can put this to good use and help people avoid the traps that media defender sets.

322.9.2007 23:56

Quote:
16 different tools in MediaDefender's toolset are aimed to target the Bittorrent network, including software to create bogus media files. The leak also includes tools for the control of many of the large filesharing networks including Ares, DirectConnect, eDonkey2000, FastTrack/Kazaa, Gnutella, Kademlia, Overnet, Piolet, SoulSeek and WinMX.

Huh?! WinMX is dead! and so is eDonkey.

423.9.2007 5:46

ha ha

523.9.2007 7:28
hughjars
Inactive

......and fate, along with the 'normal' members of the human race, farts loudly in face of these vile scumbags.

LMAO

623.9.2007 8:22

haha kind of funny

723.9.2007 15:23

Dont keep me from my jenna jameson movies!!!

823.9.2007 15:47

score one for the pirates!

924.9.2007 2:55
nobrainer
Inactive

lol serves them right, if they had operated within the law and not used hackers to launch DDoS attacks and steal ppl's emails they would probably not have had such a bad time of it, now their company is ruined!

1024.9.2007 7:24

WOW...Star Wars Family Guy last night and now this today...can it get any better! :)

1124.9.2007 11:11

Quote:
MD has been sending out cease-and-desist notices to various BitTorrent trackers since the original leak admitting that “despite security precautions by our client, a person or persons illegally accessed MediaDefender's email and other files,” and that the sites in question “immediately and permanently cease and desist from posting, distributing or otherwise making available MediaDefender's trade secrets and confidential information.”

Fortunately they can't do the same with Usenet. A search of an indexing site today brought up a copy straight away, along with all those emails too. Technology is such a wonderful thing....

1225.9.2007 18:45

Originally posted by Krmnnghia:
WOW...Star Wars Family Guy last night and now this today...can it get any better! :)
I love that episode, that was funny stuff.....and the MD thing was pretty funny to.

1328.9.2007 16:12

These guys are on the rampage and are not going to leave anyone in their tracks. Gives us readers something exciting to read about.

1428.9.2007 18:42

[After thoroughly embarrassing the RIAA watchdog Media Defender over the last week, the group calling itself MediaDefender-Defenders has struck again, this time leaking the full uncompiled source code to MD's anti-piracy toolset.

The software is used on behalf of the RIAA, as well as record labels to control the unauthorized distribution of copy written music, movies, games and programs.

“The [leak] is complete for their operations regarding Kazaa, bittorrent, gnutella etc. This system is … released for the public in order to identify the decoys [MediaDefender] set up,” states the leak’s accompanying info file.]

Awesome, Wow, all I want to know is where can we get code, so we can protect ourselfs from these monsters!!!...
lol...
way 2 go guys...

1529.9.2007 5:22

Several Torrent sites are listing it. As I said before, it's also available on Usenet, if you have access to it. Personally I'd prefer usenet because it's quicker.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 29 Sep 2007 @ 5:23

Comments have been disabled for this article.

News archive